To beat Tau... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To beat Tau...

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

To beat Tau...

Hey everyone. Here is a Tau list I'm gonna be going up against soon. I know exactly what he's using, because I've had my a** handed to me on a silver platter so many times that I know exactly what it consists of. I'm gonna be playing my Flesh Tearer Space Marines. Please, any and all advice would be great. Sample army lists with tactics are PRICELESS!!! Plz help soon! This game is rushing up on me and I wanna get him just once...:yes: The game will be played to 1850 pts.

132 - HQ – shas o
    Missile Pod
    Plasma Rifle
    Multi Tracker
    HW droon controller
    2 gun drones

175 - T – 9x fire warriors
    Devil-fish
    Decoy launchers

175 - T – 9x fire warriors
    Devil-fish
    Decoy launchers

90 - T – 9x fire warriors

90 - T – 9x fire warriors

105 - T – 15x kroot warriors

105 - T – 15x kroot warriors

150 – E – 5x XV15

130 – E – 2x XV8
    · Missile Pod
    · Plasma Rifle
    · Multi Tracker

130 – E – 2x XV8
    · Missile Pod
    · Plasma Rifle
    · Multi Tracker

340 – H – 2X hammer head
    Rail gun
    Multi tracker
    Burst cannons
    Decoy Launchers
    Target lock
    130 – H – Hammer Head
    Ion cannon
    Multi tracker
    Burst cannon
    Decoy launchers
    Target lock

96 – F - 8x Gun Drones

Thanks for your help, everyone!:yes:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, you'll need at least 2 assault marine squads, refer to Chaosbrynn's sig for equipment take an 8-man dev team with missle launchers, these will rip open vehichles or if the fool gets crowded up you can nail him with the frag, ooh use that on the Kroot. Also, take either scouts or Rhino squads Best to stick with scouts actually.

Okay first things first, if at all possible choose to deploy first, this is so you deploy your infiltrators before him. Place 2 10-man scout squads with a heavy bolter and auspex in each, they may be equipped with either bolt pistol and ccw or bolters your choice, deploy them in cover near the enemy. (I'm recommending Bolters) You may have more than 2 squads if you wish but at least two.

Now, the scouts will be a major distraction, and should do some damage to either the stealth suits or the Kroot with the Auspex. Move the Assault squads forward trying to stay in cover. As soon as possible launch into assault with a unit. A chaplain could be a big help too you in assault, but a masters leadership may keep your forces steadfast when you need them most.

Use the Dev squad to lay down suppresive fire on anything that moves.

A Predator Annihilator may be in good interest to you, deploy in cover then pop out and shoot an enemy tank.

The rest of your list is up to you, but Infiltrators are a powerful enemy. And it's important to combat your foes capabilities.
    Qui est Mortis? Lol, the rep... neggatized for something... lol that nobody payed attention too... Lol Goodbye all, BTW This is permanent goodbye so save some bandwidth mods delete this account :D :evil: :D :evil: :D

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Alright... Cool. I agree with 85% of this. The only thing is, I think you forgot that the Flesh Tearers are a Blood Angels successor chapter.

That means a Dev squad can be risky, especially with the Tearers. Also, as a Blood Angel *cough* I can't take more than 1 Scout Squad with anything special like a heavy bolter or Sniper Rifles or whatever.

Also, my Assault Squads can't be led by Chaplains. Any Chaplains have to go to the Death Company. I could take ONE Sanguinary High Priest for a very similar effect, but... That's the extent of that one.

I totally agree on making damn sure my Infiltrators go first if possible.

Great list of suggestions, really. Its not your fault that you don't know the Flesh Tearers. Not many people do. Thanks very much!:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dear girl, do what the Sons of Sanguine do best. Assault his fool arse.
    Make the heretic repent with bolt pistol and chainsword your instruments.

To do this efficiently I recommend alot of Assault Squads, perhaps tell me what you have first and then I can help you out. I'm a huge fan of assaulting armies, christ I play Ultramarines and tend to be heavy on Assault squads.
    Current Armies:
    Ultramarines (4000pts)
    Current form: 4-1-0
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Draw vs Orks (1000pts)
    Win vs Space Wolves (1000pts)

Dark Eldar (1000pts)
    Current form: 3-0-1
    Loss vs Imperial Guard (1000pts)
    Win vs Chaos, Slaanesh (1000pts)
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Win vs Space Wolves (1000pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I would definatly take a full assualt marine squad. These will eat his fire warriors. An annihilator might be a good idea Inflitraiting seems like an excellent idea.
    One Shot, One Kill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

As they said, get assault squads. But you don't really need a Chaplain to lead them in this case, you're up against Tau. But give them a Veteran Sergeant with power fist to deliver the death blow to battlesuits and such. It is great hunting them down... by the way, have you thought of using a Death company with jump packs?

On another note, vehicles are rather useless against Tau because of the Railgun and other high strength weapons. They have serious problems with taking down marines though, use this for your advantage and bring a lot of bodies. I really hate the Tau since they wreck my Eldar all the time, and my Orks will stand no chance. But my marines can take care of them! :w00t:
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Heh, scouts are excellently suited for a game in which you use infilrators. Do your skimmers count an vehicels? i heard you could only take 1 vehicle, besides transports. I dont know all your army specifics, but i do know, that once you get into CC, its over. The last game i played against tau was quike shocking, as my entire assault squad was annihilated turn 2, i roll 7 2s-1s but my chaplain was still alive, he asaulted in the next turn, and proceeded to singel handely kill 3 battle suits, 5 stealth suits, 1 HQ battle suit, 3 fire warriors, 1 little drone thing. Even with my horrible rolling, the tau just could not stop my assaults, for this reason, i recommend you take a giant death company, that is if you want to win. It would be imporant to know the mission you will play, if their are no infiltrators, its imperative that you leave them at home.

Otherwise, 2x scouts squads, 10 man, 1 powerfisted sgt, all bolt pistols and CCWs. Do not select the sgt out of these squads, to join the death company.
    4 squads of 5 space marines in total, make a1 vet sgt, no wargear, and 1 lascannon, this will form a strong anti tank force, and 9 strenth can really mess up 13 armour.

As i was staying about vehicels, skimmers are nice, because their S10 weapons are waisted in a sence, that its only 1 shot, and your glancing hits only, making them an untactive target. But the primary vehicel you may consider buying, is a whirlwind, since it can stay out of line of sight, and he probably wont be able to do much about it. This could really thing out some of those firewarriors, and kroot, allowing you to assault the battle suits faster. Id leave the devistors at home, but if you have enough points, go for it.

Of course a chaplain is a must, Jump pack, terminator honors, BP, maybe a grial, since youll be annihilating squads pretty easy in CC, and it would be nice to not suffer unnessary rounds of shooting. An even more evil plan, would be to field 2 chaplains, but your getting pretty cheesy (but none the less the extra 4-6 DC are extreamily nice to have, not to mention that this squad will would have at least 12 powerweapon attacks, hitting on 3s, and wounding almost anyting on 3s.
    (you probably need about 20 DC models for this, but its more then worth it.)

Another assault squad would be nice, just for so that you put up more targets.
    10 man, 2 PP, 1 SGT, powerfist. Dont select the sgt to hold a powerweapon in the DC, since this wastes your points. (oh do FTers have to do that? owell, just hope you dont have to lose a model from this squad)

That should easily bring you to 1850, if not add in more torandos.

Id leave the baal at home, since it needs LOS to hit the infantry, and 13 armour wont hold up for long againt 10S.

Good hunting, now lets see your army list before you play, and we do this properly, but id strongly suggest you go with the stuff listed above, it wont let you down
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

If you use scouts and your opponent is any good he will simply markerlight them and blow them away with a submunitions round.

Dare I say a Bike Squad? I have been known for my anti-bike propaganda in the past but against Tau they actualy work without a Chaplain. A 5 man squad with powerfist Sgt will handle any Tau unit in close combat, slap a pair of melta guns with them and you can blow Devilfish and assault the troops inside. Plus turboboost and T5 keep you safer than assault Marines.

LST's mow down Fire Warriors but arent the best against JSJing Crisis suits. A whirlwind can help against those out of LoS pansies.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

252 (x0)

Ok... Here's my list so far. Its 1884 points of Tau killing (I hope).

By the way, ignore any blatant cheese.:tongue:

HQ:

Death Company Chaplain, Jump Pack, Bolt Pistol, Terminator honors = 231

Death Company Chaplain, Jump Pack, Bolt Pistol, Terminator honors = 231

Troops:

8 Tactical Space Marines, 1 with Meltagun, 1 Vet Sarge with Powerfist = 160

8 Tactical Space Marines, 1 with Meltagun, 1 VetSarge with Powerfist = 160

5 Scouts, 1 with heavy bolter, 4 with bolt pistol and close combat weapon = 70

5 Scouts with bolt pistol and close combat weapon = 65

Elites

5 Terminators, with 2 assault cannons = 240

9 Veterans, 1 with Powerfist, 1 with Meltagun 1 Vet Sarge with Powerfist. All have Infiltrate = 227

1 Death Company Deadnought in a Drop Pod = 165

Fast Attack
    10 Assault Marines, 1 Vet Sarge with Power Fist = 250

Heavy Support

Whirlwind = 85

Total: 1884

I know this list is a little light on Anti-Tank, but I'm quite confident that I can rip up so many of his troops that he'll never recover fully. His Kroot are as good as dead, and the same with the Fire Warriors. I'm sure I'll be able to catch his Battlesuits with the Death Company or the Assault Squad if need be, and I'll be in Close Combat so fast that the Hammerheads won't be able to shoot at me more than once. I plan on positioning my models so that VERY few make it into assault when I charge, so the Tau won't break and I can hold them in combat until their turn, in which they will hopefully break. If this happens, I'l be free to assault another unit. I plan on going through his units, one at a time with the Death Company and assault squad until he has nothing left. The Tactical squads are mostly there to Meltagun any vehicles that get too close, and to support the assault once they get close (which is EASY when you have the modified Black Rage of the Flesh Tearers:tongue: ).

The Whirlwind is just there to keep those damn Fire Warriors and Battlesuits honest.

Please let me know what you think everyone.:yes:
    Last edited by Katie Drake; November 22nd, 2005 at 15:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your army list sounds good, but your Whirlwind isn't too effective against the Battlesuits, like you intended to use it. However, add another, (or two more), to deal with the Fire Warriors and Kroot. We hate high strength weapons because they kill Battlesuits, so bring Meltaguns, and AP 4, the Whirlwind. If you do, you should be able to out shoot them and out fight them in combat. So drop the Dreadnaught and a Scout squad, and use those points to add two Whirlwinds and lots of Meltaguns. However, it is your army, so feel free not to do this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast