need help against Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need help against Tau

this is my frinds list

HQ: 154 pts
    Shas'o
    +missile
    +burst cannon
    +multi-tracker

Ethereal

Elite: 526 pts
    6 xv15
    +shas'vre
    +target lock
    +markerlight

6 xv15
    +shas'vre

2 xv8
    +plasmarifle
    +fusion blaster
    +multi-tracker

Troops: 460 pts
    10 FW
    +devilfish

10 Fw
    +devilfish

10 Fw

Heavy: 355 pts

Hammerhead
    +Railgun
    +multi-tracker
    +decoy launcher
    +2 burst cannon

2 XV88
    +shield generator

Total: 1495 pts

51 models
    66 wounds
    3 vehicles

HQ (56pts)

senior officer
    + las pistol
    + power weapon
    2 guardsmen with laspistol and CC weapon
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar

anti-tank support squad (95pts)
    3 missile launcher

fire support squad (80pts)
    3 heavy bolters

3 heavy bolters

3 heavy bolter

troops

infantry platoon

command section (54pts)
    junior officer
    + bolt pistol
    + power weapon
    2 guardsmen cc weapons
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar

1 squad with lasguns (81pts)
    + heavy bolter
    + flamer

1 squad with lasguns (75pts)
    + heavy bolter

1 squad with lasguns (83pts)
    + autocannon
    + grenade launcher

1 squad with lasguns (95pts)
    + lascannon
    + plasma gun

infantry platoon

command section (54pts)
    junior officer
    + bolt pistol
    + power weapon
    2 guardsmen cc weapons
    2 gaurdsmen with mortar

+ heavy bolter
    + grenade launcher

+ heavy bolter
    + grenade launcher

1 squad with lasguns (81pts)
    + autocannon
    + flamer

1 squad with lasguns (85pts)
    + lascannon

heavy support

leman russ (168pts)
    + smoke launchers
    hull-mounted lascannon
    2 sponsons heavy bolter

leman russ (168pts)
    + smoke launchers
    hull-mounted lascannon
    2 sponsons heavy bolter

1500 pts
    what do you think

Last edited by [*NoCo*]; November 16th, 2005 at 14:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Your list looks ok but I have some changes you should consider

1st) Your commanders all have power fists...Your spending 60 pts for a rather ****ty weapon when put in the hands of the Guard. I'd switch them out for a power sword your main leader and then give your others Bolt Pistol and CCW.

2nd) You have no special weapons in your infantry squads. The heavy weapos will limit your mobility severly but do give you an extra kick against armor. Maybe you should swap the lascannons for more autocannons and then you could afford some plasma guns or grenade launchers. You could swap all the MLs in your support squads into lascannons and then put the MLs in your infantry squads.

3rd) Since you have no Vox casters in your army I would demote your Heroic Senior Officer to just a Senior Officer. I only ever take the HSO if It's being used for it's leadership.

Other then that I like your list. You may want to protect your tanks because they will be torn to ribbons by all the railguns in your enemies army. try focusing your heavy bolter squads on the broadsides and the MLs on the hammerhead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am thinking about using the vox but i don't really now how to use it.
    Gandhi i have change the list so plz read again.
    Last edited by [*NoCo*]; November 11th, 2005 at 12:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

OK...It's been a day or 2 since I looked at your list. I see you've added in the power weapons and special weapons, that's good. Seeing as how Guard have some of the cheapest Power Weapons you should take advantage of it.

You may want to reconsider the flamers in your squads however...If this list is meant to be Anti-Tau you'll want as long a range as possible. Their guns will eat through your men with ease...Hell I've seen Tau take down entire squads of SMs. Maybe switch the flamers to Grenade Launchers since it's gota better range and you can move AND shoot. It's also got the blast template for frags when your enemy is tightly packed.

But, you may have some tactics in mind that I am missing. Please fill me in on what you'd like to accomlish with this list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best friend plays Tau, and I've found the best way to take him on is to out-range him...

I use missile launchers to hit him from distance and scare his armor into hiding, autocannons to maximize armor penetration vs. rate of fire (lascannons are overkill against his troops, heavy bolters might even be better, but they sacarafice range) and I use plasma guns or grenade launchers as special weapons depending on what i have the squad doing.

I would use sentinels or rough riders to lure out or run down (respectively) his crisis suits... maybe use a sniper squad to pin down his troops and keep them from getting close enough to fire on your own squads... i've noticed that by the time my lasguns had range to fire on him, there weren't many guardsmen left to fire...

Mortars, although weak and all but ineffective, are a decent distraction for his crisis suits... nothing annoys a hit-and-run player more than you being able to hit him back after he's run behind cover. he'll try to go after the mortars, and you can use that to set up a trap.

The trick is to whittle him down with your longer-range weapons while your snipers/mortars pin his troops in place, and your fast attack takes out his suits. an infiltrating squad of stormtroopers with meltaguns might also be helpful against the suits.

if you have a tank, acclimate yourself to it not surviving, and use it to lure out his heavy armor while your missile launchers and autocannons tear it apart. no one will expect you to use a tank as bait... use that to your advantage.

lastly, if he's getting close enough to open fire with his fire warriors, charge him... they're the only army worse than ours in h2h... use it to your advantage should push come to shove.

Hardened fighters doctrine coupled with a hardened veterans squad armed for CC, or a squad of ogryns, stuck in a chimera would really crimp his style... especially if you saved it for later in the game...

That's my rambling theory of handling the Tau :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsyndrome
    Hardened fighters doctrine coupled with a hardened veterans squad armed for CC, or a squad of ogryns, stuck in a chimera would really crimp his style... especially if you saved it for later in the game... :-)
    Hardened Fighters is not needed against Tau, as you already have better WS, and the Chimera would never make it into Tau lines.

Anyway, I have played Tau a lot, and I would recommend a couple of things.

You have a bunch of HB's, lots which is good vs Tau, but I would change a couple in your troops squads, and make them Lascannons. Lascannons are great against Broadsides, Hammerheads and Devilfish. You only have a couple, and I suggest double the amount.

A deepstriking Stormie/Vet or Command squad with Plasmas is usually a nice way to take out the Broadsides.

Bassilisks are a nice way to stay away from Railguns, but if you don't have one, I would almost not take tanks, and play all Infantry, or keep your tanks hidden for a round or two, and wait for to take out the Broadsides and Hammerhead. If you can do that, he's hooped.

Don't worry Guard can outshoot Tau, anyday!:yes:

My two cents.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for all the advises but i can se that only a few of you have read the Tau list.

Ghandi i can se where you are going and i understand what you are saying about the flamers, And i will change that when i get the time but not right now.

All of you thankz for the help plz give me more,
    And i could also need your help on my need help against dark eldar Thread (i don't like the elder but i really don't like dark eldar) they are nasty.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

The only player I've played plays Tau. He runs 2 broadsides as well. I run 3 squads of 5 veteran drop troops. Two of the 5-man squads have 3 plasma guns and one 5-man squad has 3 meltaguns. The 3 meltagun squad costs like.. 70 or 75 points I think. That is ridiculously cheap for what they can kill. I drop them near the two broadsides and instakill them without breaking a sweat. I'm sure you could also drop near a hammerhead and take it out, but I haven't tried that yet. Oh yes, and heavy bolters make friggin' swiss cheese out of firewarriors. No worries there. It outranges the firewarriors and should wipe them out before they can even get in range. Lots of heavy bolters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play tau. The best thing aginst me are heavy bolters, and demolisher cannons. NEVER TAKE sentinals, (unless u give them armored crew, even then...) and basilisk. The basilisk is crap. 36 in blind spot? devil fish will get in that in 2 or les turns. other than that, just hoarde him with inantry, ifur cheap consips. go light on points, and just swam him. Tau cant deal with lots of troops charging down on them. even tho there guns are good, u may out number him 3-4units to 1, this can easiy overcome him as with bs3 he will only hit half the time, and then he may kill 2 units to one, but them u still have 1-2 unit on his *** to assualt and killen (tau are crap in cc). Another thing smokelaunchers smoke launches smoke luanchers take as many as you can. they will save you from the rail guns wrath

Jake

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

don't take a senior officer. instead take a junior officer with honourifica imperialis. that is 5 points cheaper than a heroic senior officer. Besides not having a vox doesn't mean you can't use its leadership within 12 inches ans what with iron disicipline it should be good enough

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast