Space Marines For Beginners - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Hey this is something for newbies, but it’ll be by you guys/gals. What I plan to do is a breakdown of each choice for the SM army.

What I’ll do is post a choice (e.g. Chaplain) and what I would like you nice people to do is to disassemble it. When you reply if you put what you are replying to in Bold at top, it’ll make it easier for me to see what it is. Once I have enough for that choice I’ll move onto the next.

After I have a decent amount for each choice, I will post them all in one big post. This will make it easy to use (so you don’t have to go through all the posts to find the best), and should hopefully cut down of the “What’s the tactical squads best use?? or “What the best combo for …? etc. After the Vanilla marines, I’ll start going through the main chapters (BA, DA, SW, BT, Salamanders).

But being as this is going to be big, any help would be welcome. If you would like to help, PM with: Your Chapter, How long you’ve been playing and anything else you think will be useful. I will then chose five (hopefully) and these five will get to do certain choices, and will proofread the final copy before it’s posted. They will also be named and thanked in final copy, everyone else who posts will get a general thanks (e.g. ?Thanks to all those that posted?).

So I hope this will turnout all right, and here’s the first:

Commander
    Why use him? Is it a good choice?
    What’s his strengths/weaknesses?
    Where should/shouldn’t he be used?
    Best equipment
    3-5 of you best combos (make this clear, if it for vs. a certain race, say so)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commander

Various ways I use my Commander....usually, I go for the Force Commander, just due to the amount of points. 60 isn't that much.
    Then the first wargear I always give him is Iron Halo (4+ Invul) and Terminator Honours. Then, his weapons, which is usually a Power Sword and pistol.

With this combo, he gets 5 attacks, 6 if he's charging, and it makes people back away from him.

After that, depending on how big the battle is, I might either give him a retinue, or give him a Tactical Squad to command.

As for my extreme Command Squad? Well, with a whole load of gear, you can end up with a Commander and Retinue with 18 Power Fist attacks. 18. Scary.

But most of all, my commander leads from the front. If you put points into your commander, you need to get him into battle, or what was the point? If you wanna hide him away behind your whirlwind, fine....but just get a Commander, don't equip him much and let him do nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you wanting to cover all marine chapters?

For example, some don't have chaplains, they have priests, others have unique HQ choices, like venerable dreads, etc.

In this case, does commander cover things like Wolf Lord, Wolf Guard Battle Leader?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Wolf Raider this is for vanilla marines first, then once that's out and posted I'll edit it and add on the Main Chapters. So I'll want you lot to disassemble each chapter but AFTER the vanilla, if you please. I thought of doing this because there is so many people coming on here and asking how to use so and so.

So I figured if everyone helps makes this post they can look at this and hopefully stop making those sort of posts, allow for the posts to turn to more interlectual topics.

So want to help? See the post before yours, that's how I would like it to be set. Then I take everyones ideas for each choice and make them into one, after the whole codex has been gone through I'll post it in full.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay... my 2 credits.

Commander

I usually tend to go for the Force Commander option as it is packs the most punch for the points. High leadeship never hurts either. Now since this is for a Vanilla Marine force, here's how I normally equip and use my commander.

Ok. First things first. Vanilla Marines are a shooty army by nature, thus I keep this in mind when equiping my commander. I almost always equip my Commander with a Storm Bolter, and usually a power weapon and Terminator honors or Terminator armor. Yes I am aware that when tooled up for close combat, the FC can be a beat stick in Combat, but In a Vanilla force I tend to avoid this. Mainly for fluff reasons. A Force Commander is the Chapter Master or some other high ranking officer. There is no sense in him getting needlesly cut down in the middle of the battle. Anyway, when I deploy him it is near a large block of Tactical squads that make my main firebase.

Here's how I use him. Because of his high leadership, he can lend moral support to those squads who might need it. A Storm Bolter allows him to maneuver where he's needed without losing any of his longrange firepower. And here's the tricky part. Although not tooled up for close combat, this FC is non the less a mighty prescence in HtH. But avoid using him to stop the advance of Mobs of Boyz/ Hordes of Gaunts...etc. by his self. Instead use him to turn the tide of any battles you might think will be close. Many a time my Force Commander has inflicted enough casualties to make my enemies lose a fight they thought was ceratin victory.

I never let him wander too far from the main firebase, mainly so that he cannot be singled out and bathed in plasma fire or some other nonsense. A Force commander is a brilliant stratigest and mighty commander, resist the urge to use him as you would use a pawn in chess.
    --Keep Disco Evil--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Thanks guys this is what I'm looking for, so anyone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commander
    i use vanilla marines all the time (5 years)

i use my commander for counter assault and to get a command squad.
    i will give him a power weapon and a stormbolter for a mix.
    the command squad is them modified as the pts and game determine.
    i will have vet and mini characters all with storm bolters and power weapons.

expensive but very flexable, in a high point game the techmarine and medi will be given equipment.

sorry if i went off the point into command squad explainations

overall i recommend the 45pt commander as he is most balanced
    take him as back line troop commander

if you want assault get a caplain of librarian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Cheers, anyone else want to help? Please!?

Closed Thread