SM Vetren squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM Vetren squads

SM Vetren squads taken as a elite choice can be given termy hounors and cost more than a normal marine by why shoudn't they with what they can choose from for upgrades. Are they worth taking and how to arm them?

To do the bidding of the god of decay death and corruption is to be rid of all things that makes you weak only in return for the control of your soul!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They probably cost more because of all the options they have.

I've personally never used them and I haven't seen many lists that do include them. Most of the time a tactical or an assault squad can do the job just as well.
    I can read now!

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

they cost more because you choose one of the 3 veteran skills

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Yes the veteran skills are what the increase in price is. otherwise it is a regular squad with different options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

The element of veteran squads which raises their price to prohibitive levels isn't their mandatory skill. After all, it costs the same as the equivalent traits rule, and people still use them.
    What ratchets up the price are the CC weapon options and terminator honours. While their price fairly accurately reflects their usefulness they can easily lead to a squad which costs 260 points (without terminator honours) or a whopping 350 points with terminator honours. At these prices, most people would just prefer a large terminator squad.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

They are basically Tactical squads with a special skill.

Honestly, if you plan on taking them, have the following:

Veteran squad x10, furious charge, BP and CCW, Powerfist, meltagun, veteran sergeant w/ power fist, drop pod, 275 pts

However, you are better off taking 5 Termiantors with 2 assault cannons for the cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

It really depends on who you play it is funny to watch a veteran squad with all the power weapons rip apart chaos sms

But i agree termies are much more cost effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veterans can work well with the infiltrate ability too. not to mention you could give them all Storm Bolters

ANyway, I'd probably take the Termie's, for two reasons: overall better at the cost, 2 DA can't have vets normally....
    Qui est Mortis? Lol, the rep... neggatized for something... lol that nobody payed attention too... Lol Goodbye all, BTW This is permanent goodbye so save some bandwidth mods delete this account :D :evil: :D :evil: :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Darien
    Veterans can work well with the infiltrate ability too. not to mention you could give them all Storm Bolters

ANyway, I'd probably take the Termie's, for two reasons: overall better at the cost, 2 DA can't have vets normally....
    WHAT ALL WITH STORMBOLTERS *quickly flips through codex*, nope they can only have bolters or close combat weapons and one or two of the special/heavy weapons. Maybe you meant Terminators.

My thoughts are that Vets are better suited for mission roles, such as infiltrate next to the objective and secure it while waiting for the rest of your force to reach that point. I think they were mainly intended for Codex chapter and not chapters like Blood angels and such. But if you don't go crazy and buy every one Terminator Honorers they really aren't that expensive compared to Terminators.

Ive used Vets in a few games and they work pretty well with two power fist (one on sarge) and a plasma gun, infiltrated and cause the enemy a unexpected advancing marine squad. Pretty nice if you ask me.

~~~No1:shifty:
    The guilty laugh while the innocent suffer.............WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive had a argument with a friend over this topic waether the vetrens can access the armory if they have termie hounors and i dont know what to think of it, considering they should be able to since if you have termie hounors your allowed to acces the armory but it doesnt say for vetrens can if given hounors.
    To do the bidding of the god of decay death and corruption is to be rid of all things that makes you weak only in return for the control of your soul!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast