Librarium Online Forums banner

First Time Daemon Hunter Army P.S. I am a Noob

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  nichodemus10 
#1 ·
I am going to start a Daemon Hunter army My buy list is going to be something like this-

1x Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord

1x Grey Knight Terminators Box

1x Cadian Kasrkin Box

2x Grey Knights

1x Dreadnought

Is this a good idea, or is it too much at one time. I am looking to go for a Inquisitor Army. Should I buy all of this at once, or is it too much too handle? I need feedback badly.

#2 ·
I personally would skip the Inquisitor and one box of Grey Knights for now and pick up some GK and Kasrkin special weapons blisters (GK with Psycannon, Kasrkin with plasma guns and meltaguns). That brings it to about 730 points worth of models, plus some for wargear, which is well beyond the 400/500-point minimum. Three reasons:

1. The Inquisitor Lord MUST take a retinue. This means you'll have to find (and likely convert) models for all of the weapons you want the retinue to take. Browse through the forums and the Games Workshop site until you find a set of Inquisitor and Henchmen you like, then build towards that one. in the meantime, buy your first 500-750 points and get those painted first.

2. The Grey Knight boxes come with Incinerators which, while powerful, are really only reliable when in a squad mounted in a Grey Knight Land Raider. Skip the second box for now and pick up a couple of GKs with the more versatile and reliable Psycannon.

3. Kasrkin boxes are about the most expensive box I bought (except for a Land Raider), but they come with mixed special weapons. Either get two of these (lots of grenade launchers will give just about any non-power-armored foe headaches) or pick up some special weapons so that you can make squads designed to hunt heavy armor.

I hope that helps, DH are a fun army and thankfully, even if you change your mind to another imperial army later, you can still use your DH models with the Allies rules!

#3 ·
Ok so my buy list now looks like this:

1x Box of Grey Knight Terminators

1x Box of Grey Knights

1x Box of Cadian Kasrkin

1x Cadian Special Weapons

2x Grey Knight Blister Pack with Psycannon

Please continue to give recommendations.

#4 ·
My last note is to get another blister pack of Kasrkin special weapons. Since they usually come with one meltagun and one plasma gun, you'll need two to make a focused squad. This is some kind of ploy by GW to get you to buy more models, I'm sure, but you'll probably end up wanting 2 plasmas and 2 meltas at some point anyway.

#5 ·
My own suggestion is to NOT buy GK Terminators yet. They're extremely expensive (both in money and points), and I really think that using them in games smaller than 1000 or 1500pts is a bad idea.

What you really should buy is 1 HQ and two Troops. Since a unit of GK Terminators as an HQ is out of the scope of games you'll be playing for now, I'd suggest either an Inquisitor Lord (with a shooty retinue) or a GK Hero (without Bodyguard). Retinues are fairly inexpensive to buy or convert, and can be swapped around to fit a variety of situations, so an Inquisitor Lord unit isn't at all a difficult thing to procure.

I'd go for:

1 box of GK in Power Armor
1-2 blisters of GK in Power Armor (No special weapons, just the infantry)
0-1 blisters of GK with psycannon (Don't stock up until you learn to like this gun)
1 box Cadian Kasrkin
2 blisters of Kasrkin assault weapons (As Solexus said, you'll want them)

That'll net you two solid Troops choices right there, and give you room to grow. For HQ, you have a choice of:

1 Inquisitor Lord
3-12 Henchman (depends on what type of unit you want this to be, shooty or assault)

or

1 GK Hero

As you can see, the Hero is cheaper (both $-wise and points-wise), but the Lord will give you more flexibility down the road.

From this, you'll be able to play games of around 500pts, give or take. And it's a very solid core from which to expand.

#6 ·
I would like to add/comment about what Megalo said above;

~ I think the GK hero is better to buy later on because he is needed for GK LR(C)s and GK dreads, which is about the only armor DHs can have besides ISTs and Rhinos. But you might not always use (or buy) those for quite some time (if ever).

#8 · (Edited)
I would like to add/comment about what Megalo said above;

~ I think the GK hero is better to buy later on because he is needed for GK LR(C)s and GK dreads, which is about the only armor DHs can have besides ISTs and Rhinos. But you might not always use (or buy) those for quite some time (if ever).
The reason I suggest buying a BC here is because of cost. If you're building a small (500, 750) army, then you can't really afford a fully-kitted out Lord & retinue (which could run you 200+ pts). Likewise, you can't afford a Hero + retinue. But if you have PAGK squads, you have a perfect place to just stick the relatively inexpensive BC until you expand to a large enough size to really play with HQ choices.

Hmm, just out of vague interest, how would you start out a pure Grey Knights force ?
1 GK Hero
2 PAGK boxes (2 justicars, 2 incinerators, 6 PAGK)
2 PAGK with Psycannon blisters (1 per pack)
4 PAGK blisters (8 PAGK in there)

That'll net you two PAGK squads at 10 models each, with two special weapons in each one, and an HQ model. If you use the Hero as a BC (which I strongly suggest) then you have just under 700pts right here. Add a Dreadnought and another near-full PAGK squad and you have 1000pts.

#9 ·
Ok so this is now what my buy list looks like:

1x Box of GK in power armor

2x Blister of GK in Power Armor- Question, do you mean the seargeant, because that is the only Grey Knight blister I see that does not have a psycannon or incinerator.

1x Blister of GK with Psycannon

1x Box of Cadian Kasrkin

2x Blisters of Cadian Kasrkin with Special Weapons

1x Inquisitorial Routine

1x Accolyte and Cherub

Also what does the Cherub do strategy wise in help the inquisitor, I also have the same question for the Accolyte, Heirophant, Mystic, Sage, and Servo Skulls. I will most likely be going for a shooty Inquisitor.

#10 ·
2x Blister of GK in Power Armor- Question, do you mean the seargeant, because that is the only Grey Knight blister I see that does not have a psycannon or incinerator.
Nope, I mean just normal GK in Power Armor. Like this. Each box comes with 1 Justicar (the sergeant for the unit), so you have no need to buy more of those yet. But the box comes with only three standard GK, so you'll definitely want a few more.

Also what does the Cherub do strategy wise in help the inquisitor, I also have the same question for the Accolyte, Heirophant, Mystic, Sage, and Servo Skulls. I will most likely be going for a shooty Inquisitor.
There are six types of henchmen:

Acolytes: Can be given the Inquisitor's wounds, can be given wargear & weapons.
Mystics: One allows you to shoot at incoming summoned or deepstruck units. Two allows a nearby unit to do it instead.
Sages: One improves the Inquisitor's BS. two gives one reroll on a shooting test that can be used by anyone in the unit (handy when you have a Plasma Cannon that overheats - you can negate it!).
Familiars: Both cherubs and servo skulls count as Familiars, the difference is only appearance. They increase the Inquisitor's initiative, and 2+ allows the Inquisitor to buy more than one psychic power.
Heirophants: Make it hard for Daemons to charge the Inquisitor's unit, and improves the Inquisitor's Ld (to a max of 10, so this doesn't help Lords).
Warriors: Just what it sounds like. You can choose from: Powerfist, pistol/ccw, flamer, plasma gun, meltagun, grenade launcher, hellgun, plasma cannon, heavy bolter, or multi-melta. They also improve the Inquisitor's WS.

For a shooty Inquisitor Lord, I suggest this:
Lord (Psycannon, Auspex)
2 Servitors with Heavy Bolters
1 Servitor with Plasma Cannon
2-3 Sages
1-2 Mystics
0-3 Acolytes (I'd give them a bolter and nothing else)

#11 ·
This is what my final buy list looks like:

1x Inquisitor Lord

1x Inquisitorial Routine Blister

1x Accolyte and Cherub Blister

1x Imperial Servitor Blister

1x Box of Grey Knights

2x Grey Knight w/ Psycannon Blisters

1x Grey Knight in Power Armor Blister

1x Box of Cadian Kasrkin

2x Cadian Kasrkin Special Weapons Blister

Would it be a better idea to go with Brother-Captain Stern of the Grey Knights, instead of the Inquisitor. Or is it possible, because it says he can only be included in an army of 1500 points or more or is this wrong?

Also with this army what kind of point calue would be best?

#12 ·
Would it be a better idea to go with Brother-Captain Stern of the Grey Knights, instead of the Inquisitor. Or is it possible, because it says he can only be included in an army of 1500 points or more or is this wrong?
If you want a GK Hero as an HQ choice, buy Stern but use him as a generic Hero, not as a unique character. And no, it isn't wrong, you cannot use Stern under 1500.

Also with this army what kind of point calue would be best?
This is about 600pts, but that depends on what the retinue is composed of, weapon choices, etc.

#13 ·
Allright so this is my final buy list:

HQ:

Henchmen: 2x Accolyte 2x Sage 2x Mystic 3x Servo Skulls

1x IST

2x Blister of IST Special Weapons

1x Box of Grey Knights

2x Blisters Grey Knights in Power Armor

2x Blisters of Grey Knight with Psycannon

Possibilities:
1x Chimera

#14 ·
I just wanted to chime in on your final buy list because there is one think that I think you are doing that seems to be a mistake.

Your Inquisitor's retinue seems to be shootie (with 2 sages to increase BS and allow for rerolled misses) and mystics which are used for cheap fodder but also for their Auspex ability. I think the change I would make would be the Psycannon GreyKnights which cost twice as much (in both points and dollar value) to heavy bolter servitors and a plasma cannon servitors. The Heavy bolter is almost as effective, but cost less, and the plama cannon will probably be more effective and still save you about 15 points...and in close combat the Greyknights without NFWs are just sad...and with the shortened assualt range of the psycannon, you often will limit what you want your Grey Knights to shoot at...this is just a personal opinion but save the Psycannons for inquisitors, and terminators. That way you are not shorted two strength 6 attacks, and limiting taking away some of the CC punch of the Grey Knights.

#15 ·
Updating the list:

1x Inquisitor Lord

Henchmen: 1x Sage, 1x Mystic, 1x Servitor Plasma Cannon, 2x Servitors Heavy Bolter

Troops:

1x Box of IST

2x IST Special Weapons Blister

1x Box of Grey Knights

2x Grey Knight in Power Armor Blister

2x Grey Knight with Psycannon Blister

I was also thinking about incorporating an accolyte. I am possibly considering the idea for dropping the Inquisitor and Henchmen, buying another box of GK and more GK blisters, and buying the GK Brother Captain Stern. Is this a good idea although I would like an Inquisitorial routine. Or possible another idea is dropping the IST and pulling in something different, like IG is this a good idea as well.

#16 ·
The only thing I'd add is a second Sage: two Sages gives the retinue a reroll. Plasma weapons can overheat, and when they do they have a chance to kill the carrier. That reroll from the Sages can be used to negate the Plasma Cannon's overheating, basically saving you a 50-ish point model from a needless death. Definitely worth the second Sage's cost.

#20 ·
Instead of STs box, get IG Cadian Box.
If I were to do it again I would have purchased the IG Cadian box for my STs. They look almost as cool, and you get twice as many. Great flexibility down the road.

Sterns a great model for a GM.

Yes get a second sage.

Now buy and starting kicking arse

#21 ·
I whole heartedly agree with buying cadians over Kasgrins. One box which costs less (I think) has twice as many guys, and if you buy two or three special weapon blisters you have two full squads with interchaganable vetran seargents, or you can have three squads of 8 (unfortunatly one of the has to mix and match weapons). But they look cool, are easier to paint than kasgrins, and are interchangable if you want to switch them to armored fists or a platoon (you just have to switch all of them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.