Need help starting from scratch - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help starting from scratch

G'day everyone,
    Firstly i am very new to warhammer i have only just started collecting my first space marine army, i am hoping to create an army that i can split up and used in different games
    i am aiming for a grand 2000 point army that could be broken down and used in lower point games also.

i would really appreciate any suggestions on where i should get started,
    any additional units i would require.

i already have the following
    1 x Commander (1)
    1 x command squad (5)
    1 x tactical squad (10)
    1 x veterans (5)
    1 x assault (5)
    1 x grey knights (5)

these are all still unassembled so i can still configure them any different way

again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

with thanks,
    angelsofacheron

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well first off WELCOME ive been playing warhammer 2 years off and on and i love it hope u do to now to the army.... first everyone needs to kno if ur going for just a normal marine army or blood angels, etc etc. im sure that would help our fellow brothers
    Only the Insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truely judge whats sane.

Armies
    Iron warriors
    Record 1-0-0

Senior Member DominionWeaponsGroup's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -66 (x0)

ok, in order of importance here a list of stuff you will want to buy
    10 tac marines(its important to have enough bolter marines to fill out squads)
    5 assault marines(you need to have a max squad of these, give one of them a powerfist and 2 otlhers plasma pistols)
    2-3 Lascannon Marines(these are the primary Anti-tank of SM)
    5 terminators(try and find a 2nd assault cannon, or order the crusader bit, because they rock)

Unfortunately neither veterans or command squads are really good, they end up being too expensive for what you get. The commander is fine as an HQ, but you should consider buying a chaplain, as they are the most effective HQ.

memnark is right, there are alot of ways to play marines and you should decide what you like about them and then play a chapter that emphasises that aspect. For example if you really like close combat play blood angels, but if you like shooting then pick some traits that help do that.

After you get the core of an army play a few games to decide what part you like the best and then buy stuf that complements it.

(btw, those GK guys are not going to be very useful unless you want to buy alot of them, they are basically a different faction that can be taken as allies)
    Take life seriously, its lethal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks memnark, for your reply,
    i was going to opt for a non codex chapter, that i could personalise colours and so forth, i know that i have to decide on traits, advantages and disadvantages, but truthfully i don't really know much about these either, my army preferably would probably be a shoot 1st mop up later in close combat, or aim to have a fierce close combat squad with squads covering from the rear. the hardest thing for me is that i haven't even seen a game first hand yet but hopefully i will be able to pick it up as i go.

angelsofacheron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DominionWeaponsGroup
    ok, in order of importance here a list of stuff you will want to buy
    10 tac marines(its important to have enough bolter marines to fill out squads)
    5 assault marines(you need to have a max squad of these, give one of them a powerfist and 2 otlhers plasma pistols)
    2-3 Lascannon Marines(these are the primary Anti-tank of SM)
    5 terminators(try and find a 2nd assault cannon, or order the crusader bit, because they rock)

Unfortunately neither veterans or command squads are really good, they end up being too expensive for what you get. The commander is fine as an HQ, but you should consider buying a chaplain, as they are the most effective HQ.

memnark is right, there are alot of ways to play marines and you should decide what you like about them and then play a chapter that emphasises that aspect. For example if you really like close combat play blood angels, but if you like shooting then pick some traits that help do that.

After you get the core of an army play a few games to decide what part you like the best and then buy stuf that complements it.

(btw, those GK guys are not going to be very useful unless you want to buy alot of them, they are basically a different faction that can be taken as allies)
    dear DominionWeaponsGroup, thanks for your reply, firstly should the units that you mentioned would they be required on top of what i listed another set of tact marines, assault marines.... which is cool if that is what you mean so the command squad, vets and grey knights would not really suit any army unless primarily made up of these units? i started buying before i even knew what i was doing, not that i do now lol. i know that eventually i will need transport, dreads, tanks and bikes, should i consider these as i go or should i concentrate on troops first? anyway
    your advice is greatly appreciated,

cheers
    angelsofacheron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to go with a 2000pt army, you will most likely be facing vehicles and other strong armour. My suggestion is to make use of 2 Devestator Squads, but not in the format when you buy the box. Use 4 Bolters and 4 Missile Launchers as 1 of your Dev. Squads (only takes up 200pts) Throw in 2 of those and you're only using 400pts. That gives you 1600 to still work with. Now it also depends on what kind of army you want- get in close, defeat the enemy at CC, or bombard the enemy from a distance with heavy weapons, or if you want kind of a mix between the two with assualt-type units and shooty ones as well. I woul also recommend as stated above to use a 10man assualt squad (Powerfistted Sergeant, and 2 plasma pistols) led by a chaplain(add a jump pack to him and you have one mean assualt squad).

For troops, i would suggest using 6-8man squads with heavy weapons thrown in-for instance have a squad with 6 Bolters and 2 plasma guns (you would have to take cleanse and purify as a trait in order to take two plasma guns) or 4 or 5 bolters and a lascannon. Mix up these squads to conform to what your army wants to do best. I'm not a big fan of transports, but if you have to, thenI would suggest using drop pods. Otherwise, you don't want a great tactical squad mounted in a rhino or razorback being destroyed on turn1 or 2. Might as well load them into a drop pod on go on the offensive.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you in your future battles!

Senior Member DominionWeaponsGroup's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -66 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by angelsofacheron
    dear DominionWeaponsGroup, thanks for your reply, firstly should the units that you mentioned would they be required on top of what i listed another set of tact marines, assault marines.... which is cool if that is what you mean so the command squad, vets and grey knights would not really suit any army unless primarily made up of these units? i started buying before i even knew what i was doing, not that i do now lol. i know that eventually i will need transport, dreads, tanks and bikes, should i consider these as i go or should i concentrate on troops first? anyway
    your advice is greatly appreciated,

cheers
    angelsofacheron
    Yes, i would get the tac marines and assault marines on top of what you allready have, but first you need to decide what kind of army you are going to play. you can either play shooty or assault oriented marine armies and what kind of army you play will determine what kind of models you buy after a few basic choices. if you tell me what kind of army you want to play I can help you decide what you will need.
    Take life seriously, its lethal.

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

My advice is this buy the codex and make a 2000 point army list. post it in the army list section. don't forget you can't post individual points costs.

once you have posted it there people will help you with effective units and give you a solid list to work toward. Then i suggest playing smaller battles until you reach 2000 points. While playing these smaller battles find which units work for you and which ones don't. just because an LST is great if it doesn't work for you get rid of it. Find units with which you have luck as well. i know that my LSTs tend to suck.....alot whenever i use them.

Anyways good luck I look forward to seeing your post in the armylists section
    Last edited by Librarian Augustine; October 24th, 2005 at 00:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

g'day DominionWeaponsGroupagain as i said i really apreciate your help,
    i was going to opt for a non codex chapter, that i could personalise colours and so forth, i know that i have to decide on traits, advantages and disadvantages, but truthfully i don't really know much about these either, my army preferably would probably be a shoot 1st mop up later in close combat, or aim to have a fierce close combat squad with squads covering from the rear. the hardest thing for me is that i haven't even seen a game first hand yet but hopefully i will be able to pick it up as i go. i might even take some other advice and try to create an army list myself and post it and see what comes of that because i really don't think people would like to think of someone free loading ideas.

but again thanx for your help..

+ Reply to Thread