Suggested new Doctrine: Hold Your Ground - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    are
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggested new Doctrine: Hold Your Ground

Hold your ground:
    This doctrine applies to all Imperial Guard units in Line of Sight and within 36" of a unit with a Commisar, Heavy Bolter and this doctrine. Affected units get +1 to a maximum of 10 to morale checks they take with their own Leadership, if they start to fall back for any reason they are instantly removed as the Commisar orders the Heavy Bolter crew to cut down the traitors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by are
    the Commisar orders the Heavy Bolter crew to cut down the traitors.
    What a waste of a turn of heavy bolter fire:tongue:
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

What if they don't have any heavy bolters?:lol:
    Just kidding, it's good but an unlucky roll could wipe out an entire unit. I sure a commissar would wipe out an entire squad.......maybe he would..
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

there's no mention of where the commissar and heavy bolter have to be in relation to each other. just both have to be withing range and sight of the target unit, both could from this surmise, be placed opposite far sides of the squad.

i'm guessing this idea was somewhat spawned or at least influenced from enemy at the gates first battle scene with the conscripts retreating and the russian officers firing on them.

i don't think being shot by a heavy bolter would change their minds too much, if nothing it would scatter them or at least just more demoralizing/terrifying.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

It would certainly be a great fluff idea for a penal battalion army?

Platoon Hq must contain Officer, Commissar and 1 or 2 x Heavy Bolter teams all with carapace armour (in case the convicts get ideas)

Must set up at least 6" behind the rearmost unit of the Penal Platoon.

Penal Squads have flak vests and lasguns with up to 3 special weapons per squad, no Heavy weapons, Voxes or Veteran Sergeants.

Minimum of 3 squads per platoon HQ.

(Shades of the Russian Front drift across the eyes )
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by vorlon
    It would certainly be a great fluff idea for a penal battalion army?

Platoon Hq must contain Officer, Commissar and 1 or 2 x Heavy Bolter teams all with carapace armour (in case the convicts get ideas)

Must set up at least 6" behind the rearmost unit of the Penal Platoon.

Penal Squads have flak vests and lasguns with up to 3 special weapons per squad, no Heavy weapons, Voxes or Veteran Sergeants.

Minimum of 3 squads per platoon HQ.

(Shades of the Russian Front drift across the eyes )
    i think combining the two would make a solid doctrine:

something like:
    0-2 Penal Platoon
    The Army is known to grant convicts a second chance to prove their worth to society by fighting on the front lines.

A Penal Platoon consists of 2 - 5 Penal Squads (use 5-10 man conscript squads) and one HQ squad (Must have Heavy Bolter). Penal Platoons count as Troops.

Special Rule: Inspirational Deployment - The HQ squad must be deployed behind the conscript platoons, all conscript platoons must be within line of sight of the HQ. As long as the Penal HQ has not broken or lost it's heavy bolter, the following special rules are in effect.

Special Rule: Bolter Enhanced Moral - if a Penal Squad fails a leadership test, they suffer 1d6 Wounds from Heavy Bolter fire (saves as normal, which usually means none) and are considered to have passed the leadership test.

Special Rule: Life Sentance - if the Penal Squad fails a leadership test that allows a sweeping advance, instead of Bolter Enhanced Moral, the squad is swept as normal, and the enemy takes d3 hits from Heavy Bolter fire instead.

May not be taken with Conscripts.
    maybe even chain that with another doctrine:

Hardened Criminals
    May only be taken with Penal Platoons

For an additional 1 point per model, all Penal Squads use the standard Imperial Guardsman stat line.
    Last edited by Holy_Smigs; November 25th, 2005 at 18:29.
    Pictures of the Smigs Army for your amusement....
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b390/Holy_Smigs/

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"

"JESUS SAVES! the rest of your models each take a wound."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

I like the idea of a sort of "morale support team," like the Commissar's Command Squad. Great concept, definitely one we should work with. As opposed to the squad suffering 1d6 wounds (they could potentially get off with just one man killed for horribly failing a morale test and then count as passing), perhaps they suffer a wound for every point they failed the test by? This might better represent the Commissar gunning down the stragglers and the first to retreat. Plus with a Conscript's low leadership, its likely that when they fail, they impressively fail.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    I like the idea of a sort of "morale support team," like the Commissar's Command Squad. Great concept, definitely one we should work with. As opposed to the squad suffering 1d6 wounds (they could potentially get off with just one man killed for horribly failing a morale test and then count as passing), perhaps they suffer a wound for every point they failed the test by? This might better represent the Commissar gunning down the stragglers and the first to retreat. Plus with a Conscript's low leadership, its likely that when they fail, they impressively fail.

well, normally, the commissar only causes one wound when attached to a squad...
    Pictures of the Smigs Army for your amusement....
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b390/Holy_Smigs/

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"

"JESUS SAVES! the rest of your models each take a wound."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I like the idea Smigs, but would it have to be a penal platoon. Could it work with normal guardsmen?
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by are
    Hold your ground:
    This doctrine applies to all Imperial Guard units in Line of Sight and within 36" of a unit with a Commisar, Heavy Bolter and this doctrine. Affected units get +1 to a maximum of 10 to morale checks they take with their own Leadership, if they start to fall back for any reason they are instantly removed as the Commisar orders the Heavy Bolter crew to cut down the traitors.
    i dislike it incredibly (fluff reasons)

heres my argument from the heavy bolter team's stand point
    so you want me to waste valuble heavy bolter fire while the enemy is firing at me to cut down some of my friends who are running(not betraying) for an obvious reason?(khorn beserkers)

heres my argument from an officer's stand point
    one man every now and then executed is great for keeping them in line and focused. but mowing down whole units just because theyre only human! i need to win a campaign!! if the situation is obviously bleak i expect them to fallback i can always launch a counter-attack!! so your saying if i lose the battle ALL of my men die? thats not what i want to hear.

heres my argument from a commisar's stand point
    keeping my men in line by executing an officer or one man is great and then men understand that. however while i may be unpopular already i may have a hard time ordering whole squads put to death... ive heard about so of the stories that come from catachan where commisars have had unfortunate "accidents" i think the heavy bolter team would find it more comforting to shoot me then their buddies running from battle

my point is theres easier ways to ensure your guard dont run
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast