Assault Squads without Jump Packs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Assault Squads without Jump Packs

I am wondering what people think on Jump-Pack-less Assault Marines.
    Obviously they aren't going to be as good as the ones with Jump Packs, and the points difference is only enough for another 4 marines or so, but I have been considering adding either a 10-man squad without Jump Packs or a 7-man squad with jump packs (and a tech-marine, in either case).

___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Seems kinda pointless. You can take the trait "take the fight to them" for the same effect.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

112 (x4)

Not with plasma pistols, and I have two traits already.
    ___

Senior Member DominionWeaponsGroup's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -66 (x0)

is one of your traits scion of mars? i'm not sure if you can take command squads with the techmarine but that might be worth it. besides that, a techmarine isnt very good without his harness, and you can have that and a jump pack. so if you gotta take a techmarine the answer would probably be yes, take the assault marines without JP
    Take life seriously, its lethal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

In general I'd say, unless you have a FA slot left, just take the trait. Though it is usefull if you're after the plasma pistols.
    In your case, with 2 traits already, you've got little choice. But still, is there anything else you'd want to do with that FA slot?

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

112 (x4)

I do not have Scion's of Mars. I am referring to a standard Elite choice Techmarine without a jump pack or servo-harness (although in anything larger than 1,000 points he will have the harness).
    I am not going to be using the FA slot for anything apart from this. Basically, my choice is between a full-size squad without jump packs which advances with the rest of the army, or a smaller squad with jump packs which is able to move faster but is given a higher target priority.
    ___

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then that really depends on what the rest of your army does.
    How much do they need a fast unit. If your main army's strenght is firepower, you could block your own guns by assaulting the enemy.
    If you dont really need them to be so fast is has 2 other advantages to take those guys without jumppacks.
    1)They get free fraggrenades.
    2)You set them up later on in the deployment part of the game, which may be usefull, because by that time most of your opponent's army is already on the tabletop.
    And another thing, if you just want a huge horde of marines that swarms over your opponent, you can use those fast attack slots to get even more basic marines.
    Chaos does not need explaining! guess what? Chaos cannot be explained!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaHat
    Chaosdude is a dutch, heretic surfer who hangs around the red light district picking up daemonettes..

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Drop Pod No jump Packs. Id like to see the rest of your army if you have a link? if not maybe you could make one.
    (ordinadary without a techmarine id say with jump packs, except that i dont know what your army is, owell)
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

112 (x4)

Basically, I just want a horde. The benefit of taking a footslogging Assault squad rather than another tactical squad is the BP/CCW lwith Frags loadout, and the option to take plasma pitsols (special weapon which allows an assault and doesn't lose an attack).
    What I have is a Librarian, 2 Five Man squads (one with a lascannon and one with a plasma cannon), a 10 man squad with 2 plasma guns and a VS with a plasma pistol, and a 10 man Trust Your Battle Brothers squad with 2 Meltas and a VS with Power Fist. This comes to just under 750 points, and the Assault Squad (either one) plus a Techmarine (accompanying the TYBB squad or the footslogging Assault Squad) would take it to 1,000 points.
    And Assault Marines (with or without Jump Packs) cannot take drop pods, as they are not able to take Rhinos or Razorbacks.
    ___

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

[QUOTE=Corianis]Basically, I just want a horde. The benefit of taking a footslogging Assault squad rather than another tactical squad is the BP/CCW lwith Frags loadout, and the option to take plasma pitsols (special weapon which allows an assault and doesn't lose an attack).
    What I have is a Librarian, 2 Five Man squads (one with a lascannon and one with a plasma cannon), a 10 man squad with 2 plasma guns and a VS with a plasma pistol, and a 10 man Trust Your Battle Brothers squad with 2 Meltas and a VS with Power Fist. This comes to just under 750 points, and the Assault Squad (either one) plus a Techmarine (accompanying the TYBB squad or the footslogging Assault Squad) would take it to 1,000 points.
    And Assault Marines (with or without Jump Packs) cannot take drop pods, as they are not able to take Rhinos or Razorbacks.[/QUOTE

wow that supprises me. You should be able to take them without the jump packs and in a pod. Although your logic is a bit odd, your correct. My bad. Id say scrap the fast attack and take some vertrans or command squad. Same effect accept you pick up ferious charge. Yes the plsama guns nice, but this army is far to slow to drop pod, or jump pack with. Also your techmarine would be very expensive, with a jumpack, and not be as good as a chaplian. But he does have pretty sweet abilities. This would also give a clear squad for your librarian to go with, while your techmarine might fit in better with the squad which has trust your battle brotherths, or maybe the plasma squad. Have you considered giving it to both squads? and perhaps getting a powerfist in the plsama gun squad? this would up their points a lot, but then they could shoot away and still be good in assault, with the techmarine it would be 8 plsama guns shots (if you where stationary and aborsed a charge) Also remember that you cant give trust your battle brothers to an IC, so the techmarine/lib would need to be in the front of the squad if you want them to fight.
    (unless thats somehow a command squad but i dont think you can give them 2 melta weapons)

Peace

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast