Kill Teams - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kill Teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kill Teams

I'm sure you've all read the rule book entry on Kill Teams. Now for Guard I think the Kill Team situation is actually quite tricky. We are told that in the spirit of things we can use Elite choices like Storm Troopers (which is not too surprising as well, we would have a lot of difficulty if we couldn't).

But the thing is 150 points is still quite a lot, I mean we could field a unit of some size with this amount. Now of course we could easily waste points with lots of silly things but just how many possibilities exist for a IG Kill team. I mean will a fully kitted out Storm Trooper unit you'd just about use up all the points but you'd just be feilding a normal unit with very little individuality at all.

So what do you chaps thing? Do you ever field IG kill teams and what are they like?

Over to you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

i prefer using hardened veterans and snipers,
    not sure if cavalry is allowed, but i have been thinking about coming up with a rough rider kill-team, it'd have to be entirely rough riders though to be worthwhile to me. 9 xeno riders with carapace armor, 2 with meltaguns, 6 with lances and laspistols, and a vet sgt with power weapon and laspistol.

i should try this out sometime... but anyways, the few times so far that i have, i've been milling about with hardened veterans and snipers. usually going for camo gear, backstabbers, stummers, and wire cutters as specialized kits.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

calvalry ARE allowed. recently fought a kt tourney with some rough ridaz
    also the only h weapon you can take with out breaking any mute laws is the autocannon
    i would think alot different minis would go into a kt
    necromunda,enforcers etc
    Last edited by jancz; November 19th, 2005 at 17:49.
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I think of an IG kill team, I remember 'Platoon'. That is the ultimate kill team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniper rifles are a great idea! I'm sure the pinning would be really useful.

I think the whole idea of kill teams really could be a supplement in itself - with a bit of work you really could end up with quite an ace game. I think with IG you can actually have quite a few members of your kill team so it might be useful to get to split them up a bit. A sniper group, heavy weapons team (back-up), and the team itself could be quite cool. I was thinking a mission involving doing something and then making it back to the chimera would be quite cool. What I did think, in the style of starcraft or something, just allowing the brute team to actually just keep on producing more people to add a bit more of a time constraint.

Anyway I was thinking Storm Troopers with Plasmaguns and a veteran Sargeant and a Medic (wish you could just make a storm trooper medic really). Plus maybe (now that it's been mentioned) a sniper and spotter plus maybe a heavy weapons team. I think that seems a bit more guard like. I mean a whole operation rather than just one elite unit of superhumans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plasma Guns are pretty awesome, but I've always been leery of using a weapon that can kill the user when you have so few models on the table.

If you lose one of your 10 models or so, its hurts quite a bit.
    Emperor have mercy on those who stand against me, for I shall not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Only problem with sniper rifles is that you break a rule if you have more than one heavy weapon in a squad.

I use a hardened veteran squad for my kill team, kitted out with the following:

Carapace Armor doctrine
    2 plasma guns
    1 grenade launcher
    1 autocannon
    Veteran sargeant with bolt pistol, bionics, and power weapon
    everyone else has a lasgun

This gets you right under the points limit for your kill team, breaks no rules, and provides you with a great firebase. All you have to do is set up a firing line at one side of the board, and start fragging goon squads. Sure it takes the essence of the "stealthy" kill team...but then again, stealth and subtlety are not one of the strong sides of the Imperial Guard.

I've only used it a few times, but I've yet to lose with it.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

+ Reply to Thread