Telehomer in Transport/Deep Strike/Deploy question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telehomer in Transport/Deep Strike/Deploy question

Okay so say I have An Inq w/ telehommer attached to an IST squad in a rino and my FAGK squad becomes available. Can I that turn deploy and use the telehomer?

I know I can't use the telehomer while in the transport, my question is actually when the reserves come in exactly, is it any time during the movement phase, so could you place it before any other unit moved or after all had moved? Page 84 (I think) of the main book, is the only place where they talk about it and didn't say.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I believe deep strike reserves are placed on the board at the beginning of the movement phase so the homer must be on-board on the previous turn as they arrive before you could disembark.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah it sux, but ya gotta have deployed the previous turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I also do not believe a homer will work from within a vehicle. I think I read somewhere that the homer must be disembarked for it to function.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You actually can use the teleport homer from the inside of a transport, the only requirement for its use is that it be on the board, and the model using it is on the board, just inside a transport.

As for when, you call them down at the beginning of the movement phase, before anythng else has moved, just like normal deepstrike.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I don't know about that. A unit on a transport isn't actually on the board. Chaos must use icons to summon daeomns (which arrive via deep strike) and there have been numerous FAQs and forums messages regarding this exact problem. The icon will not function if the model carrying it is in a vehicle.

The old rules for teleport homer forced you to place a blast marker in contact with the model carrying the homer and this is not possible if the model is in a vehicle. The new Space Marine codex changed the ruling on the troop placement for teleport homers.

Here is a scenario that has a problem if homers can be used in vehicles:
    Scenario 1:
    A unit with a teleport homer moves forward 6". The next turn an arriving DS unit can be placed within 6" of the homer. So the arriving unit may be placed a total of 12" from the starting location of the original unit (6" move + 6" homer). This is how it is supposed to function.

Scenario 2:
    A unit with a homer embarks onto a Rhino (from the rear access hatch). The Rhino moves forward 6". The next turn an arriving DS unit can be placed within 6" of the homer. Where do I place the arriving troops? Can I place them from the front of the Rhino thus giving them a free 8" move (or whatever the length of the Rhino model is)?
    So the arriving unit may be placed a total of 20" from the starting location of the original unit (6" move + 6" homer + length of Rhino (assume 8")).
    This scenario provides an unfair advantage to the teleport homer by allowing me to place my DS troops closer than normal.

So, by this simple example you can see how the homer can be abused if it is allowed to function while within a vehicle. Because the homer's exact location is not known while the model carrying it is in a transport this is an unfair advantage. Play it however you want but I choose to be fair when it comes to issues like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Keep in mind the difference between scenarios isn't just a difference in how you interpret rules. You've included a XX point Rhino into the mix, which needs to be in the correct position. You allow your unit potentially be shot all to poop by any anti-tank weaponry that's laying around. Lots of extra things. It's not a bad illustration though, definately. I hadn't thought of the issue of not knowing where to measure the 6" from. I had just put "from the center" in my head.

Mind you, I completely agree that in this case 'on the table' should mean out of transports using the same reference you did regarding chaos icons. Although during deployment I'm pretty sure you can put an IC into a transport with another unit (starting joined to the unit.) Although that rule says 'on the table' as well. (If I'm wrong, just PM me. That's not what this thread is about.)

This game has really made me appreciate the 200-some pages full of nitty-gritty picky rules and details that Magic:the Gathering has. Of course, it doesn't have cool little men shooting the living crap out of each other, which is a definate down side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    Here is a scenario that has a problem if homers can be used in vehicles:
    Scenario 1:
    A unit with a teleport homer moves forward 6"...

Scenario 2:
    A unit with a homer embarks onto a Rhino (from the rear access hatch). The Rhino moves forward 6"...
    there is a third scenario that would get you even closer...what if I start my troopers in a rhino and the sarge has a telehomer. I on the first turn run them up 12" jump them out (of a sideways/backwards rhino) 2" so that I can rapid fire my plasma at their guys that are on 24" away from my depolyment zone. On the next turn my boys teleport in and can be up to 12" (rhino move) + 3" (disembark move +base length) + 6" (telehomer distance) 21" from my deployment zone. Which I think is more effective than 20 inches from the backof your rhino (8" of which must be in the deployment zone)
    That gets my guys closer than just leaving them in the rhino and can't be argued with because the telehomer is on the board...My example is to show that it isn't cheap to leave the homer on the vehicle, infact it is probably cheaper to jump them out and get another few inches. I think the rule is ambiguious and I haven't run into it yet, but as far as it being cheap to use the homer in a rhino I don't think that is the whole truth.
    Last edited by nichodemus10; December 2nd, 2005 at 22:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you but where does it say that you have to have deployed the previous turn? I'm just not reading it in the Deep strike or reserve rules page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by nedroj
    Thank you but where does it say that you have to have deployed the previous turn? I'm just not reading it in the Deep strike or reserve rules page.
    It says it on the telehomer description...always the place you looked last--both for inconvience and because once you find it you don't look anywhere else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast