HQ Command - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HQ Command

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ Command

I know, we already have a tactica in progress on this subject. I've read the posts on the subject. My questions are a little more general:

At what size would you field a HQ squad? What would you compose it of?

I have some neato models painted up (not that I consider myself a pro painter by any stretch): Force commander. Librarian. Chaplain. Standard Bearer. Apothecary. Techmarine (the old-school, not the new uber Doc Octopus guy with servitors).

The Force Commander, Librarian, and Chappy have already seen battle, but I've never fielded a full-on Command Squad, and they are just such neat models that it's a shame.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that you have to find a good balance for your command squad. You have to balance quality of the troops, and the quantity, because this squad is going to get shot at.
    ~~~~~|\~~~~
    shark in the water

"Your kid puked on me. I should get extra marks for that."
    -Jess Norgaard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doh, I forgot all about the Company Champion, too! I ordered an Emperor's Champion to convert for this purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Unfortunately, the only good reasons to use a command squad are for deploying with a squad (transports, infiltarting, teleporting) or to gain a skill (furious charge, tank hunters, infiltrate).

Unfortunately, the inclusion of the command squad special characters is not reason enough. Both apothercaries and standard bearers are not worth their points and company champuions, well they are good, but for close combat youd be better off with an attached assault squad.

The one time an apothecary IS useful is in a shooty command squad. Most common one I have seen is infiltrate and 2 plasma cannons. Other then that though, I would never take a command squad.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Xuy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn
    Unfortunately, the only good reasons to use a command squad are for deploying with a squad (transports, infiltarting, teleporting) or to gain a skill (furious charge, tank hunters, infiltrate).

Unfortunately, the inclusion of the command squad special characters is not reason enough. Both apothercaries and standard bearers are not worth their points and company champuions, well they are good, but for close combat youd be better off with an attached assault squad.

The one time an apothecary IS useful is in a shooty command squad. Most common one I have seen is infiltrate and 2 plasma cannons. Other then that though, I would never take a command squad.
    How true!
    A billion chinese can't be wrong - eat rice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I'm going to field a Command squad this weekend in an 1800 pt game:
    Librarian, Apothocary, Standard Bearer, Vet Sgt w PF, 4 marines (2 with Las Cannons)

I have 4x 6 man Lascannon TAC squads as a fire base and plan to use the 6" and 12" radius special abilities of the command squad to hold them together when taking casualties.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn

Yes i totally agree.
    I dont really find that much use for the command squad and have never used one before.They are a nice squad to convert and paint up and all but on the board they arent worth it IMO.
    I find attaching my character HQ (chaplain or master,obviously the chaplain is the far better option) in a assault squad to be a far better option and packs a better punch and they also have jump packs so they can get in combat pretty quickly.
    A assault squad maxed out with 10 men including a vet serg with a powerfist,and then whack in your chappie = devastation and a great unit.
    Cheers,
    Tycho

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only take a command squad to infiltrate my chaplain, but most of the time I put him with my assault squad.

However the models are definately cool, I use them as various veteran sargeants.
    I can read now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take an honor gaurd, becuase an honor gaurd, unlike a command squad, can actually do stuff. All it pretty much is is an assault squad that has 1 more attack and power weapons. But i only take in big games becuase its around 500 points for mine.
    Back from a long adventure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theredkitty
    I take an honor gaurd, becuase an honor gaurd, unlike a command squad, can actually do stuff. All it pretty much is is an assault squad that has 1 more attack and power weapons. But i only take in big games becuase its around 500 points for mine.
    Yes but to have an powerful effective honour guard the points cost can be extremly expensive.And then once that has been dont they become a HUGE fire magnet.
    And yeah as you said they should only be taken in larger games due to their cost,that is true.
    But not often do they actually survive to make it into combat.Most of the time your opponent recognises how deadly and powerful they are and blasts them away as soon as they are set down on the table.
    Cheers,
    Tycho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast