New Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Player

I was thinking about playing mariens or IG i dont kno yet i use to play but not since old rules and i played IG then. Just wondering if everyone thinks i should stay with IG i sold my models so i would have to rebuild my army or should i more on to space marines.

Only the Insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truely judge whats sane.

Armies
    Iron warriors
    Record 1-0-0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Funny you should ask that here. The army we tend to bag out the most is Space Marines simply because we see them as stuck up glory boys. :x

It depends upon what you like. The guard can do a few things although we generally rely on numbers to win assault. If you want a mobile army you should try grenadiers (not mechanised though, the chimeras are more there for fire support). If you want lots of powerful tanks we can do that, you can even take nothing but tanks in an Armoured Company. If you want numbers we can do that to.

Basically if you play with IG then most of your action is going to be during the shooting phase.

Oh, there's also the satifaction of being a little ordinary human and belting things like SMurf commanders and hive tyrants to death through sheer numbers.

(Sorry if you already knew all this, I have no clue what your old rules were like so I am assuming they were radically different)

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Considering the kid is 15 years old, and presumably wasn't Lord Solar of the kindergarten school yard, I'm going to assume that if he's played before it was probably under similar rules. As for my opinion on the matter: Why bother asking us? You ask for an opinion in an Imperial Guard forum, you'll probably get "Imperial Guard" as a response. But more importantly, we don't know you, and we're not you. You should make up your own mind. Browse GW's site, they're got information on all the armies. Look at the model ranges. If you know others who play the game, see if you can either borrow some pieces or proxy and play a few games with each. But make up your own mind, its not fun if you choose an army because someone else on the other end of an internet connection told you to.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, personally, would love to play every army. Problem is, I can't.

The advantages of Guard and Space Marines is the customization. Guard gets doctrines, and Rines get whatever they get (I don't know). Guard are regular humans with huge guns, while Space Marines are little tanks in power armor.

If you don't have a lot of cash, get Space Marines: there's less models to an army, as SM are more expensive. If you have some cash to blow, get Guard.

I would browse the respective Codexes at your gaming store, and then make a decision. Then, you buy the codex, go home, write up a list, get it reviewed by the relevant forum, and THEN you go buy models. That way you don't waste money like I did (on Grey Knights).

Also, fix up your spelling. That's all.

*Imperial Dispatch ended*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i was really looking at BA SM but man i love to shoot and i love haveing 40 lascannons on the table at a time if i did do guard i would go no tanks (sry i dont like them) and just smash eveything with lascannons. but i dont kno how tanks work when i played we used my buddys rule book from when he was in HS he is 25 now so its kinnda old and well when we played tanks sucked.... i was just looking for some words of wisdom if i wann shoot should i play guard or is a SM heavy weapons army ineffective
    Only the Insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truely judge whats sane.

Armies
    Iron warriors
    Record 1-0-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end, do not let us make the decision for you. It is your army, after all. At first, I would suggest Space Marines, just because they are eaiser to play. Gosh forbid that there will be another Space Marine player roaming around. We really do not need more Space Marine players. So in my final decision, I say Imperial Guard. Although that is my choice, not yours. Pick an army that you will be happy with; and the only way to do this is contrast and compare. Looking at the basic troop units is a good start. I hope you the best of luck.

+ Reply to Thread