Desert Dilemmas and Juicy Themes (Ambitious Concept Brewing) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Eek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desert Dilemmas and Juicy Themes (Ambitious Concept Brewing)

Urgh,

I've only recently started collecting Guard.

Originally, what attracted me to them was their eternal humanity in the twisted sado-fascistic universe that is 40k.

After obsessing over the Codex, my next burst of inspiration compelled me to flesh out a Mercenary Company with lots of bizzare options and renamed/fluffed Doctrines and them having been former employee's of an infamous Rogue Trader turned heretic (in the eyes of the Imperium), hunted, his fleet blasted to oblivion by the Imperial Navy and this relatively unknown gang of oppourtunists escaping to now offer their services to the highest bidder and targets of opportunity on the fringes of Imperial space. . .

Now tho, i can't get the idea of a desert background for my pirate/mercs out of my head. The only problem with this is that terrain wise, what can Desert Worlds offer? You see i want to use the Cameleoline Doctrine but by its very nature it only provides bonuses when my lads are already receiving a cover save (i'm using part Cadian, part Glade Guard miniatures). You can see my dilemma. I have considered a few possibilities, such as:

1) A desert world consisting of large, mineral rich, rock shelves like the Grand Canyon or Frank Herbert's Dune.
    2) A world that has a sizable portion of its surface reduced to a barren, sandy wasteland due to an Imperial purge millenia ago but still has large filterable water reserves and rebuilt seperatist cities or sophisticated underground enclaves.
    3) A world recently reassimilated into the Imperium but although paying tithe have no real love for the Imperial Cult and its xenophobic overtones. Desert makes up a majority of the surface but there a splattered oasis and underground oceans that make life hospitable tho harsh.
    4) Using the Death World Veterans list or similar Codex: Imperial Guard Doctrines and reworking the Catachan Deathworld terrain/monster generator and having sinking sand zones, Star Wars 'Sarlak' like critters, native Tyranid Ravener type beasties and bizzare and hardy desert foliage that takes moisure from the air at dawn and blood from the foolish at night. . .

Now i want to stress the Rogue Trader/Xenos Friendly/Unsanctioned Technology aspect of my original idea but home them on a predominately Desert World. . . so a clean cut Deathworld Veteran list is a little too restrictive in terms of vehicles and things. (I'm in love with Sentinel Models, Hellhound Rules, and Chimera Transports - i can deal with a lack of Leman Russes. . .)

I'm looking for advice, comments, ideas for what i've outlined above. I myself am pretty attracted to the 4th concept (actually a mix of all them to be honest) but as a love of Cameleoline compells me, i want to use a Doctrinal Codex IG list but make the modified DeathWorld Terrain Features and integral part of my board.

Basically i'm yearning for some inspired feeback! Anyone who has a desert themed IG force or who plays with a group on desert boards is encouraged to reply. Also, what foe would be most appropriate for a protracted campaign against my guys?

Lastly, can a Deathworld Veteran Army compete with all other forces or is it more of a niche army suitable against only a handful of races? Provided i use the modified Terrain to make my desert scape as formidable and harsh as Catachan (and with Cameleoline, translating those precious cover saves to cityfight and any other terran intensive maps) can my themed guys, light on the Heavy Support, compete with the power armored denisens of the 40k universe?

So in summary, i want to know:

What you guys think of the overal concept (the back ground of my guys and their world/base of operations).
    If an all Infantry (and sentinel) Codex: Imperial Guard army is competative.
    If not, should i seriously consider a desert themed DeathWorld Veteran Army? (The Codex encourges you to re-theme the jungle background into ash wates or volcano world, etc if you wish)
    Anything you feel could help me turn these thoughts into action.

PS: I'll hopefully post a pic of one of my Glade Guard/Cadian Guardsmen tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I personally think an all-infantry army, with or without sentinels, is a very viable force. You can field lots of heavy weapons and you can put a lot of wounds on the table for very few points. Four full size platoons give you 20+ heavy weapons and 225 guardsmen for somewhere around 1750 points. That's a lot to kill. Plus such a list means that any points an opponent spends on anti-armor are basically wasted. Even if it succeeded in every hit and wound roll, I don't think a broadside can kill its worth in guardsmen over 6 turns.

As for desert terrain, "planet bowling ball" (quote the Mech Tau site) would favor all-infantry because you'd have open lanes of fire for all your heavies and lasguns.

Rocky crags are another good option (think about all the westerns where there are gunfights on rocky desert canyons and hillsides covered with scree).

Dunes would also be interesting terrain. Two or three long ridges of foamboard across a table would make for very interesting line of sight and interesting games. Units on a dune would be able to fire at many targets, but would be vulnerable. Advancing units would become vulnerable to fire as they crest dunes, and so would advance in and out of cover.

Mines or other industrial facilities like oil fields would add some variety. All depends on what kind of scenery you're looking to build.

Xenos mounts and or giant lizards would fit such a list well (Forgeworld's mounted Tallarn are phenomenal), and add some heavier punch.

In my HQ, Currently Giving an Inspiring Speech to my Guardsman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great ideas and fluff, anyway, an all infantry army is very possible, and can be effective, you just need how to use it.

The doctrines I would take are:

Light Infantry
    Sharpshooters
    Veterans
    Heavy Weapons Platoons
    Rough Riders

And if you were going to use vehicles, I would use Sentinels, and maybe even Chimeras, but no heavy tanks like Leman Russ's
    ...And they shall fear the lasgun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the fluff, not being a fluff master i couldn't comment on its validity but it sounds good, and i'm sure that with 100+ lasguns on the table you're sure to score at least a few wounds. Then again, i've been known to fire 60 shots and achieve exactly nothing...

Anyway, an idea to think about, instead of covering the board in terrain you could model it to suggest sand storms and things and count that as cover. I'm not sure how you'd go about it, pehaps modelling a few mini-tornado type things are glueing your flock on in windswept, circular patterns.

Hope i've helped.
    They shall be my Imperial Guard and they shall know some fear...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Deathworld veterans work great against pretty much all armies actually (as long as they fight in the woods). Their 4+ cover save and ability to see up to 12" in the woods (not to mention a WS of 4) is amazingly useful.

I usually get smoked everytime i play against deathworld...the ambush ability is just murder, and it makes your opponent so paranoid that he'll be taking the long way around the forest, which buys your more time to shoot at him and spring traps.

+ Reply to Thread