Damn those Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn those Tyranids

I recently played tyranids for the first time and was astonished how i lost. I figured that the biggest strength of nids was numbers so i took as many heavy bolters, autocannons and grenade launchers as i could, i also had 2 leman russes, a demolisher, 3 hellhounds, 1 lascannon squad and 1 missle lnchr squad. I went first and by turn 2 he only had 3 models left!!!! Only that the 3 models were a hive tyrant with flying and 2 Carnifexes and they all had T8 and 2+ saves and regen. I Mostly had my whole army left but then they justwalked around and killed everything unopposed. Has this happened to anyone else/does anyone have good advice.......or is it just as simple as putting lascannons in all my squads?

"Crescit in adversis virtus" (Virtue is Born in Hardship)

"Cheese is the cry of the weak"

You are; Empire (truly)
    You are 63% Honorable, 47% Bloodthirsty, 37% Magic-minded, and 85% tactically-oriented!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Hive tryant can only have T6 and fexs can only max out to T7. You will need plasma guns in your squads drop grenade launchers . You will need some more lasercannons change out autocannons for them. Hvy bolters are great against rest of his army except for the big stuff. The flying HT is more important then fexs due to speed a flying HT should get to your lines by turn 2. Shoot 1 big target until it is dead them move to your next target. Overall your army was good just need some more ap2 weapons.
    bonekrusher
    Last edited by bonekrusher; December 13th, 2005 at 15:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the autocannons would probably work well if you had enough of them. As to special weapons, a melta or two wouldn't hurt. While they are shorter ranged than plasma guns, meltas never get hot.
    "Bibamus, moriendum est."
    -Death's unavoidable; let's have a drink

Please, for the love of everything, check your spelling and grammar. Little occasional slips are okay, but "spasial wepns" just hurts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you hit them with your demolisher at all? I have a similar experience against blood angels. 1500 pt game, he had 2 Baal Class predators and a lot of tac squads, and a chaplain that had a 4+ invulnerable, crosius, powerfist, and a lot of other awesome assaulty things. I blew up everything except his chaplain and a Predator. They both advanced, the chaplain hiding behind the predator. I shot with my basilisk, and it scattered. The predator ended up immobilised after moving up closer, and the chaplain assaulted a squad. He went through 2 of my squads and the predator killed my other 2. Then the chaplain took out all my tanks, and finally my Stormies that deepstriked. That was just luck though. With your "nid problem, take a few plasma/melta guns, or slap on plasma sponsons to your demolisher (shouldnt have anything else anyway). Ask for a re-match, and let us know how it goes.
    How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

A Nid player once said to me, a Tyranid army is nothing but a delivery system for a Hive Tyrant. And think of a Carnifex as a Tank.

A couple of last chancers with democharges that look like gian Raid cans.

Yarrick might do the job in cc, although he is dicey and pricey.

An excellent character-killer would be an allied WH Cannoness. (HQ)

If tooled correctly, she can become 2+ Invulnerable in cc, and can augment her strength up to in CC 8 if she takes an Evisverator and uses Faith. She can also take along a BS5 Inferno Pistol (which essentially is a Melta-Pistol). All this will cost you approx 110 points. Even if she just ties the creature up for the rest of the game, she's a hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

The new 'Nids are all about taking MC's. Here is my comments from my last Tourney from a previous thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer
    Game #3 vs Nids , Annihalation.
    I admit to only playing Nids once before, and knowing not nearly enough about target Priority. This is a funny one, because I had enough anti-troop capability to beat him, but I did not have enough Lascannons. Seem backwards? He had two Carnifexs tooled out, Hive Tyrant tooled out with Tyrant Guard, and (i think) Zoantroaps that have a 2+ save. He got first turn, which was a bummer and long edge 15" deployment zones meant that he was going to be in fast. Simply put, I could not kill his Monstrous creatures fast enough. Grenadier AP5 BS4 guns shone at killing little bugs. I had 5 lascannons, I needed 9. This was a very smart Army list by my opponent, very few armys have that much AP2. Crushing Victory for him.

What did I learn: Re-enforced that even against Hoard armies Lascannon are way better than Missle Launcher, even if just for the AP2. I also learned that Tyrannid shooting is nothing to laugh at. The have a lot of hi strength weapons that can kill or disable tanks. Yes they can only glance, but before I had a chance to shoot, my Hellhound was wrecked, and I couldn't shoot my Demolisher.
    I have played them again a couple of times, and seen them played even more. You don't need a whole much of HB's with 'Nids now, because the lists I've seen only take a couple of minimum troop squads. Don't get me wrong, a HB Fire-support squad would still rock their troops, but in the end it's not the regular troops that will kill you. They load up on upgraded 'Fexes and a Hive Tyrant. Lots multi-wound 2+ save Big Bugs.

My suggestions for the New 'Nids are:

Lascannons ( a triple lascannon HW squad with Sharpshooters ) and more Lascannons to concentrate on the Hive Tyrant.

Borrow a GK Grandmaster with Termy Retinue to deepstrike next to the 'Fexes. Grandmasters have a Force Weapon which insta-kills multi-wound models like a Carnifex, and gives no armor saves.

Hellhounds are still very usefull vs Genestealers and 'Nid troops.

Genestealers are nasty and fast, so put your anti-troop shooting on these bad boys. Shoot an Ordnance blast or Hellhound template first, unload a squad of 10 Grenadiers or Stormies with two Plasma Rifles and unleash rapid-fire hell. You should be able to kill them all, or just about.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

KEY TO KILLING TMC's: RENDING....

unfourtunately, not many, if any IG units have weapons with rending, so you really do just have to do it the old fashioned way, with lots of large anal-boring guns....
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so yeah what really killed me was that he said all his guys had toughness 8. so if his tyrant was T6 my lasguns could have turned up some heat. but oh well next time i will be prepared and more inqisitave of his army.:sleep:
    "Crescit in adversis virtus" (Virtue is Born in Hardship)

"Cheese is the cry of the weak"

You are; Empire (truly)
    You are 63% Honorable, 47% Bloodthirsty, 37% Magic-minded, and 85% tactically-oriented!

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I do recommend for everyone to read the Tyranid Codex, the bugs are very different from any other armies you'll find on the battlefield which their plethora of special rules and gadgets you have no idea what they do. Heck, I couldn't even tell the small buggers appart before reading it.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, what kills me most are the dam spore mines... My friend likes to buy a few to release in the beginning of the game and deepstrike em next to my peeps... then blow em up.:cry:
    It hurts...:cry:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast