Grey Knight Army Fluff Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Grey Knight Army Fluff Help

Okay, I have finally decided on a them for my Grey Knights! Yay!:w00t:

But now, down to buisness. The idea I have is cool, but a little strange. My Grey Knights are themed like Greek Hoplites. I was orginally going to make them Roman, but I decided they would look cooler as hoplites
    (there's not a terrible lot of difference anyway).

I have modelled plumes out of green stuff on each of the Gk's helmets, and I'm planning on putting circular shields on the stormbolter arm (most likely the Empire spearman shields). I'm also thinking about doing a little skirt type thing coming down from the waist, like the hoplites have.

Now, the main probklem I have ran into here is fluff for my very unique grey knight force. I have no freaking idea of how to explain why this daemonslaying puritans have modelled themsleves on ancient warriorrs from Terra.

One idea that sprang to mind was they dressed like these ancient Terran warriors to strike fear into the heart of the enemy, but I don't know of how many armies would be afraid of grey men in skirts:tongue:

Please, please, please can some people help me think of some good fluff to help explain this!

Thanks heaps,
    Dr. Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought if you look back into the depths of greek mythology, i bet you will find a heroic guy who led a group of hoplites that accomplished some major feat such as killing some mythical beast, You can say your grey nights are built after these heros of old terra who were perhapse the first unit who officially hnted down monsters or something.

Just a thought

Agate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

The problem is that the GK are fairly faceless. Hmm.

How about saying that the local garrison on planet ____ adopted some of the local style to make themselves less foreign to the planet? Greek/Roman style is much more an Ultramarines thing, and garrisons aren't really how GK roll, but it doesnt *conflict* with any major fluff. You definitely can't say that they draw from ____ planet for recruits, since they actually draw from all over the Imperium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Agate
    Just a thought if you look back into the depths of greek mythology, i bet you will find a heroic guy who led a group of hoplites that accomplished some major feat such as killing some mythical beast, You can say your grey nights are built after these heros of old terra who were perhapse the first unit who officially hnted down monsters or something.

Just a thought

Agate
    Sounds interesting...Like the Valhallans from Norse mythology...I'll have to look in to that.
    LO's Offical Uber GM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100 (x5)

Well, I googled it for a while, and tried to think back into my own decent knowledge of Greek Mythos, and the closest thing I can think to it would be Jason and the Argonauts.

But, unfortunately this doesn't suit it very well, as the argonauts were just random people who wanted to go on a sea voyage on the ship- the Argo.

Then again, hoplites were just civillians who were put in the military...Hmm.. this may be going somewhere.
    Perhaps these grey knights could be on a quest to find something (eg. the golden fleece in the J&A story) and their ship they take is called the Argo.

I don't know how well a name 'Jason' would be for A Grandmaster, maybe some latin variant like 'Jasonus' or 'Jasus' ... Hmm...that's getting awfully close to Jesus...:lol:

Interesting...What do you guys think?
    LO's Offical Uber GM

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, just call him Jesus... gk are holy enough for it

and make sure jesus has 2 wounds
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC
    The problem is that the GK are fairly faceless. Hmm.

How about saying that the local garrison on planet ____ adopted some of the local style to make themselves less foreign to the planet? Greek/Roman style is much more an Ultramarines thing, and garrisons aren't really how GK roll, but it doesnt *conflict* with any major fluff. You definitely can't say that they draw from ____ planet for recruits, since they actually draw from all over the Imperium.
    Like megalomaniac said, GK don't do garrison duty, so that's out. Even if they did, they are a strike force that routinely kills any and all witnesses, so they could care less how "foreign" they look.

One way would be to say that a particular GK unit has been assigned on a particularly long crusade with an Inquisitor (like cleansing an entire sector as part of a protracted campaign). The Inquisitor's personal style is Greek-influenced, and some of that influence has rubbed-off on the GK that have been working so closely with him for so long. Hence the plumes and such.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_nick22
    Well, I googled it for a while, and tried to think back into my own decent knowledge of Greek Mythos, and the closest thing I can think to it would be Jason and the Argonauts.

But, unfortunately this doesn't suit it very well, as the argonauts were just random people who wanted to go on a sea voyage on the ship- the Argo.

Then again, hoplites were just civillians who were put in the military...Hmm.. this may be going somewhere.
    Perhaps these grey knights could be on a quest to find something (eg. the golden fleece in the J&A story) and their ship they take is called the Argo.

I don't know how well a name 'Jason' would be for A Grandmaster, maybe some latin variant like 'Jasonus' or 'Jasus' ... Hmm...that's getting awfully close to Jesus...:lol:

Interesting...What do you guys think?
    I think you'd be better off using Achilleus and his Myrmidons as a basis for your army. During the Trojan War at least, Achilleus was the strongest warrior on the battlefield. In addition, there's that whole thing about Wrath that fits pretty well. Some other names you could use from the Greek side, for Justicars and such, are Aias (also known as Ajax. He was the second most powerful warrior in the Illiad, but in contrast with Achilleus achieved this position without supernatural aid), Phoinix, Menelaus, Patroklos, Nestor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyEntropy
    I think you'd be better off using Achilleus and his Myrmidons as a basis for your army. During the Trojan War at least, Achilleus was the strongest warrior on the battlefield. In addition, there's that whole thing about Wrath that fits pretty well. Some other names you could use from the Greek side, for Justicars and such, are Aias (also known as Ajax. He was the second most powerful warrior in the Illiad, but in contrast with Achilleus achieved this position without supernatural aid), Phoinix, Menelaus, Patroklos, Nestor.
    Oh, yeah! I forgot about them. Geez, and and I've seen Troy about 3 times, and read the Illiad. Man, I'm an idiot.
    Cool idea, but I think I'll combine it with soemof the other guys ideas like RJSuperfreaky's.
    LO's Offical Uber GM

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Like megalomaniac said, GK don't do garrison duty, so that's out. Even if they did, they are a strike force that routinely kills any and all witnesses, so they could care less how "foreign" they look.

One way would be to say that a particular GK unit has been assigned on a particularly long crusade with an Inquisitor (like cleansing an entire sector as part of a protracted campaign). The Inquisitor's personal style is Greek-influenced, and some of that influence has rubbed-off on the GK that have been working so closely with him for so long. Hence the plumes and such.
    This seems about the only way around it. Oh, and it would just be a personal =][= style, no "anciet warriors from terra", as they would be long forgotten. Just be very carefull on how you write it. GK fluff is not to be messed with. Screw one thing up, and they're not GK anymore. Now that the pressures of... Good luck.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast