CC Imperial Gaurd HQ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CC Imperial Gaurd HQ

What would a typical close cobat oriented HQ squad for the Imperial Gaurd consist of. I'm looking for a rather deadly close combat HQ squad to offset the crappyness of the rest of the Imperial Armies CC abilities. They proved themselves in the last battle. I had 2 Commisers, Gaunt, and a few other things. They crushed terminators and a Chaplain.

Are they really worth the point cost overall or should I spend points on other things. I know Commiser Yarrak is good but he is expensive so I probably don't want him. I would Like to include Gaunt because he is relatively cheap.

Any Ideas of a deadly HQ squad whithout taking up too many points?

Thanks for the info

"Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword"!
    (Says the Officer manning the pintle mounted storm bolter to the tank driver)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I would take Gaunt, he's pretty cheap with good stats.
    Also, A HSO his squad all vets a comissar or maybe even a priest. All tooled up with power fists and power weapons.
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

well, i've got a mordian army that uses the droctrines in the back of the book, and so my command squad looks as follows:

Heroic Senior w/ power weapon, bolt pistol, carapace, refractor field, and medallion crimson
    Comissar w/ power fist (master crafted), bolt pistol, carapace, refractor,
    Psyker w/ force weapon, bolt pistol, carapace, medallion crimson, and honorifica imperialus
    standard bearer
    heavy bolter w/ crew
    grenade launcher

I've found this unit to be undeniably sick in cc. on the charge, you've got

5 power weapon attacks
    5 force weapon attacks
    4 power fist attacks (re-roll one miss)
    9 regular attacks

In one game, a hive tyrant was totally owning a blood angels command squad (they couldnt cause a single wound to the HT), and I bailed them out with my IG command squad, killing the hive tyrant in a single round of CC.

If you wanted to and had the doctrines to spare, add a priest in there with an eviscerator or something, and you'll be mowing down EVERYTHING (cept maybe a carnifex...i'd highly reccomend never charging one of those)

But anyways, this command squad i've shown you has actually been the difference between winning and losing. One game i played, they got charged by six tyranid warriors, and i killed all the warriors in the first round...now THOSE are some tough grunts!

anyways, hope this helped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neferata
    well, i've got a mordian army that uses the droctrines in the back of the book, and so my command squad looks as follows:

Heroic Senior w/ power weapon, bolt pistol, carapace, refractor field, and medallion crimson
    Comissar w/ power fist (master crafted), bolt pistol, carapace, refractor,
    Psyker w/ force weapon, bolt pistol, carapace, medallion crimson, and honorifica imperialus
    standard bearer
    heavy bolter w/ crew
    grenade launcher

I've found this unit to be undeniably sick in cc. on the charge, you've got

5 power weapon attacks
    5 force weapon attacks
    4 power fist attacks (re-roll one miss)
    9 regular attacks

In one game, a hive tyrant was totally owning a blood angels command squad (they couldnt cause a single wound to the HT), and I bailed them out with my IG command squad, killing the hive tyrant in a single round of CC.

If you wanted to and had the doctrines to spare, add a priest in there with an eviscerator or something, and you'll be mowing down EVERYTHING (cept maybe a carnifex...i'd highly reccomend never charging one of those)

But anyways, this command squad i've shown you has actually been the difference between winning and losing. One game i played, they got charged by six tyranid warriors, and i killed all the warriors in the first round...now THOSE are some tough grunts!

anyways, hope this helped

Thanks a lot Ill keep that in mind. I always thought Psykers were weak. I never though of putting that medal on them. Ill try out your HQ and tell you the results later. Thanks again. As you can tell Gaunt is my favorite HQ Time to show Master Calgar what Close Combat means!
    "Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword"!
    (Says the Officer manning the pintle mounted storm bolter to the tank driver)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind, though, that a squad like that is going to get really expensive for IG. Though it surely can pack a wallop in CC, you'll have to really be careful when picking targets. Taking out a Hive Tyrant is an excellent use of it, since you can remove models sans power weapons/fists before striking back with said power weapons/fists and killing the beast. But I would not look to trying to take out squads of Khornate Berserkers or lots of Orks, since they'll be overwhemeld quickly. Just make sure the squad earns its points back before dying.
    We'll show these filthy aliens what Imperial Guard are made of!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Good point Fish. I never use my command squad to go hunting down enemy units. They're purpose for most of the game is to sit safely in the back, and benefit people with leadership and the battle standard. I only plunge them into CC once the enemy has broken through my lines. Usually by this point the enemy has been weakened enough from all my shooting that my command squad can just mop up the problem and return to the back of the field (at least thats what I hope for).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

A good Counter assault Command squad to me, without being too expensive would be:

HSO, Carapace, Refracter, Power weapon, Plasma pistol.
    2 x Flamers
    Standard
    Commissar, Power Fist, Carapace, Refracter.

Something that can mop up all but the uber nasty CC squads.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread