How much rough is enough? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much rough is enough?

In an 1850 point game is one unit of counter assault Rough Riders enough?
    The rest of the army is a static gun line w/1 armoured fist squad,7 infantry squads,2 large vet squads w/ heavy weapons,2 Basilisks,2 Hellhoundsand 1 Russ.Two command squads are built to defend the basilisks w/plasma and surveyor.They also have LD 10 for the command bubbles.
    Can 1 rough rider squad w/lances act as enough defense for the army or should I shift the command squad focus to counter assault?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I think that it could be enough, however, I'm a big fan of redundancy. I personally would have two squads of them since you have paid the doctrine point to take them in the first place, so you might as well get some use out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I think that one unit is alright. I don't think that you should make a command squad counter/assault.
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hourglass,would the extra roughrider squad be worth having to drop the hellhound,though?
    I like having a few tanks on the table to split fire.I was considering kitting the third command squad for defense w/maybe GLs and a power sword.
    The points would come from dropping a few hardened vets from their lascannon squads

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Rough Riders are one of my favourite IG units, period. Whenever I take them, I go all-out.

Meaning: Carapace Armour, Xeno Mounts, hunting lances, Vet. Sgt. w/ Honorifica, power weapon.

That's a nasty little unit there, and they can put some serious hurt on that pesky Terminator squad heading towards your lines, etc. With the hunting lances, they will butcher MEQ's, and due to their speed you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them the charge - an invaluable counterassault unit, IMO.

I'd recommend going with at least one unit, but, two of them with hunting lances galore can put even more hurt on - don't forget that. You simply have to ask yourself if you'll use, for example, a Hellhound to better effect than a counterassault unit. It's entirely up to you, so, I recommend proxy battling with one squad, then swapping out your Hellhound, etc. and proxy battling with two squads, and see which you like better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the people you play against on a regular basis, so I can't really tell you if a Hellhound or another RR squad would be better for you.

Where I play, the Hellhound would be better because surprisingly I am the ONLY SM player there, and SM isn't even my main army, it's just my back up "fun" army for when I get bored setting up 200+ plus models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

My opinion would be that the one squad is sufficient. If you're looking for other close combat punch, maybe a squad of Ogryns (possibly mounted in a Chimera?)? I consider Hellhounds to sorta fulfill the counter-assault role; Even though they can't fight in hand-to-hand, they're mobile and up close can be devastating with their weaponry. Also your opponent's anti-tank fire will likely concentrate more on your Lemans than the Hellhounds. Damn those Force Organization charts for not allowing us to take more excellent tanks and Rough Riders in our Fast Attack slots. :tongue:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the local armies are chaos Space Marines of one sort or the other,although every army except Orks and Dark Eldar were represented at the last house tournament.
    Hey,Lost Nemesis,where can I find the rules for Xeno Mounts?The local store has a pretty good back issue collection of White Dwarf.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeaboy
    Most of the local armies are chaos Space Marines of one sort or the other,although every army except Orks and Dark Eldar were represented at the last house tournament.
    Hey,Lost Nemesis,where can I find the rules for Xeno Mounts?The local store has a pretty good back issue collection of White Dwarf.
    As far as I know, it never was in a White Dwarf. The rules were given on the GW website at one point, so I wrote them into my own IG codex .. I haven't been able to find them lately, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

Xeno Mounts there you go, the rules for new mounts.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast