Roman themed marines? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roman themed marines?

I have been watching the hbo series rome lately and have been contemplating selling my ultras and coming up with a army in the stylings of the roman empire. i was thinking dark red with gold or bronze trim and they would have their own fluff such as in that they their veterans are equipped with large rectangular shields such as the one the romans had and other such aspects to them like they all have gladius short swords with every standard marines and other stuff kind of like that but i want see what you guys think of it before i consider going thru with it:yes:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

I know that someone actually did a Roman Legion themed marine squad, and it scored pretty damn high in a Golden Daemon comp a couple of years ago, but I can't find it anywhere online. I'm pretty sure they were called the Sons of Sparta, and had round shields, a couple had spears and they looked absolutely drool-worthy.
    I'm annoyed I can't find the pics of them, althought they are in a WD I have somwhere in my pile.....I ain't lookin any time soon though
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

consider round shields, or a mix, because if you ever bough a vehicle you know how many of those haches they give you, and i assume money is an issue, so those might save you a lot of extra bits that you'll need, dreadnought extra front pieces could make cool squad shields, but a dread only gives you 3, 2 if you put one on the dread. Also spacewolf/Bt spuers, will have lots of CC weapons, and decorations, chaos marines i belive had a head with the roman red mohak thing. And normal warhammer not 40k, has lots of roman looking models. Hope that helps, kool idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I remember the WD ones, they were Greek hopolites rather than roman based, hence the bronze look, but they were pretty damn spectacular

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can browse through someone's hardback catalogue and hobby reference there are a few like you are describing in there as well...

-UK

-I'm not surrounded, I'm merely in a target rich enviroment..-
    LO paint log
    Recent Stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

The Veteran models with their would definitely look good in the army
    And you even could use only those Vet models for all tactical squad, though that'd cost a lot.

Equipping every model with a shield will be hard.
    But you can also make the army look Roman by its accesories. Like a lot of Roman banners, using large squads, upgrading to a lot of Veteran Sergeants, using the skirted Vet Sarge models for them, giving those Vet Sarges a crest (you can use Dire Avengers for that), systematically numbering squads in Roman numbers. Just to give some examples.
    On you characters of course you can really go to great heights.
    Using a Command squad is also an idea.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it could be fantabulous though... all depends in the effort applied.

-UK

-I'm not surrounded, I'm merely in a target rich enviroment..-
    LO paint log
    Recent Stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya sounds great but if your doing roman themed they should have big square shields and if greek the round shields because thats what they used. Try using the shields from those Ig or somethign inforcer doods with the mech dog and beating sticks.
    To do the bidding of the god of decay death and corruption is to be rid of all things that makes you weak only in return for the control of your soul!

Senior Member blood_angelmarine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of power weapons make them lances:w00t: . I really like that idea though and I have a suggestion for some easy trim. Buy the chaos marine tactical squad. I know I sound like a heretic but the trim on their models would go great with a Roman themed army. I think its an awesome idea though and I hope you post up some pictures of some units when you get it started. Good luck

W-1 L-0 D-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like your idea here. I dont know how reasonable it would be to provide every unit with a shield, but you could go the route of the Space Wolves and BT and give every unit a close combat weapon of some sort. Best choice for the Marines would of course be a Chainsword, athought there are some classic broadsword type swords available. However, in terms of cost for modeling, the chainsword will be easier. I would also recommend taking True Grit as one of your veterancy options. Models carrying a full bolter in one hand and a CCW in the other just looks cool if it goes with your fluff (converting a pack of my grey hunters to look like that now). A squad of Assault termies with storm shields and power weapons or thunder hammers would look completely cool.

Try to figure out some way to model cloaks onto the Legionaries. They would look awesome, and authentic. The cloaks were a total necessity in the Roman Legions, and a part of a warriors uniform. Not sure how to suggest going about this short of green stuff.

As was mentioned, try to use the Dire Avengers crests on your sargeants helmets. All officers wore some form of crest on thier helmets, it marked them out for their troops.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast