Hello! and Help? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! and Help?

Hello everyone! Im Joker_Of_Hearts, just started out here, and still a noob to Warhammer 40K. I just wanted to say hi, and also ask a few noobish questions. (But since everyone has to start somewhere I might as well start here)

Ok So since the GW I go to the people there Lie so they could get sales I have some questions to ask you guys since most of you on this section of the forum play as IG.

1. Can the IG get an Inquisitor so they can field some space marines or extra things?

2. How many tanks can the IG possibly get in an army. It says only 3 Heavy weapon squads, so I am just thinking 3. (but in the pictures of armys and what not have multiple tanks. Probably just there for fluff pics or whatnot.)

3. Is the leman Russ Battle Cannon use the Ordinace rules for the artillary die and the d6 roll?

4. For Conscripts, in the Codex it says you may have 1 platoon of Conscripts for 1 platoon of Regular Troopers. So does that mean you get 1 platoon of Conscripts for every 1 platton of regular troops?

5. The guys at GW told me that I could use the Techpriest as a Commanding unit. Is this true?

Well If anyone can answer, and I am sure you can, It would be much help to me. Also Hello to all the people of the forums. :w00t:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, welcome to LO .

1) no they cannot use an inquisitor to use space marines, although they can use an inquisitor to get extra things, as in assasins and the like.

2) the pictures were taken by a professional photographer using models to make the picture look nice. A basic regiment of IG can only use 3 tanks, plus a few transports.

3) by artillery die, i assume you mean the scatter die. when you fire the cannon you roll a d6 plus the scatter die. if you move and fire the cannon, you roll 2d6 and the scatter die.

4) uh... yeah. you can only have one platoon of conscripts per platoon on regular troops.

5) no, a techpriest cannot be used as a command unit. for starters, it's an elite. second, you may and must only use the command platoon as a commanding unit.

hope i helped. good luck .

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Nice post 6962.

Erm... what he said. :yes:
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx!

happy to help any time.
    Last edited by GreyKnight6962; December 7th, 2005 at 05:04. Reason: added smile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh thanks very much! That has helped me alot. Well, now I gotta go buy a Command Squad! :w00t:

Now I can't trust the workers at the GW at all... the False information I get from them...

Anyways thanks alot.

BTW, I knew it was an elite, but again, the guys at GW told me the doctorines allowed me to use him as a Commader....

Oui.
    Last edited by Joker_Of_Hearts; December 7th, 2005 at 05:07.

In a magical little place called 'Hanford', where little elves fly about the hazy air
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x0)

GK, your advice is pretty much spot-on, but I can spot wun tiny wittle mistake!
    2) the pictures were taken by a professional photographer using models to make the picture look nice. A basic regiment of IG can only use 3 tanks, plus a few transports.
    Actually, you can take six tanks-three heavy support, and three Hellhounds.

Joker_Of_Hearts: A warning about the Command Squad: It's only 5 models, and, even though there pretty nice, the box is hideously overpriced at $35. If you want to save money and get some more men, you can buy the normal troop boxed set and make 2 officers with there staff out of that, and have a squad of men left over.
    Last edited by SlickWilly; December 7th, 2005 at 05:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Welcome to the Guard and our little corner of the net. Always nice to see some new blood around here, especially respectful ones who are willing to ask questions and learn a bit. Moving onto your questions....

1. Can the IG get an Inquisitor so they can field some space marines or extra things?
    Yes, the Imperial Guard can get allied Inquisitors from the Daemon Hunter or Witch Hunter lists (and the Alien Hunters whenever GW gets around to releasing them). The rules for allied forces can be found in the corresponding codex. You'll never get normal allied Space Marines in an Imperial Guard force, but you can be augmented by Grey Knights (for Daemon Hunters) or Sisters of Battle (for Witch Hunters), and a slew of different units. They're interesting for adding some spice to your lists, but I'd focus on learning just the Guard first, before you move onto hybrid lists.

2. How many tanks can the IG possibly get in an army. It says only 3 Heavy weapon squads, so I am just thinking 3. (but in the pictures of armys and what not have multiple tanks. Probably just there for fluff pics or whatnot.)
    You're correct in assuming that pictures in the codex aren't reliable examples of the rules. They snap pictures of what looks cool and pretty on the tabletop, not necessarily what you might have. To answer your question: quite a few. The Heavy Support section gives you a nice selection of battle tanks and artillery pieces, and you can have up to three from there. Fast Attack has the Hellhound with is sort of a medium tank, not quite as armored or armed as the Leman, but still formidable. So that makes three more, for a running total of six. In addition to those tanks, you could have an almost unlimited number of Chimeras (you'll run out of money to buy the models and points in your list before you run out of squads that could potentially upgrade to have one). So if we omit transports, a Guard force could very likely have six tanks that can really take the fight to the enemy, and even the Chimera (as a transport) is still a formidable fighting vehicle. Most Guard lists feature at least 2-3 tanks, and many have 3-5.

3. Is the leman Russ Battle Cannon use the Ordinace rules for the artillary die and the d6 roll?
    Yes, the Leman Russ is ordance so you fire it as such. I'm assuming by "the d6 roll" you mean rolling to hit using ballistic skill? If that's what you mean, that's a negative. Ordance you just place it where you want it within line of sight and range, and then roll scatter for it (1d6 if stationary, 2 d6 if moving or if you're firing without line of sight like with a Basilisk's ability to fire indirectly).

4. For Conscripts, in the Codex it says you may have 1 platoon of Conscripts for 1 platoon of Regular Troopers. So does that mean you get 1 platoon of Conscripts for every 1 platton of regular troops?
    That is correct, for each platoon of normal Guard infantry you may take one conscript platoon. This means if you really wanted to, that you could max out on conscripts by taking a small Infantry platoon of two Infantry Squads and a Command Squad, and then taking a five squad platoon of conscripts (50 conscripts to every 25 guardsmen). However I wouldn't recommend it, as Conscripts really aren't very useful in most cases as anything but a tar pit to tie up a single enemy unit for a little bit. Their BS of 2 is downright pathetic, and they pay a premium for all their heavy and special weapons, meaning you pay more points to purchase a weapon that'll hit less often. I much prefer more Infantry Squads over Conscript Platoons.

5. The guys at GW told me that I could use the Techpriest as a Commanding unit. Is this true?
    It's really a shame that people at GW stores offer such piss-poor advice, because he was completely wrong. Techpriests are singularly useless units, I wouldn't recommend they be used in any capacity. They are most definitely not a "command unit," as they are an Elites choice, not an HQ. The only HQ choice the standard Guard force has (without using Special Characters or Allies) is the mandatory Command Platoon--which consists of a Command Squad with your commander, and up to five support squads. Guard isn't very flexible in terms of HQ and its command, but the unit is efficient and brings more men and firepower to the table than any HQ choice for any other army.

If you haven't already purchased the codex, I highly recommend you do so as your first and most important buy. Read through it a few times to familiarize yourself, and take the time to read the FAQ's posted on games workshop's site. Maybe read through the sticky threads at the top of this forum and look through a few other threads that catch your interest. If you have any questions feel free to post more here and myself or someone else will definitely help you out to the best of our ability. Once you feel like you understand things fairly well, try making up a list for your army, maybe just 500-1000 points and post it here for feedback. Having an idea of what you want to build before you go out and start purchasing things keeps you from buying willy-nilly and ending up with a lot of stuff you won't use. If you want to get a start on things now, I would just go out and purchase a troop box of either Cadians or Catachan (whatever look appeals to you more), and try assembling and painting them. They form a good core of your army, and barring some strange organization, you'll definitely need them.

Hope this has helped, feel free to ask any other questions you might have. Once again, welcome.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you please explain to me your post LOLZOR!:rolleyes:

I dont understand how you can take so many tanks? Where does it say this in the Codex?

Also for the conversions, would you only use 1 commander from that box set and just convert the crap out of him?

OMG! He asnwered 'em ALL! Thanks alot guys and Thanks for welcoming me. I plan to spend some time here and cant wait to learn some More!
    Last edited by Joker_Of_Hearts; December 7th, 2005 at 05:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Well damn, how many people managed to type posts while I was writing mine? For pete's sake, don't I feel redundant now? :wacko:
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lolzor! Dont wory about it.
    But now I would like to know how he plans on converting the models like he says I should. I would really like to know to save some money!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast