Hellhound or Basalisk. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Hellhound or Basalisk.

Hellhound or Basalisk. Thats the question.

I already have 2 Russ' and plenty of anti-tank but as I can afford either...I thought you might be able to help. The tables we play on generaly are a bit cramped, but is ar12 survivable in the open?

Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Kinda depends on the rest of your list and what sort of adversary you're facing.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

oh man, thats a tough question...especially seeing as how the only vehicles in my IG force are:

2 basilisks
    2 hellhounds

I love them both so much...I'd say that since you already have two Russ's, go with the hellhound. They're just your perfect all-around infantry torcher. I find them to be just as effective against SM armies as they are against horde armies. Worst case scenario with the hellhound is that you force an entire space marine squad to take armor saves (you wound em on a 2+, and some of them are gonna fail). And against anything without a 3+ or better save, its just pure, flat-out, murder!
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Basilisks work best when you've got the terrain to hide them. Also, on a normal sized board it's minimum range of 36"(incase of indirect fire) is roughly half the board if you place it in the corners. Bassies are also nice for taking out those annoying eldar skimmers jumping in and out of LOS while you can't do anything about it and other jump shoot jump units like Tau suits... but because of scatter it ain't as reliable as it reputation makes it...

Hellhounds on the other hand are... nasty. A hellhound spells certain doom for most units with 4+ armour, and even people wearing 3+ armour will learn to fear it because of it's ability to cause so many wounds. The ability to ignore coversaves is great, especially combined with it's long range. Add a pintle mounted heavy stubber and you'll have a quite nasty machine here, just remember to always fire the inferno cannon first, then use it's heavy bolter and the stubber(if any) to mop up the rest.

In the end though, I'd have to say to go with both. They're excellent units and no guard general should be without them.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

I come from a land down under. Where women glow and men plunder.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The greatest advantage the Basilisk boasts is it's 120" range. Because very few games will be played at this size, the advantage is typically lost. Overall, I'd say the Basilisk is more worthy, but for average board sizes you can't go past the Hellhound.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Like previously said they are both excellent choices. For you on a smaller tighter board the Hellhound will probably be better, and the AV12 usually survives if you have Russes on the board to draw AT fire.

I would also get a Bassie, it simply rocks on bigger tables.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

The Hellhound is especially scary if you manage to fit two (or even three, for the truly dedicated!) into a list. One can be destroyed if it becomes isolated from the rest of the army, of if your opponent directs some anti-tank firepower towards it to prevent his troops from getting roasted. But a pair (or even a squadron) of Hellhounds is not only a substantial threat in terms of the sheer amount of wounds the Inferno Cannons can inflict, but even with just an armor value of 12 they'll have a hard time dealing with the entire group at once. I think a really fun Guard strategy to try out would be to use an armored column of three Russes and two to three Hellhounds and advance on your opponent along a flank. Challenge their heavy weaponry to try and deal with all that armor (with the Hellhounds protecting the Russes from close-up assaulters/infiltrators, as well as lending concealment or at least obscuring the side armor of the Russes. A big nasty armored wedge with battle and Inferno Cannons. I love the smell of promethium in the morning (or any time, really). Smells like.....victory.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    I think a really fun Guard strategy to try out would be to use an armored column of three Russes and two to three Hellhounds and advance on your opponent along a flank. Challenge their heavy weaponry to try and deal with all that armor (with the Hellhounds protecting the Russes from close-up assaulters/infiltrators, as well as lending concealment or at least obscuring the side armor of the Russes. A big nasty armored wedge with battle and Inferno Cannons.
    And a couple of Chimeras with Grenadiers to mop-straglers! LOL
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread