Only 3 HS choices.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Bobby_Wokkerfella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Only 3 HS choices....

What HS setups do you fellow guard players enjoy?
    I'm trying to decide to go with either a Standard Russ, Demolisher and Bassie or 2 Lemans and a Demolisher. I love the bassie model, but I'm concerned it will die very easy once its fired upon. The russ however can pour out liberal amounts of Firepower (It'll have 3 HB and a Heavy stubber ) and the Ordance is only 1 less str, and lets be honest, when was the last time you ever needed to shoot more than 72" in a standard 1-on-1? But I'm still torn. Any help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with one of each personally, that way you always have the option of having a barrage weapon. Because eventually the leman russes will die, while the hidden bassie can just sit back an shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advantages for the basilisk:
    cheaper
    indirect fire
    can be set up very far away from enemy and still fire (as in back of depolyment zone)

leman russ advantages:
    can still do damage without its battle cannon
    stronger armor

Demolisher advantages:
    plasma cannons rip anything up close
    Ap 2 cannon
    stronger side armor allows you to get in close with enemy without worrying about side shots so much

thats the basics, from there on its whatever you find more useful personally.

I generally find the demolisher to be a fire magnet. It is almost guarunteed to be a first priority of your opponents. Leman russ are impressive, but if you place them well you can get away with very little fire from anywhere but the front. Basilisk, just watch out for deep strikers.

generally a good idea if you are worried about deep strike is to place some units behind the model so that it can't have shots at its weak back armor.

other than that, I'd ask someone who plays an AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

after having lost many battles to my friend's iron warriors list that was decked out with defilers and a basilisk, i decided to go basilisk for my guard army.

The way the basilisk is meant to be played is that you put it behind cover so your enemy can never draw a bead on its weak armor (granted this doesnt ALWAYS work).

I take two basilisks and a heavy weapons platoon with nothing but lascannons (gotta love those Mordians and their affinity for them las cannons)
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I always take a Regular Russ, with HB sponsons and hull HB, Smoke as my first tank no matter what. It is so versatile, has range and a good value.

My next choice depends on the size of game. A large game on a 4' x 6', definatly a Bassie, as the indirect fire and range are excellent. If it is a small game on a 4'x4', I would take another Russ or a Demolisher with HHB and Sponson HB (for points savings).

My third choice for a Large game would be a Demolisher with Las/plas for all the AP2 I can muster. Sometimes, depending on the enemy ( Necrons for eg. ) I would take another Reg Russ.

In big games it is usually a Russ, Bassie, and Demo (or Russ), and in smaller games, Russ/Russ or Russ,Demo.

I have foung too that Hellhounds go good with Demolishers. The Demolishers draw all the fire, and Hellhounds flame away!!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -35 (x0)

I play with 3 russes with all with heavy bolters. Im cheap so i dont buy expensive stuff. I find that 3 russes are very effective because they have very good range and having three means if any die you always have more.

They never let me down.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Even if there isn't a huge amount of cover for the bassie, you could use your own tanks to screen it.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I'm always switching between:

Double bassie, rest infantry.
    Russ/Bass/Demo, lots of other armour
    Russ/Russ/Demo, lots of other armour
    All infantry.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

armoured company.... leman russ and variants as HQs and Troops, two Bassie's and a Demolisher as Heavy and sentinels/hellhounds/chimeras to fill out fast and elites depending..

but if i had to choose only 3 and only use one army list for regular guard codex... probably 1 demolisher and 2 bassies. i usually play on big tables. on smaller tables indireck fire from basilisk doesn't help as much.. but if i didn't take indirect fire.. that means two earthshaker cannons for 200 ponts!!! direct fire str 9 ap 3!? awsome. direct fire range of 12 feet. you can stay back out of range of most weapons for a turn or two on a 4 by 6 foot table without being out of line of sight. my basilisks have been the deciding factor far too many times to give up on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whatever u do, never take a bassie on a 4x4 because u hav to take indirect fire or ites going to get blown away, and then with indirect fire its got a minimum range of 36", as any assault troops are out of range after the first turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast