melta bombs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: melta bombs

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

melta bombs

I am trying to decide if I should equip my assault marines, and HQ with melta bombs. I've had some bad experiences with dreads tearing through my neacrons, not to mention annoying tanks and other stuff, all because I couldn't hurt em in CC. And I've done the math and 11 melta bombs will usually result in 3 penatrating hits that destroy armour 12 ws4 dreads. So thats hitting on a 4+, penatrating on a 4+ and destroying on a 4+. The problem is, I've heard alot of negative things about meltabombs, and I am begining to wonder if They are worth it. For the most part they would be counter assault weapons meant to save my ass from dreads, or pop a tank if the need and oprotunity arises. So, what do you think? Should I go with the meltabombs or not?

On a side note, how does one go about modeling melta bombs? I don't have any assault squad sprues, new or old, and I need a few even if I don't use em on my iron hands (need em for kroot). I have noticed flamer feul canisters look about the right size, but I don't have enough for 11 for the SM along with 3 or 4 for kroot later on.... any help you be great.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

Meltabombs only hit on that 4+ if the vehicle hasn't moved more than 6 (?) inches. Any smart commander can outmaneuver that with ease. In which case you would hit on 6+, and score maybe 2 hits. Usually it isn't worth taking. Especially on assult squads, since they are so much better at killing infantry.

Modelling isn't a problem though; you don't have to give a meltabomb to every member of the squad. Give one or two a meltabomb, and your opponent will get the picture. Just make sure you do pay the points for every model...
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As rogue angel said, you dont need to give every model in the squad a melta bomb, just some of them.

HQs: generally for single IC, you need to think about what he is going to do, he will probably be with a squad so does that squad have the ability to take out tanks? if so he doesnt need it, indeed throwing ICs at tanks, and particularly dreads, armed with melta bombs, is a waste and frought with problems.

For squads (assault squads, body guards and other squads), I would much rather rely on a vet sgt with a power fist.

Assault squad and body guards in particular are not really anti tank, they can be used in that way but this should be the exception as it tends to be inefficent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only person I know who uses a HQ with a jump pack + assault marines + melta bombs had a Chaplin HQ. The reason for the Chaplin was so he could re-roll the "to hit" dice" in CC. Otherwise I would advise against it too. It's points costly, there's only a seldom chance it will work and if it doesn't, then you're in pain.

I am a big fan of using a las cannon in a squad as my anti tank. I have two squads of 6 to 7 marines with a las cannon to make it hard for tanks to come into the open. The two squads try to cover the biggest fire angles. I also use assault marines as a counter charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

If your assaulting dreads with them... they dread has a WS you need to immobalize it first any ways. Any thing with AV and WS needs to be Immobile to use melt-bombs on

-Jenn

Current Armys
    Tomb Kings, Marines, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Hmmm, I didn't know they needed to be immoble first.... well then, I guess i probably won't be gettin them. But yes, I was reffering to a chapplain with assault squad for the reroll to hit. Thanks for your help.

-Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Here is the rule I missed something...

If a walker is still mobile, you need a 6 to hit. If it's stunned or immobile you compair weapon skills to hit.

Just looked it up. easy enough ^_^

-Jenn

Current Armys
    Tomb Kings, Marines, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

231 (x4)

Hmmm, with rerolls cause of the chaplain, thats still pretty good. seeing as i think all dreads are av 12. thats still a pretty good chance of destroying the dread....I guess i'll just keep em optional...

-Inquisitor Hoth

+ Reply to Thread