How to beat Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to beat Eldar

Pretty simple tell me you best Eldar beating tactics. Ive got a game coming up in a few weeks and I know I will face one or two Eldar armies.

My main problem is "I don't know thine enemy", I'm alway confused as what does what.

If a Eldar veteran can give me a few pointers that would be great.

Oh and a side note I play Ultramarines and it will be 1500 pts to 2000 pts games, hope this helps some what

P.S. I am not asking you to give me a ULTIMATE list, just tactics and a few units that I should take.

Thank you

~~~No1:yes:

The guilty laugh while the innocent suffer.............WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Heavy bolters and assault cannons for guardians (LSTs), Missile launchers and Lascannons for wraithlords and vehicles (Tactical squads, devvies). Bikers and deep striking powerfist tactical squads are good for assaults. If you can outmaneuver the Eldar, then you're set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Heres really good advice coming from the point of a marine players: keep your troops away from starcannons.

Now from an eldar point of view, get into close combat with the gaurdians and shoot the apsect warriors to hell. Its really easy to tell whats what because any line trooper not called a storm gaurdian or defender gaurdian, or ranger, is an aspect warrior.

Watch out for the wraithlord, which is a good cross between a dreadnought and a space marine. Same advice goes for falcons, especiialy if your fighting eldar players who know what their doing...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

VS Eldar Tactics

1) Bring a librarian. I dont think I have ever seen an eldar army that doesnt use the guide ability. It can be devastating in combination with starcannons or dark reapers. Taking a Librarian will help counter this.

2)Falcons, properly equipped, are very difficult to deal with. As they are skimmers, high volume of fire is more important then high strength. Ive found that the best thing to deal with them is 4x missile devastator squads. They have the necessary range and can get the necessary ammount of hits.

3)Bikers are a good idea. The boost save makes getting to the eldar (and past the starcannons and dark reapers) much easier and with T5, the eldar require 6's to wound them in close combat. 2 flamer bike squads can deal with entire guardian squads in one turn. Be careful not to expose yourself however.

4)LST's are also a great idea. Obviously they chew through eldar pretty easilly (7 shots that do not allow armor saves, 4 of witch instakill) but they are also very effective at taking out vypers or falcons from behind.

5)More men the better. Eldar generally have a pretty easy time dealing with vehicles(imperial vehicles anyways, damn our lowsy upgrades). Go infantry heavy and leave the vehicles at home. Except speeders of course

6)Wraithlords can be a pain. Especially if fighting more then one. Be sure to bring enough high strength (8 or higher) low ap (3 or lower) to deal with them.

7)The different craftfworlds play very differently. If you happen to know whitch ones you will be facing, we could actually give you some reliable information.

Here is a link to the eldar Referance sheet. Check it out so you know the stats of the units and weapons youll be facing.

LINK:http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/r...-reference.pdf

Cheers Mate!
    Chaosbrynn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn
    1) Bring a librarian. I dont think I have ever seen an eldar army that doesnt use the guide ability. It can be devastating in combination with starcannons or dark reapers. Taking a Librarian will help counter this.
    The psychic hood is not as good as you might think. Annoying, but they've got to actually beat the number on the dice to annoy the farseer. Commanders (reliable ld) and chaplains (decisive combats) are a worthy investment.

But ultimate these are just tricks. That deals with a problem, it doesn't offer a solution. The trick when playing Eldar (or any army, really) is to have a mobile and flexible force. As soon as you tie your army to one place, you play to the Eldar's advantages of speed and manouevrability.

They can take those units on at a point of their choosing, which is exactly what you don't want. Drop pods, deep strike (assault cannons), land speeders and tanks all mean you can move a good deal of your force around the battlefield or apply force where you need it most.

Devastator squads are easy meat, while tanks are not as weak as you might think (the bright lance is little better than a lascannon, unless you take a land raider).

If you can pin the Eldar down to one area, you can beat them. Let them do that to you and you lose.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have mentioned LSTs are your best friend, target the high cost squads or squads that will rip yours apart, things like dark reapers, banshees are good targets because of the possible damage they can do and they get no save against a LST.

Heavy bolters will chew through eldar infantry, if you don't have a bunch of LSTs think about taking an 8 man dev squad with heavy bolters in addition to the missile launcher one.

Whirlwinds are also nice to have, park it behind some terrain and it will act like a giant heavy bolter.

If the player has D cannons, they'll be weapons platforms with only 2-3 guardians per weapon, stay away from them, they hurt a lot but have a short range.

Odds are the eldar will go at the same time if not before you, so a power fisted sargeant is a good idea like it always is.

Use cover! It will allow you to get a save against they're high ap weapons and lets you go first in assault, unless the banshees got the charge.
    I can read now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't know which craft world if they will be any. I do know that they will be using the Swooping Hawks special character and alot of fast infantry.

I was thinking of going infantry heavy and bringing one Predator and a devastator squad.

Great advice guys. I was thinking that this would help more people out than just me. Since, telling from the resent poll, people are either having trouble with the Eldar or just plain fear/hate them.

Once again thanks for the advice and heres to crushing all the fowl Xenos.

~~~No1:yes:
    The guilty laugh while the innocent suffer.............WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK having been an Eldar player for 20 years or so..

Stick with most of Bryns stuff

Librarians are invaluable, their psychic hood may bot stop everything but it can try, their abilities can be usefull too, Fear of darkness for example - most eldar stuff aint imune

LSTs - absolutely brilliant, deep strike and fire, you know even if the 80 point machine dies immediatley, if it was targeting aspect warriors, it probably paid for its self in one round.

Bikes- actually I would stay away from, anyone thinks they are gonna out manouver eldar with marines is in for a shock. Inv svaes are reasonable but if he peppers you with shuriken catapults, you are only gonna make so many saves

Heavy bolters are your friend, they can pretty much take on everything in an eldar army

WHIRLWINDS - take with a cherry on top. this will kill him by the bucket load, and I dont care how good his bright lances are, if they cant see you, they cant hit you.

Do not underestimate the humble missile launcher, frag missiles can have a devestating impact on eldar

If he is gonna take an avatar or a wraith lord, consider scout snipers

Do not over estimate the impact of flamers, he is probably gonna be the one charging, you are unlikely to get a shot at that range

As above, he is gonna be the one charging, dont take an assault based army, take a shooting one

Stay away from expensive models (Terminators, Land raiders, bikes, verteran squads, as a general rule these will be targeted and quickly destroyed

hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would never enter the battlefield against eldar without my chaplain let assault squad and the whirlwind. also would I use 8 men marine squads because a 5 men squad will get ripped apart pretty easily.

the problems I have against eldar is that anoying farseer with his 4+ inv. save with reroll.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast