Scouts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouts?

I was pondering adding Scouts to my force, but do you guys think it's worth it? I mean, they have good abilities and such, but would I be better served by other Marines?

Thanks

Member of the Anzac Clan!

Official FLUFF MASTER
    PM me for fluff help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on what you're looking for. An assault squad will normally do better than ccw scouts, and bolter scouts are just cheaper marines that are a little worse. However sniper rifles can only be carried by scouts and are good at annoying your opponent. Don't expect them to kill a whole lot though, they are more or less there to be an annoyance and hopefully pin down some units.
    I can read now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand. Theres this button that says search. I searched, theres like 50 topics that are this same question. http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ghlight=Scouts (scouts)
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ghlight=Scouts (Scouts?)
    http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32778&highlight=Scouts (Scouts)
    That should be enough. Read and learn.
    Back from a long adventure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i generally use my scouts to pin down really annoying units. the dont knock much down with their pathatic skills but they can slow down bad guys.
    A Murder Is Only An Extraverted Suicide.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my army, I use the Whirlwind funneling tactic and my scouts with sniper rifles are key to this tactic. In order to fire off enough Castellian missiles before the enemy gets too close, I use two scout squads with sniper rifles to try to pin down fast miving units that would get too close to my army too fast. If they get too close, then the risk of firing a mine field and have it scatter right into my own army is just too much. So I use the scouts to slow them down. I also keep a scout with a heavy bolter with the scouts to provide a little extra firepower just in case it is needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by theredkitty
    I don't understand. Theres this button that says search. I searched, theres like 50 topics that are this same question. http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ghlight=Scouts (scouts)
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ghlight=Scouts (Scouts?)
    http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32778&highlight=Scouts (Scouts)
    That should be enough. Read and learn.
    Indeed.
    Use the Search function before posting. :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierced53
    Indeed.
    Use the Search function before posting. :rolleyes:

Reading old threads can be helpful, but it's not really wrong to broach a topic that hasn't been discussed in awhile. This allows new members and others who hadn't had a chance to offer opinions or advice another chance to weigh-in on the topic. Some topics are so old that they don't even take into account the latest rules revisions--so it can be appropriate to ask an old question over again. So don't talk to the guy like he's stupid, OK?

To answer the question, Scouts are a nice addition because they use terrain well, and can often get in close before the battle even starts. Upgrading the Sgt can also make this unit difficult to ignore, especially if he has melta bombs and can threaten enemy vehicles with an assault as well as your opponent's troops. The psychological advantage you gain is definitely worth the points. They are cheap and expendable, but when properly equipped and deployed, cannot be ignored. They are a good distractor unit--which is, fluffwise, their job!

Just don't waste the points on sniper rifles. They will rarely pin anything; any unit with a toughness higher than 4 is also likely to have a really good armor save. I'd rather use a Krak missile or plasma gun to kill monsterous creatures. Ordnance barrages from Whirlwinds have a better chance to pin enemy units, if that's a tactic you want to employ.

4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah they are definately worth it.The infiltrate ability is realy nice and as Grotstompa said they can be a very nice distraction unit,especially when you upgrade the serg to have something like a powerfist.This way if they dont take any notice of them they will pay deerly for it.Go scouts all they way!!!
    Cheers,
    Tycho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing BA's (Tycho+myself!) yes they are great due to furious charge they are great hitting at ST5 INT5 with a possible first turn charge!
    I run two ten man squads with PF's at 1500pts and they always do well.
    I find they do well for the following purposes:
    1)holding up dangerous units untill your faster units can come help clean up ie speeders assault squads etc
    2)Holding up non combat shooty squads like devs etc saving your valuable stuff.
    I suppose If I wasn't playing BA's seen but not be seen along with 2xccw trait with marines with PF sgt and melta might be slightly more tempting just an idea If you don't like the whole 4+ thing?
    FLAME ON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO Scouts are the best unit the Space Marines have when it comes to versitility. They can be equipped with everything the tactical squads can and more. They can be specialized or they can be an "all around" unit. So depending on how you use them, they are extremely useful.
    BattleFleet Gothic:
    Valhallan 23rd Imperial Navy: ~2500 pts
    Blood Lord SM Fleet: ~1000 pts

Warhammer 40,000:
    Valhallan 23rd Imperialist Guard: ~6,000 pts
    BT SM: ~2000 pts
    DA SM: ~1000 pts
    BA SM: ~1500 pts
    Tau: ~250

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast