First tournie please help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First tournie please help

It's my first tournie in Jan. A doubles tournie. For those of u who dont know this is me (Tau) and my mate (Space Wolves) teaming up with 400 points each (combat patrol). Obviously we expect to face mostly space marines, or at least power armour. But we arent sure what to bring. I have to have a squad of firewarriors, and at the mo I've got 18 of these in 3 squads of 6, an XV8 with PR, MP and MT, and 5 Stealth suits. He's got 6 Grey Hunters (compulsory), A wolf guard battle leader (compulsory) ,and 8 Blood Claws in a rhino. We might replace my stealth suits with two more XV8s and his BC with BC bikers. What do you lot think, what do we need to look out for, what do we take, and how do we play? Tell us evrything!!! :w00t:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

He should leave his list the way it is, and you should indeed trade the stealths for more stealth suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    you should indeed trade the stealths for more stealth suits.
    i assum u mean swap the steaths for more crisis. Why is the BC in rhino better than BC on bikes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

BC on bikes would have the extra toughness, which to me, is a bit better than taking the risk of getting them killed and entangled.

I don't take transports, or in fact a rarely do, and in the first heat of this seasons GT I managed to inflict that on one or two oppoents...

However, IMO the downside to bikers will probably be the cost for them.

And don't forget, you never actually have to deploy in the rhino itself.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toastee
    However, IMO the downside to bikers will probably be the cost for them.
    We can get 5 bikers with a couple of power weapons, and a sergeant with another one, or Blood Claws with 1 power weapon and one power fist in a rhino with EA and SL.
    So whats it to be, and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Well, I've already explained the reasons, but its really up to you what you want to take.

The 5 bikers won't become entangled or have a chance to die in wreaks, but on the other hand, you only have 5 of them.

Both can basically move 12" But another downside to the BC being in a rhino is that you can't assault them the turn you disembark.
    The bikers can move 12" still assault. At least I think thats right, correcct me if I'm wrong.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

I would go with the bikers in 400pts dual battle. Why?
    Because 4 or 5 bikers with, listen to me here, 2 powerfist are going to eat right trough anything.
    Why?
    Cause first turn the'll turboboost making them move 24"and getting them a 3+ invernable save agaisnt shooting in your opponets turn. There issn't going to be shot enough stuff at them to kill them.
    next turn you ride them 12", shoot with da twin-linked bolters on rapid fire range and then charge your 6"
    Making your bikers getting 8 powerfist attacks and the attacks of every other guy left on turn two.

That's why I say bikers in small games.
    Rhino will get killed since there are so little of them in the army.
    Also I want to say that your Space Wolf friend can change everything he has in his band, because:
    The limits of Space Wolves for having at least 1 HQ and 1 Grey Hunters doesn't count in 40k 40 minutes. So he can do whatever he wants with his list.

I'd drop the Wolf Guard Battle Leader and tool the Grey hunters in favour of a few bikers and scouts, especially since they rock doing OBEL in small squads. A list a bit like this:

2 Scouts w/ ccw+bp
    2 Scouts w/ Powerweapons+bp (to kill everything)

3 Blood Claws bikers with ccw
    2 Blood Claw Bikers with Powerfists (fast killer unit)

5 Grey Hunters w/ ccw+bp
    1 Grey Hunter w/ Powerfist+bp
    Drop Pod (to get them in battle)

The scary thing of this army is that you tau guy will shoot the opponent up while a unit of bikers rides up the field. Then all off a sudden a drop pod with scary marines come dropping out of the air ready to eat everyone to pieces, paired off with a unit of cc maniacs running onto the field from your opponents side. That will give your opponents a LOT to worry about, often negating you shooting at them.

Note, Space Wolves should avoid charging too many units at a time, it's best to wipe out squads than tie them up, letting you shoot all you want.

Hope that helps a lot.

Own!
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfbanes
    The limits of Space Wolves for having at least 1 HQ and 1 Grey Hunters doesn't count in 40k 40 minutes.
    Thnx. That does help a lot, r u absolutely sure ? coz if thats wrong we'll be in big trouble! ((GW tournie ref's expression)

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfbanes
    The limits of Space Wolves for having at least 1 HQ and 1 Grey Hunters doesn't count in 40k 40 minutes. So he can do whatever he wants with his list.
    I have never, ever heard that rule anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong, but where is the rule? an second, I'm stopping collecting SW for a while, and i don't have: scouts, drop pod (i got obsessed with GH and have three packs in 2000pts) what else? oh yeah, I'm his SW-playing buddy, in case you haven't gathered by now.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

+ Reply to Thread