Of troops and tornadoes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of troops and tornadoes

Two questions:

1) I know there is a compulsory number of squads of troops you must take (is it two? dont have the codex in front of me, but whatever). Is there a MAX number of squads that you can't exceed? My chapter is pretty shooty, so I like as many basic marines as I can field, just wondering if there's an upper limit (other than points). Especially as I'm now working on 2 new scout squads: one with 9x sniper rifles and 1x hvy bolter, the other with 10 scouts with bp and ccw.

2) LSTs. You know them. You love them. So do I. The question here is one of deployment. Do you guys usually deploy them on the table, behind cover? Or deep-strike them? The LST is known and feared, these days, and my last 3 games, my opponents have thrown everything they have at my LSTs, even to the point of ignoring my dreadnaught and LRC. They still usually have been getting in one lethal volley, but usually go down in a hail of enemy fire. Just wondering if it would be better to pop in behind their lines with deep striking. At this point, they could still fire that turn, maybe make mincemeat of some squads. But after deep striking, they don't count as having moved over 6", right? Give me some tips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

There are 6 troop choice slots, so a max of 6 troop type squads, unless you have agreed with your opposition to play with two or maybe three lists.

As for LSTs, I have only just started using them, but already I've found that Deepstriking them can be very risky indeed. Which either off them flying of the edge or crashing into tanks.
    While it seems good on paper, you must remember that there are risks in deepstriking them. If it comes out fine however, it can be good for the army, but as Ive said, that risk is always there.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

1. you can only have a maximum of 10 guys to a squad, and FoC allows for only 6 troops per detachment. Two hq's, three elites, six troops, three fast attack, and three heavy support is the basic detachment while some armies have an altered version of this. Saim Hann eldar, for example, have six fast attack, three troops, and one heavy support as well as some units being placed within other catagories.

So in your situation you can only field 60 tac-marines/scouts per detachment used. (and unless you go no upgrades your not gonna see the use of a second detachment in your army before 3k minimal)

2. I've never been the biggest friend of landspeeders, but in my using them its a sqaudron of normal landspeeders with only a single multi-melta between the three unit squadron. Depending on the role of the land speeder should be one of three things that determine its deployement, the other two being the actual field and enemy forces. armour heavy forces on the opposite end of the board are good reason for deploying them in the enemies face for single strikes meant to blow heavy weapons and/or armour away.

If the field will force bad firing lines for the enemy than running the speeders up the board and harrassing enemy lines might be better. Normal landspeeders are, as far as I've seen, better choices for taking down armour while the LST is the latter choice for harrassing the enemy lines.

Deployeement always depends on how the unit's role is played, how good/bad the enemy will be able to hammer it, and how the field will aid/kill it...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) The maximum amount of troop-choices is 6 squads.

2) Can't those things move after being deep striked?Not too sure of that, but Daemons can move after being summoned.
    As far as I can remember every time I saw terminators deep strike on the field, they moved and fired. (just couldn't assault the same turn)
    Some tip that might be considered useful: Try to deep strike those things near some LoS-blocking piece of terrain. That way you can try to deny a lot of enemy units the chance to shoot them the next turn. Then hover from terrainpiece to terrainpiece and try to keep up this trick for as long as possible.
    Chaos does not need explaining! guess what? Chaos cannot be explained!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaHat
    Chaosdude is a dutch, heretic surfer who hangs around the red light district picking up daemonettes..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good. As it stands I believe I have enough marines painted up for 4 tactical squads plus the two scout squads.

Then a termie command squad with the librarian, assualt squad with my chappy, and one typical dev squad.

This is just the troops from my "max points" army, not necessarily what I use every week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you cant move terminators after deepstriking you can only shoot. and thats the same for the landspeeder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

More importantly, upon deepstriking, your speeders do not get the skimmers moving fast rule as they do not count as moving 6+ inches. It is very dangerous to deepstrike speeders as they then tend to be blown to pieces by strength 8 weapons that now only need a 2 to penetrate.

I tend to deploy mine on the field behind as much cover as possible. I occasionally lose a few if I do not get first turn, but its still less then I lose when deepstriking.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just keep them behind cover and then start moving them out, it's safer than deepstriking anyhow. If your opponent wants your speeders dead odds are he's going to destroy them regardless. All you can do is keep them moving and limiting what can fire at them.
    I can read now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it strange that skimmers don't count as "moving fast" after they just dropped out of orbit, the upper atmosphere, or wherever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

You and I both, but thems the rules.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast