An Interesting Thing I Stumbled On... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...first, to get two things out of the way: New to this forum, new to Imperial Guard. Now that those are done...

I planned out my 2000 point army (which is at a spankin' 1999, woot) and out of that, I have 131 men (anything that isn't a tank) and 3 tanks. Out of that 131 or so, I have around 51 guys who can infiltrate.

This is due to two things: six hardened veterans, which is fun, and an Infantry Platoon of a Command Squad and four Infantry Squads...I gave that "unit" the Light Infantry Doctrine, allowing them to do all sorts of weird things. Now...just to get this straight, that "unit" is the entire Platoon, right? That's what I get out of it...

And on top of that, wouldn't that be kind of dangerous for opposing armies, having 45 men all of a sudden pop up behind them because of one Doctrine that costs 10 pts? Don't get me wrong...I'm loving it I'm just not sure if I'm getting the right meaning. Someone care to explain it?

A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow.
    The Tactica Imperium

<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=22782' target='_blank'>The Kalabin 3rd and Last</a>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Well, just a couple things to point out. The first thing is that you have to pay 10 points per each squad that is taking the doctrine. This means that those 45 guys will pay 50 points to be light infantry, which aint bad, but it aint as good as Sharpshooter IMO.
    Second is, what exactly do you mean by "pop up behind them" ? You still have to deploy your troops as normal, except that light infantry allows you to deploy those squads following the Infiltrators special rule. Infiltrators is specific for each mission but is usually only one of two things: Deploy anywhere on table up to 18" from enemy troops or get an extra move before game starts.
    Deep strike will allow you to pop up behind troops, but there are usually a lot of variables that can make a deep strike go really really wrong; you MIGHT end up behind their troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole thing I meant by that was this: The Doctrine doesn&#39;t say that you have to have it per squad...it says +10 points per unit...now, I don&#39;t know if this means squad or Platoon, but the way it makes it sound I think it refers to even a whole Infantry Platoon as one "unit."
    A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow.
    The Tactica Imperium

<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=22782' target='_blank'>The Kalabin 3rd and Last</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read this thread

Doctrines pricing

This was basically covered there.

Uncle Jesse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think by unit they mean each squad because giving an entire platoon that doctrine for only 10 pts is just insane. I was also wondering how your Hardened Veterans do for you cuz i am thinking about using them ( i am also new to IG)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the other thread link and for the answers to all this...one last question, sorry to keep bugging you. Say I had a Platoon with a command squad and 2 infantry squads...that&#39;d be sixty points for carapace armor...but would that technically count as one Doctrine point, or three of the five given?
    The Tactica Imperium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Once you have spent one of your five points on a doctrine, then you can give your army as much of that doctrine as you want (As long as that troop type can have the doctrine). Spending one of the five points only opens up the possibility of using that doctrine, it doesn&#39;t limit you to how many squads or anything. However, with any of the things under the special equipment section you HAVE to apply them to all units that can take them. Carapace armor, therefore, HAS to go on ALL infantry troops if you put it on one infantry troop, and yes, you have to pay the points for every squad it goes on. (CA has the option, however, of only being applied to Rough Riders if you choose)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, dude, thanks...that really scared the crap out of me for a second. So, basically, it just costs a lot of points...aight, thanks a lot for clearing up that situation.
    The Tactica Imperium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were did you get the idea that "all infantry units" would be required to have carapace armour? For instance with drop troop type armies in the previous ig rules, you could field units with carapace armour as well as standard infantry platoons. So what I gathered is that, by choosing the carapace armour (or whatever) as special equipment, you regiment now has the "option" of using said equipment, but not a requirement.
    *Fart* "Keep talking sir, we'll find you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Nope. If you read the paragraph just above the special equipment section it clearly states that if you choose special equipment, then you have to take it for each and every unit that can have it. The only caveat is that you can take SOME pieces of special equipment and only apply it to rough riders, like carapace armor.
    Drop Troops, however, is a regimental doctrine and not a piece of special equipment. Drop Troops can be given to ANY unit that you choose as long as it is not a vehicle.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast