Multiple Allies Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Allies Question

The Inquisition codexes list the ability to take Inducted Guard and Allied Space Marines, though not at the same time. The Daemonhunters and Witch hunters can also be used as allies. The following questions arise:

1. Can an Inquisition force take Inducted Guard/Allied SM AND allies from another Inquisition branch (e.g., DH with Inducted IG and allied Sisters of Battle)

2. If so, can Witch Hunters take Allied SM and allied Grey Knights, since the rule about not including both isn't in the Witch Hunters codex?

...because I would love to field Grey Knights with IG fire support and a Seraphim squad as backup.

"HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

1. Can an Inquisition force take Inducted Guard/Allied SM AND allies from another Inquisition branch (e.g., DH with Inducted IG and allied Sisters of Battle)
    Yes. As long as one of the =][= armies is the parent force, you can include inducted IG/SM and allied =][=. This is because the inducted IG/SM count as part of the parent list, NOT as an ally.

2. If so, can Witch Hunters take Allied SM and allied Grey Knights, since the rule about not including both isn't in the Witch Hunters codex?
    Yes, but not because the rule isn't in the WH codex (because you use the DH codex for DH units, so the rule IS in effect). This is for the same reason that an SM force can have GK as allies - the GK aren't part of the core force. You will likely find dissenting opinions to this one, tho, as it's a foggy area of GW's rules. Check with tourney hosts before trying to bring a list like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I interpret the rules as saying you can only include one allied army... but the Inducted anwer makes sense, I get it now. So Inducted units don't count as allies for the purposes of army selection?

I'd play it safe and not take two 'allied' units, but that's just me.

=][=
    A man's at odds to know his mind, for his mind is aught he has to know it with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x8)

I interpret the rules as saying you can only include one allied army... but the Inducted anwer makes sense, I get it now. So Inducted units don't count as allies for the purposes of army selection?
    Common mistake, and completely GW's fault. The entire problem comes from calling inducted IG "inducted" and inducted SM "allied". Rest assured that they're both inducted for purposes of also including an ally.

If you disagree, look at some of the images of army combinations in the WH and DH codecies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lines that bothered me were on pg. 21 in the DH codex and pg. 25 of the WH codex, in the gray boxes: "Neither Inducted Imperial Guard nor Allied Space Marines may be present in such a contingent..." I was not completely sure whether "contingent" referred to just the allies or the whole army; it seems obvious that Inducted IG/ASM can't be part of a group of DH allies in a third army.

Also, the WH codex reads, "Witch Hunters cannot ally with a force that uses any other type of ally, with the exception of separate detachments and units from other Ordos of the Inquisition." I believe this means the following:

- Multiple whole forces, with their own Force Organization Charts (such as in 2-player tournament teams), may have Witch Hunter allies in one force and other allies in the other force.
    - An army may include WH allies as well as DH (and eventually Alien Hunters, I assume) allies in the same force.

If this means that my Leman Russ/Grey Knight Teleport Attack/Seraphim combo works, so be it. I was hoping GW would have that clarified in an FAQ somewhere...it is hard to tell where the fluff ends and the rules start...:wacko:
    Last edited by Inquisitor Solexus; October 25th, 2005 at 04:08.
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x8)

The lines that bothered me were on pg. 21 in the DH codex and pg. 25 of the WH codex, in the gray boxes: "Neither Inducted Imperial Guard nor Allied Space Marines may be present in such a contingent..." I was not completely sure whether "contingent" referred to just the allies or the whole army; it seems obvious that Inducted IG/ASM can't be part of a group of DH allies in a third army.
    "Contingent" refers to the allied army. What this means is you cannot have a DH army with inducted guard, and an allied contingent of WH with inducted SM (or IG). The allied contingent can only bring in core units.

Also, the WH codex reads, "Witch Hunters cannot ally with a force that uses any other type of ally, with the exception of separate detachments and units from other Ordos of the Inquisition." I believe this means the following:
    It means that X army with Y ally (where Y is NOT inducted IG/SM but is an actual allied army) cannot ALSO have WH allies. This applies to DH as well.

+ Reply to Thread