Help for a new DH player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help for a new DH player

My friend, completly new to 40k, has chosen to start off with an army of Daemonhunters.... Just one problem, i know nothing of how to make an effective DH force. So, what would be needed for a 500-1000 pt force able to be grown in a daemonhunter army? Generally, he was attracted to DH for the power of termies and Grey Knights, so if possible, how much focus should be these troops?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, suprisingly there are many different ways, if he wants to Deep Strike his whole army he could just a buy a box and 2 more Inquisitorial Storm Troopers to have the minimum amount necessary, thats one way for fielding an assload of Gks, or you can have completly purely Grey Knights sadly if daemons were made of steel and ceramite we wouldnt stand a chance the best bet for anti-tank would be I.G. other than that A Dreadnought or a Land Raider-but I'd say go with the Crusader if you get one

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

The problem with a 500-1000 point army list and loving Grey Knights is simple: you're going to be vastly outnumbered, and I believe that it has more of a mark in smaller games than larger.

I'd recommend using IST (Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, get some of the awesome Kasrkin models ) for his Troops and using Grey Knights in Fast Attack slots, with maybe a Grand Master/Terminator Retinue to boost the CC, and finally have a Dreadnought geared for anti-tank.

That's just me, though. I'm a huge GK fan, too, and I'd probably make lists using GK's, GK's, and more GK's ... :shifty:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 500-1000 point all-GK list *can* be effective. With low points, however, you must remember the cardinal rule:

PAGK (Power Armor Grek Knights)

Don't get fancy with your army list. PAGK are expensive. You will be outnumbered. PAGK are expensive. PAGK are good at shooting and are good at close combat. You don't need anything other than PAGK, except for possibly some anti-tank if you will face vehicles.

Take as many PAGK as you can. Sure, it sounds boring. It'd be nice to whip out neat units from the codex, GKT (Grey Knight Terminators), =I=, Land Raiders, Assassins, etc. Skip them. Take as many PAGK as you can. Other than perhaps buying a Grandmaster (closer to 1000 points preferable) just buy PAGK. Throw some melta-bombs on justicars. *Maybe* buy 1 or 2 dreadnoughts for ranged anti-tank support, or perhaps an Orbital Strike instead. Buy more PAGK. They are versitle and can do any role needed, unlike most troops. It's only when games get 1500+ that a pure GK list can afford to take options like GKT, Assassins, LRs, etc.

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestion, never take GKT except as a bodyguard for a GK hero. In a 1,000 pt battle, give your HQ a few Grey Knight Termies to take on the hard stuff. Even in higher pts battles, dont take elites GKT, just add GKT to your heros retinue. Until you get into the 25000 pt range, you should only ever have 5 GKT on the table. For your firends 1000 pt force, I agree with dvang, take alot of power armor grey knights. But also take ISt with a couple plasma guns. Devastating to marine equivalents. And always take an anti tank dreadnought if they will take vehicles. This is a basic list that he can feel free to change alot:
    1000 pts
    Grey Knight Brother Captain
    3 GKT

10 PAGK meltabombs
    10 PAGK meltabombs

5 IST- 2 /w plasma guns

Dreadnought-TLLC, ML

Or drop the GKT for more PAGK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliusGaiusCaesar
    1000 pts
    Grey Knight Brother Captain
    3 GKT

10 PAGK meltabombs
    10 PAGK meltabombs

5 IST- 2 /w plasma guns

Dreadnought-TLLC, ML

Or drop the GKT for more PAGK
    I'd dump the termies, make the IST's a ten man squad with meltas, and a rhino.

Alternatively, you could get rid of the IST's and the termies and add a dread with an Assault Cannon/Dreadnought Close-combat weapon and add another BC or upgrade the current one to a GM.

Just a few thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

+ Reply to Thread