Apothecaries worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apothecaries worth it?

So putting together a melee command squad and adding an Apothecary, was just wondering what anyone can tell me of their effectiveness. 25pts adds alot to the squads cost and I imagine there are times when things just get wiped out fast regardless. Chapter Master with power sword + pistol, Champion, and Vet Sgt w/Fist would be in there as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by slamfu
    So putting together a melee command squad and adding an Apothecary, was just wondering what anyone can tell me of their effectiveness. 25pts adds alot to the squads cost and I imagine there are times when things just get wiped out fast regardless. Chapter Master with power sword + pistol, Champion, and Vet Sgt w/Fist would be in there as well.
    Since it's a melee command squad, definetly do NOT have an apothecary, because it's abilities do not work in the assault phase. The veteran sergeant w/ powerfist, Champion, and the master are fine as they are. I would suggest Lightning claws for the Master instead of the Powersword and pistol, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always take one, as one wound ignored is one soilder for me to crush the enemys of the emperor with.

-Shiruken
    You must be like the Ocean, not the Tiger. The Tiger might spring at a mountain and claw the ever living crap out of it, but it is the Ocean who will slowly wear down the Mountain.

This Could Be The Most Amazing Model I Have Ever Seen
    http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Shiruken%20Ravenheart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

It depends on what your going to be doing with your command squad. Apothacaries are GREAT at defending against incoming fire; ignoring basic wounds within 6" of him and ignoring casualties taken from the shooting phase when counting them up for a 25% morale check. How is your command squad going to to be entering the fray?

If you choose to foot-slog them up the field, it'll take you a few turns to get into assault range of your enemy, a couple of which you are in range of thier weapons. When normally you would loose 1-2 marines per turn, you now loose only 0-1 marines per turn, giving you more marines for the assault. IMO, here the apothacary is worth his points.

Transports and drop pods cost more but protect your troops on the way into combat, possibly protecting against higher-damage shots that the apothacary couldn't save. While gaining a bit of extra armor and speed, they are sometimes limited as to what they can do when they leave a transport, so you have to be careful. A apothacary in a drop pod COULD be useful, as the squad that landed my not assault that turn, only shoot. They're most likely going to be left out in the open for the enemy to take pot-shots at; the apothacary could save a wound or two and at the very least, keep the unit's morale from being broke and running away. I don't think he'd win back his points though. Don't bother with an apothacary if you're going with something like a LRC, because it'll spit your guys out into assault, apothcaries are useless when locked in combat.

Really, to make the MOST out of your points, decide how your HQ is going to be travelling, then decide if you really need 25 points worth of defence against the enemy's shooting phase. Good luck to you!

This was a triumph...
    I'm making a note here:
    HUGE SUCCESS
    Its hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Adeptus Mechanicus;
    We do what we must because we can
    for the good all of us,
    except the ones who are dead...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

I always take one with my command squad on a fluff principle, in game terms it does fine despite it being assault orientated (Relictors).

Then again I am a fan of using plasma and melta weapons to soften up enemy units before closing in for the kill.

+ Reply to Thread