Multimelta or Heavy Bolter? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Multimelta or Heavy Bolter?

Sorry if this is a repetition on another topic, but I was not able to find anything similar, so here it comes:

I want to equip my Retributors with same weapon loadout for simplicity I guess and I am torn between the Heavy Bolter and Multimelta. I know that the first has a loooong range (for SOBs this is a welcomed change), whereas the Multimelta has the AP1 and awesome strength. I guess that the choice depends on the enemy that you face, but in general, which one would you prefer: range or power?

(To keep it all in contexts, I plan to sport Cannones, two squads of basic sisters, squad of Celestians and small group of Retributors as core army, plus the choice from: Seraphims, DaemonHunters' Inquisitor + two daemonhosts, and Sister Repentia squad for now. So no transport to get into range and only one basic SOBs squad will have two melta guns).

Thanks for any insight into the uses of Multimelta and Heavy Bolter :blush:

Last edited by SmokWawelski; December 2nd, 2005 at 00:57.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Well, you need to ask yourself - are you in need of heavy anti-infantry firepower? Or are you lacking in decent anti-vehicle firepower?

The Heavy Bolter and the Multimelta have two very different uses - one is anti-infantry, one is anti-vehicle.

If I were you, that's how I'd decide - I'd pick which one my army needs more, the anti-infantry shots or the ability to take out tanks (albeit close ranged tanks, potentially dangerous here).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Like lost said, do you want take out infantry or vehicles?

If it's infantry take heavy bolters, if it's vehicles skip the retributors all together and get a squad of dominions with meltaguns in a multi melta immolator.
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Thus far, I have had the best success with the Heavy Bolter.

However----

Once, in a scenario where I was defending, and the enemy had to come to me, I took Multi Meltas becuase my opponent was a Space Marine player. I was glad I did.
    Since he had to seize the ground I was standing on he had to get his troops, including his dreadnoughts, close.

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say if you want Retributors, take the heavy bolters.

If you really need the melta ability, dont bother with retributors since they will have problems getting into 12". Sure they can be transported, but then it would be better with regular meltaguns so you can shoot at disembark = dominions or celestians.

And if you need the long range S8 AP1, you have a superior option in the Exorcist.
    "And that, my liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really prefer the HB reti's.
    powerful enough to take out light tanks and enough shots to do so. they will also annihilate a squad of troops at a fling and have the range to not need to relocate during the game.
    multi-meltas are short ranged, unless you have them sitting right on the front line, tho i wouldn't expect them to live long there. If however, as Montford said, the enemy HAS to come at you, they aren't gonna like running into them.
    I thought you said they wouldn't charge us!
    What I said was: I didn't think they would charge us and win. And I still believe that.
    Then if they can't win, what are they doing charging us?
    It's possible, I suppose, their commander disagrees with my assessment...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Well, I actually decided looking at my army list and your posts that HB will be better for me so this is what I am getting. Range is what I lack, and if need be I can take two Seraphim squads with meltas for armor hunting. The Exorcist will be next on the "to get" list

Thanks for the input!!!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Yeah, I can see the Heavy Bolters being far more effective unless they enemy has to come to you in a lot of vehicles. Even then, its a close race. HB all the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I know you want all of one or the other, but let me tell you a story; one day, I was playing against tyranids, I had two HB and two MM, I wreaked havoc, die genestealers!
    Oh look, a carnifex, eat multi-melta!

This works wonders against tyranids, heavy bolters kill the horde, and then the multi-meltas kill the big ones (with some help frome the heavy bolters) this way, when all targets for Heavy bolters are dead/ out of range/ you can't see them/ their is a bigger threat, you can use the multi-meltas to deal w/ thougher targets, and the heavy bolters to deal w/ lighter ones, a good combo.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

um, ya it all depends on the enemy. perosnally, i am going to equip my squad with 4 heavy bolters because my other 2 heavy supports are exorcists

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast