A waste of potential? - Teleporting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A waste of potential? - Teleporting

Teleporting a terminator squad.

I used to think it was well good - All of my veteran sergents (infiltrating) had a teleport homer. I could drop the termies wherever I needed and give my enemy a hell of a shock!

However, recently I have started to question wether teleporting is such a good idea. The cost of the terminators really means that they have to start hitting things early. This is great if they drop in on turn 2 and start laying into things with the assault cannons and storm bolters. However, if you are unlucky you can spend over half the game with a well expensive squad off the board.

So consider this - is it better to start footslogging terminators at the front of the deployment zone at the beginning of the game (remembering that they can shoot and move) or is it better to wait and teleport them, risking them not getting into the game until too late?

(Note that this discussion should relate to shooty terminators rather than assaulters).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the general format at the moment Is to avoid teleporting and to use drop-pods mainly because they are safer and for the extra 30pts well worth It to protect that pricey unit,
    The only valid reason I can think of for teleporting would be If you were using Lysander with multiple squads where the reserve roll can be re-rolled then ALL squads come In at the same time thus giving your opponent many different targets.
    FLAME ON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My terminators usually get shot down whatever I do so i just put them in a land raider and move it up. It will attract lots of fire so your other squads can get in. You can also fire with the power of the machine spirit even if you move the full distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with drop-podding is that the terminators still spend some time (potentially most of the game) off the board. My question is generally about wether to risk them not really getting involved until too late (any deployment method invlovling them being in reserve) or wether it is better to start them on the board (stomping fowards and shooting as they go).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok then,
    If your going to stick them In reserve then use drop-pods look at post above for reasoning.
    As for having them on the board from the start thats fine BUT they should really have a LRC (18" charge!) to do this, the main reason being that where ass-cannons are great and can shoot from the start (rather have a squadron of tornado's for that job) theres not much point IN having a 250+ squad walking up the field Is there? You'll really want them In the thick of the action making those VC'c back (Drop pod/ LRC).
    Last edited by Cadian7th; October 3rd, 2005 at 15:36.
    FLAME ON!

Senior Member DominionWeaponsGroup's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -66 (x0)

"getting them in there" probably isn't the best way to play shooty terminators. if you really feel the need to do that, play furious assaulting assault terminators. I never deepstrike them and rarely to I put them in a LR of any kind. placed at the edge of your deployment zone they will usually get 2nd turn shots and occasionally 1st turn. that and they draw an immense amount of fire that is often times wasted on their invulnerable saves as opposed to killing your marines.
    Take life seriously, its lethal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are using "shooty termies" then bring em on the board at the begining and blaze away. But why waste the points in basically an uber devestator squad. just bring devestators. Termies are designed to get into the thick of things. I like the teleport because your opponet doesn't know where they are going to come in at. But if you don't want that toss em in a LR. I just think they are to expensive to be slogging it across the board for half the game.

lh19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by warmaster89
    My terminators usually get shot down whatever I do so i just put them in a land raider and move it up. It will attract lots of fire so your other squads can get in. You can also fire with the power of the machine spirit even if you move the full distance.
    No, you can't. You can only fire the extra gun if you move <6".
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x4)

Honestly it depends on the speede of the rest of your army. I find that 5 man termie squads with 2 cyclone missile launchers are fantastic additions to walk and shoot armies.

My personal favorite army like this had 2 traights, wisdom of the ancients, and cleanse and purify. in the largest game it was comprised of 2 Termie command squads, with 2 cyclones each, 3 terminator squads, with 2 cyclones each, 3 dreads with TLLC and ML, and 4 infantry squads with 2 plasma guns each. It worked brilliantly against the 2 armies I saw it face. Against a DE army, it slowly swept forward, downing every transport with the dreads or termies cyclones and slowly getting various DE squad in range of bolters and storm bolters. The 50 storm bolter shots took care of a rather remarkable ammount of warriors and wyches before the tactical squads (who were moving, as everyone was) got there with their bolters and plasma guns. Against tyranids, all he did was deploy in his deployment zone and move laterally to concentrate his firepower where it needed to be. His tactical squads formed a battle line in front of the ground the termies and dreads were moving back and forth in it. Not a single brood of tyranids got anywhere near the battle line. It was actually pure poetry.

So there are reasons to start termies on the board, it all depends on their role in your army.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by lighthorse19
    If you are using "shooty termies" then bring em on the board at the begining and blaze away. But why waste the points in basically an uber devestator squad. just bring devestators. Termies are designed to get into the thick of things. I like the teleport because your opponet doesn't know where they are going to come in at. But if you don't want that toss em in a LR. I just think they are to expensive to be slogging it across the board for half the game.

lh19
    The main difference between shooty-terminators and devestators is that shooty terminators can move and shoot. While, with sufficient terrain, a clever enemy can render your devestators nearly useless (by staying out of LOS), it is much much harder to do this against Terminators, since they can move before firing in order to obtain LOS. Plus, the Assault Cannon is far better than a lascannon, missile launcher, plasma cannon, or any other heavy weapon a Devesataor squad can bring (possibly excepting the plasma cannon, but probably not). It lacks range compared to these weapons, sure, but on mobile platforms this doesn't, actually, tend to matter all that much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast