Librarium Online Forums banner

Few DH questions...

340 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mEGALOMANIAC 
#1 ·
So im unclear about a fee things, hoping some of you can help me out...

If i decide to inclue IG or SM allies in my DH army do i still need to fill the 1 HQ 2 troop requirement with DH troops or can i use IG or SM allies to fill those slots?

Is a psychic hood worth taking if half the army is non-GK?

What in general is important to win a game? I know you get VP's for killing the other guy, what else is standard VP condition in the different scenarios?

#2 ·
More questions!

Hit post accidently, got a few more questions!

What about the size of units? Im inclined to think 6 is optimum since it forces the other player to kill 4 of them to get any points, should minimize casualties from blast weapons and maximize cover for the most part.

What are the plus's to taking bigger squads?

What's better for getting through most armor assault cannons of lascannons?

#3 ·
First question,you need to use a daemonhunter HQ and a pair of daemonhunter troops to fill basic force organisation before you get to include your inducted/allied units. (Just remember that if daemonhunters are the parent army then grey knights and marines cant be used together.)

Other ways to get victory points differ by the mission, ones requiring you to capture table quarters might award you a set amount of points for having control of that section of the board at the end of the game. Some objectives offer voctory points. (capure/rescue people or items, hold a position, take a position, etc.)

#4 ·
If i decide to inclue IG or SM allies in my DH army do i still need to fill the 1 HQ 2 troop requirement with DH troops or can i use IG or SM allies to fill those slots?
You need to have 1 DH HQ and 2 DH Troops choices, no matter what your army list looks like. Inducted IG or SM do NOT count towards these mandatory choices. In simple terms, you could look at it as being unable to induct IG or SM until you already have the three mandatory DH slots filled.

Is a psychic hood worth taking if half the army is non-GK?
In my opinion, not in an all-around list. Most armies use few (if any) powers. If you see that you get hit with a lot of psychics after a while, just edit your list to include a hood.

What in general is important to win a game? I know you get VP's for killing the other guy, what else is standard VP condition in the different scenarios?
You mean what are the objectives? Usually you have to take & hold an objective, be it a single terrain piece or a table quarter. Some scenarios have more unusual objectives, such as getting a percentage of your army across the board unharmed, or assassinating the enemy's HQ unit. But generally, it's either based on kills or holding objectives. Read through the list in the back of the rulebook for more ideas.

What about the size of units? Im inclined to think 6 is optimum since it forces the other player to kill 4 of them to get any points, should minimize casualties from blast weapons and maximize cover for the most part.
That depends completely on what unit you're looking at. For GK in power armor, as an example, I always use units of 8-10 to counter their Fearless/outnumbered in combat rules. For tank-hunting IST in a transport, I go with the minimum size. There is no all-encompassing "this is how many work best" number.

What are the plus's to taking bigger squads?
Well, you cannot target models individually. This makes your sergeants and/or heavy weapons basically invisible, and makes the basic troopers in those squads act as ablative armor for those models. Larger squads require more models killed before taking moral checks. Larger squads have higher Unit Strength, and therefore will outnumbered in melee less often. Large squads intimidate your enemy.

What's better for getting through most armor assault cannons of lascannons?
Statistically speaking, an Assault Cannon will penetrate higher AV values of armor more often than a Lascannon, due mainly to it's rate of fire and the Rending rule. But that is balanced by it having half the range of the Lascannon. So it really depends on your preference and what you intend to do with the model carrying the weapon. For example, I have two Dreadnoughts in my collection, one with an Assault Cannon, DCCW, and Incinerator, and the other with a TL-Lascannon and Missile Launcher. The first one is great for scaring the enemy - it charges right into the fight and eats up infantry and vehicles alike, and is great at backing up my GK squads in melee. The second one is more of a sniper, picking off the enemy from outside of it's range. I like them both equally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.