Need Some Suggestions... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering, for a 2000 pt. army, what a decent amount of troops/tanks would be? Most of my armies that I've planned and replanned have come out to be roughly 125 troops and 3 tanks...can I afford to have less than that to beef up some of my troops and tanks alike, maybe add a Chimera?

A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow.
    The Tactica Imperium

<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=22782' target='_blank'>The Kalabin 3rd and Last</a>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also...are Sentinels really worth it? To have 3 Sentinels with Autocannon and Armoured Crew Compartment, they are 65 points apiece...bringing the total for one decent squad of Sentinels to a total of 195 points. Are they worth it?
    A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow.
    The Tactica Imperium

<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=22782' target='_blank'>The Kalabin 3rd and Last</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

If you are going to be playing 2000 point games, then you have a LOT of stuff to work with. I suggest taking no fewer than 6 squads (Not units ) of infantry with a heavy weapon for each. Then I would take a couple squads of hardened vets with lascannons and plasma rifles. These are very powerful weapons and benefit from the higher BS skill of vets.
    My personal rule on tanks is no more than 1 for every 500 points. The first two choices should be a Regular Leman Russ and A Basilisk. The basilisk is quite possibly the best tank in the game aside from the Monolith, but you don&#39;t have that choice... <_< From there you can take anything that you want. I use a Demolisher with Lascannon and Plasma Cannon sponsons. That thing is deadly as heck, especially to Terminators and anything with a high TO.
    If you have that many points to work with, then I would take a squad of heavy bolters, autocannons and lascannons EACH. This will keep your opponent very very busy.
    Yet again, with that many points I would also take a unit of 3 Sentinels. They are really really great tanks despite what people might say. My I would arm them just as you have said, with Autocannons and then give them Smoke Launchers. This might keep them alive for one turn if they get targeted.
    My last suggestion is to take a unit of 6 Ogryn and a Priest with the Eviscerator. This unit will create havoc on a charge, but after their first turn, they usually lose their momentum greatly or die horribly to powerfists and such.
    I&#39;m not sure what all this will add up to points wise, but it will probably come close to 2000, since my army has nearly all of the above suggestions with just a couple things missing because of my points limits at the store that I play at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m not a big fan of Ogryns...and without the Veterans doctrine, I can&#39;t get more than one squad of Hardened Veterans. I&#39;m thinking maybe an army of around 100 or so guys, 3 tanks, and 3 sentinels...think that&#39;d be decent? I want at least a squad of Veterans...as good as Storm Troopers are, Veterans beat &#39;em with firepower. I&#39;m not doing any priests because I&#39;d have to have one in my Command Platoon due to the new Advisors rule, so I don&#39;t want to waste points on that...I&#39;ll base off of what I already want right now, that&#39;ll be probably...three platoons of 25 guys each, for 75 guys. I&#39;ll add more or less...any other suggestions?
    The Tactica Imperium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key to success with the sentinels is their low base cost. The armoured crew compartments are not worth it, but the base sentinel is. I have three atm, two with multilasers and one with auto cannon. They perform well when I play, usually earning back their points and then some. =)

With a multilaser you get three shots, no AP to speak of but fairly good strength... for 10 points&#33; That&#39;s 45 points a model... they pack quite a punch for that price, I must tell you&#33;

Don&#39;t forget the way the sentinel squads work either. If you put three of them in a squad, your opponent just targets the squad and blows the crap out of it. If you have three Fast Attack choices available, put them in separate squads (one in each, heh). This prolongs their life quite a bit.

/Phreedh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chimera&#39;s are woth there points; Even if your not attacking, you get a fire base for under 100 pts ( Multi-laser, hull heavy bolter ect ). Plus with front armour 12, it can clear the enemy&#39;s grunts.

I have no idea how to use sentinels. I wanted to buy three of them for there autocannons but at 50 pts each...150 for the squad and only armour ten. Which means normal footsloggers are going to be able to take him down. Also im not a fan of the autocannon... ap4 doesn&#39;t really warrant taking it since you will only hit half the time, wound no probem, but then a 3+ armour save gets to be made...to out of 6 shots you kill what, like a marine?I think I would take lascannons, which are expensive. <:>
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add a Chimera? You mean that you do not already have one? Yuck&#33;

Perhaps I cannot think straight because I am a treadhead. :o I believe that a decent amount of tanks in a 1000 point battle is about 3-4, let alone 2000. I usually take an Armoured Fist Squad even in a small battle and Mechanise my army when I feel like it

However, unless you have a good understanding of tanktics and how to get the most from your armour I would recommend following the advise of HourGlass.
    IG since &#39;95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last thing I&#39;m wondering about...
    How many people, like actual models, should I aim for?

I&#39;m thinking about, roughly...:

100 or so people (including Heavy Weapon Crews)
    3 or 4 tanks
    3 Sentinels

Thoughts on that?
    The Tactica Imperium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

That looks about right. I have pretty much the same setup in my army. Of course, I also have an armored company, so I have a lot of tanks to choose from. If I were you, though, I would go buy one squad of Ogryn, at least one chimera and a squad of ratling snipers. You don&#39;t have to put them all or any of them in every army you make, but one day you&#39;ll wish you had them. Trust me on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm...the more I think about, Ogryns are very tempting. The only thing hindering my decision is the fact that they&#39;re 25 pts. apiece plus a Bone &#39;ead, which on top of being something I&#39;d get, sounds like an Ork name =P, for 35 pts....now, the second thing that is making me hesitant is their real cost. I&#39;ve heard they&#39;re &#036;50 for only 5, much the same as the Grey Knight Terminators. Ah, well...I&#39;ll think about it. I just realized I need a job...And if I get Ratling Snipers, I&#39;m using the Cadian Snipers models definitely. Much cooler.
    The Tactica Imperium

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast