Scion of Mars W/ Devastators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scion of Mars W/ Devastators

If I'm reading my Codex correctly I can take Scions of Mars and give my Devastators Terminator armor for +15 pts. This means they can move a full 6 inches and fire their heavy weapons, right?

Do you think this is worth it?

My blast template of S10 AP2 will toast all terminators.

Iron Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

no, scions of mars just makes terminator armor available for VETERAN SERGEANTS. Normal marines still have their own power armor, so they still have to stand still to shoot...

So no, I don't think it's worth it, as devastators don't really need a veteran sergeant, let alone such an expensive one.
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says "any" single wound model.

Iron Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but the terminator armour is part of the wargear list and the only person in the devastator squad who can get anything from the wargear section is a veteran sergeant. Nice idea though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

ROCK ON, someone gets it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Shortcut
    It says "any" single wound model.
    WOW!!! Someone who thinks the same way that I do!!!

I've been getting some flak recently about the way Scions of Mars is worded and what exactly it does. I've interperted it like this:

Scions of Mars not only reduces the points cost of Termie Armor from 25 to 25/15, but because of the last sentance of the trait it acts as a bypass so that ANY single wound model without access to the armory can be GIVEN Terminator Armor without first having Terminator Honors (the Honors are included in the Armor at no extra points cost).

However, this is only useful to squad sergeants that have the ability to have access to the armory once they get Terminator Honors because the Armor does not come with weapons and only certain weapons can be used in conjunction with Terminator Armor. You must buy Terminator-friendly weapons from the armory and only the sergeants can do that. This means that you are able to have a Terminator Sergeant with Storm Bolter and Power Fist cost the same as a Power Armored Sergeant with Storm Bolter and Power fist. Pretty powerful huh?

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Shortcut
    If I'm reading my Codex correctly I can take Scions of Mars and give my Devastators Terminator armor for +15 pts. This means they can move a full 6 inches and fire their heavy weapons, right?
    Unfortunatly, the heavy weapons that the Devistators can select are not Terminator friendly and are automatically dropped. You'd be able to put them all in Termie Armor, but they would have no weapons except thier bare hands, equivilant of one CCW. Your sergeant however, has Termie Honors, thanks to the Termie Armor, and therefore may select any weapon from the armory that has the "T" designator next to it.

I'm sorry that you can't do what you want with this rule, but please, check out my thread to find out what cool things I'm thinking about doing and help me out with the debate about Scions of Mars: Terminator Apothacary Sergeants (Question: Terminator Apothacary Sergeant...)

This was a triumph...
    I'm making a note here:
    HUGE SUCCESS
    Its hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Adeptus Mechanicus;
    We do what we must because we can
    for the good all of us,
    except the ones who are dead...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x3)

The wording can be interpreted however anyone wants it the facts remain that you CANNOT kit your whole army out in T-armor. The rule were OBVIOUSLY made so that ONLY models who could select from the armory could take the armor. This is made evident where its says that the point costs on T-armor is changed to 25/15....indicating that the armor is still bought from the armory, at a reduced cost for single wound models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabe
    The wording can be interpreted however anyone wants it the facts remain that you CANNOT kit your whole army out in T-armor. The rule were OBVIOUSLY made so that ONLY models who could select from the armory could take the armor. This is made evident where its says that the point costs on T-armor is changed to 25/15....indicating that the armor is still bought from the armory, at a reduced cost for single wound models.

Question: If you want for your sergeants to have access to the armory, what do you have to give them?

Terminator Honors, right? :yes:

Where do they get Terminator Honors from?

The Armory, right? :yes:

Wait...

So in order to have access to the armory, you have to first have access to the armory? :wacko: That doesnt make any sence!

The sergeant's Character profile says, quote: "The sergeant may be given Terminator Honors for +15 points." He is GIVEN the option to take the Honors from his profile, not the armory because he doesn't have access to it yet.

The last sentance in Scions of Mars says, quote: "This does mean that single wound models may be given Terminator Armor." Again, single wound models usually don't have access to the armory, but Scions GIVES them access to Terminator Armor.

What stops you from turning every last man in your army into Terminators? Nothing. Except points cost and the fact that even though they have access to the Armor, it comes without weapons and, except for sergeants, marines STILL dont have access to the armory, meaning that they are forced to drop thier weapons and aren't able to purchase new ones. Sergeants, however, have it in thier Character profile, quote: "If so, (taken Terminator Honors) he may select equipment from the Space Marine Armory" and the "Terminator Honors are already included (in the Armor) at no extra points cost", as per the Terminator Armor entry. Sergeants may be GIVEN Termie Armor and then may select further equipment from the armory because the Honors are included.

This was a triumph...
    I'm making a note here:
    HUGE SUCCESS
    Its hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Adeptus Mechanicus;
    We do what we must because we can
    for the good all of us,
    except the ones who are dead...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

You're not getting it at all..

Scions of Mars does nothing except change the stats in the armoury. It does not say 'all 1 wound models may take terminator armour at +15 points', it merely states that the terminator armour which is in the armoury is now 15/25.

You still need to access the armoury to be able to take anything from it. It merely means that, if you are a 1 wound model with access to the armoury, you can take terminator armour.

Sergeants may take terminator honours because it is specifically listed in their profile that they can. This is an exception to the normal rules regarding the armoury. If it stated in the profile that 'the sergeant may take terminator armour at +15 points' he would also be able to do this. However, it doesn't, and scions of mars doesn't change that.

It's just basic logic, guys.. if you think this is tough, try magic the gathering.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; December 12th, 2005 at 02:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x3)

The guy above me is right. You just aren't getting it.

Yes sergeants can take Termie honros without access to the armory. But tahts because its actually a specific non-armory option for them. They can't take any sort of terminator armor without first gaining acces to the armory via the honors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I might need to call the help line on this one.

I assumed it meant you can buy T armor for any model you want. The reason being is it DOUBLES the cost of one model. That would prevent you from creating a huge army of terminators.

The rule does say "ANY" one wound model. The weapons part isn't to clear to me as I assumed they just kept the weapons they had.

It doesn't make sense to me for it to mean only SGTs can have T armor. They could get it without Scions of Mars.

Iron Clan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast