Are Penitent Engines ANY good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Penitent Engines ANY good?

As much as I'd like to field these things just for the "that looks cool" factor, I can't see it being worth it. You have to move them towards the enemy (which you may not want to do), have crappy armor (yes it ignores crew shaken/stunned but still with that many hits something else will happen to it eventually), and are close combat only (with regular flamers, whoop-dee-do).

And by the time you field 2 to have more targets, you could field another exorcist (a much better buy IMO).

Has anyone, ANYONE had any success with these things or could say how they should be used?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I always say this:

Before you even think about a PE or an Arco, you must first create a winning plan for how you will use the mandatory priest profitably. Otherwise, you have gimped yourself 40 points beyond the cost of the PE itself, which is already an over-priced part of an aging, weakening 3rd ed codex.

To save you a little trouble, PEs are generally not beneficial to your competitiveness.
    And I would say they are not particuarly fun to play doe to the fact that it removes your ability to choose direction.

If you really want to use them, I'd say hold out for games when you get an intellighence report of a fast, assaulty army in dense terrain. (when you know you are going up against a fast, assaulty army, and there's plenty of terrain).

As to having a powerful cc unit roaming your midfield, 6-8 GKs can fill the same role very well, and take teh pressure off your girls in cc, leaving them to do what they do best.
    Last edited by Red Zinfandel; December 14th, 2005 at 01:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

PE's arnt too bad, but dont take one.....they fall rather easily but if one actually made it into combat....well its mince meat for whoever, being armour 11 not much can touch it in combat. Well anyway, if you took say 4 or 5 its not so bad, not too expensive. As for the preist, put it in a celestian squad with an inquisitor with inquistorial mandate can be quite a nifty combo, granted not one that i would use

Although techniqually the opponent could get something like a tank near the units and have them chasing them for the entire game, quite funny if you think of it in that sense lol
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

+ Reply to Thread