Heavy weapons in 1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Heavy weapons in 1500

OK I'm very inexperienced with guard (ie I've made a list but have never played with them) and was wondering if my heavy weapons configuration is about what you vet players would expect to see.

In my 1500 list I have 3 lascannons (1 on a sentinel), 1 missile launcher, 1 heavy bolter, and 5 Autocannons (1 on a sentinel).

Is this enough to face most 1500 point armies? Too much? Is there even such thing as too many heavy weapons? I'm flying blind here...

Any comments would be much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rule of thumb, on every infanty squad give them a heavy weapon and a speical weapon.
    Your lascannon numbers are abit lacking sicne one is on a sentinal. Personally I woudl get more heavy bolters and missle launchers btu you have enough I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recomend more Lascannons at 1500 I like 6, either 2 Anti Tank teams with Las Cannons or 1 Anti Tank team and at lest 2 sentinals w lascannons. (If you have at least 3 Missile Launchers you can get away with 3 Lascanons)

Forget Heavy Bolters and the such just put a Chimera in your army and use it as fire support more than a troop transport. Mobile Heavy Weapons

Missile Launchers work best in Hardened Vet Units or Infantry Squads. Plasma Weapons or Grenade Launchers are good compliment to ML.

Auto Cannons are great if your fighting tou or expecting a lot of light armor. I like the idea of them either on my hardened vets or my sentinals as both can get in forward positions and exploit side shots on tanks and such.

With your current set up you really really should take the Infiltrator and Deep Strike doctorines. Auto Cannons kick but when you can get side and back shots on tanks but suck against front armor values.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

I was going to say you needed more Lascannons, but you have a lot of Autocannons, which should be able to take out transports, while the Lascannons take out Heavys.

I would like to see a couple of the Autocannons exchanged for Missle Launchers, and I hope hope you have a lot of Plasma for Special weapons, as you need some AP2.

Cheers!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Think about what target each heavy handles best, compare that to what opponents you're likely to see, what they're likely to field in 1500 points, and adjust accordingly.

Lascannons work best on 2+ saves and heavy armor.

Missile Launchers work best on 3+ saves, can handle heavy armor, and get a blast on light infantry.

Autocannons are only really dominant against light armor and transports because they stink vs. MEq or better.

Heavy Bolters are great against sub-MEq infantry.

So for Marines, you'll want to go Lascannon heavy, while for Tau, Autocannons and Heavy Bolters are more appropriate.

If your list is meant to be an all-comers list, you can't really go wrong by focusing on Missile Launchers, plus a couple Lascannons, Autocannons, and Heavy Bolters for specific uses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik
    OK I'm very inexperienced with guard (ie I've made a list but have never played with them) and was wondering if my heavy weapons configuration is about what you vet players would expect to see.

In my 1500 list I have 3 lascannons (1 on a sentinel), 1 missile launcher, 1 heavy bolter, and 5 Autocannons (1 on a sentinel).

Is this enough to face most 1500 point armies? Too much? Is there even such thing as too many heavy weapons? I'm flying blind here...

Any comments would be much appreciated
    hmmmmm for me autocannons are a waste. they are the same points as a missle launcher but way less versitle. the max i would have in a army would be 2.

you are short on lascannons IMO.... i usually field atleast 4 and thats just in my squads ( vets and normal guardsmen )

h.bolters are awesome tools, very versitle.... and CHEAP! i usually put one in my command squads cause the enemy wont make them HIGH priority so they often last allot longer then if i put a lascannon in there....

missle launchers are decent but remember for a extra 5pts u can upgrade to a lascannon and get that extra STR and AP

to me ur heavy weapons are very limited i would rethink your army a bit... maybe post ur army list and we could help even more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x5)

Thanks for the comments everyone, very helpful. I'll just give you some more info:

To the person who said "I hope you have plasma", my special weapons are 7 plasma guns (and a plasma pistol) and 2 melta guns!

To the person who said "I hope you are infiltrating or drop troops" it is a ninja themed army with the light infantry doctrine!

To the person who said get a chimera, I should have mentioned it is all infantry (with some witch hunter allies) so that's why there probably aren't quite so many HW as you'd expect for an all-infantry 1500.

I thought autocannons seemed like the perfect all around weapon but I just looked them up and they're AP4 not AP3 dammit!

So general consensus is swap out some autocannons for heavy bolters and more lascannons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Actually I'd switch 3 of the autocannons for missile launchers, and the other two for heavy bolters. Your balance of heavy weapons would then be 3 lascannons, 4 missile launchers, and 3 heavy bolters. You'd have pure anti-tank, pure anti-infantry, and a good amount of versatile weaponry (missile launchers).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Choices.

Sounds like your army will have lots of character. Character means fun and that's what the game is about. If we all played vanillla marines I bet there would be alot less of us playing.

Senior Member Bobby_Wokkerfella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Since no one has mentioned this yet I shall be the first to say, The only time you have TOO many heavy weapons is when they outnumber your troops. Apart from that, I agree with Sokhar's suggestion, though I would maybe add 2 more autocannons. Like I said, you can never have enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast