Conscript Platoons:... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

Conscript Platoons:...

Howdy guys:
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried, this, it is mostly directed at the people that have upwards of 3000 points of IG.

In a 2000 point or 1850 point battle, have you ever maxed out your troop choices with conscript platoons? I think you can get all troop choices filled, without upgrades for like 1200 points, but there is a good chance I have done the math wrong. That gives you all the meat wall you need, just tac on a leman russ or two, your command squad, and an anti-tank squad to the command squad, and you are good to go!

TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

I believe you need a regular platoon for every conscript platoon, but yeah, you could take three of them with five squads in each. Its kind of unwieldy.

I played someone an edition ago take a list with 150 cultists(plus a couple squads of plague marines if I remember correctly) Took him almost an hour to set up. Yeesh.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

Be a nice meatshield though.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're better off with normal guardsmen platoons, seeing as hwo you can get 30 extra bodies in there that way. If you max out on regular platoons, you can get 330 guardsmen for 2040 points, without upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

And 50 Conscripts rapid-firing at 12" range could kill a grand total of......4 MEQ's. Whooo, look out Marines, we just spent 200 points (tack on more points for independant commissars to keep them in line) to kill a grand total of 60 points of marines, while providing no threat whatsoever to anything with an armor value. Not to mention that a marine squad could charge the conscript platoon in close combat and shut down an enormous part of your field of vision with the melee. Bad idea. In addition to the impracticality others have touched on, in terms of set-up, the number of models you'd have to purchase, etc. The best way to max out on effective infantry is to just go with standard Infantry Platoons which can wield heavy and special weapons effectively while still being far cheaper than most other armies' Troop choices.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Yeah, about the best use I've found for conscripts is 1 platoon of three squads that I give flamers and keep near my HSO to tie things up if the bad guys get too close. Any more than that and its just crazy in terms of how much room they take up. Mind you they did kill a bunch of genestealers in hth once(I think it there was 7 left after I flamed them and then charged), but that was before the new codex and the improved save on the genestealers.
    Last edited by Grey; December 18th, 2005 at 07:27.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I agree that the conscript melee blocks a LOT of lines of sight, but they're pretty effective at stalling the charge anyways. And 50 of them with 5 flamers is pretty damn good. I once charged an ork warboss and retinue who had underestimated my conscriupts. I think I had 35? We flamed all but ONE of his retinue, charged in and finished him off, with a little help from the commissar's powersword. But generally, I think that conscripts are only good in reasonable doses, because you shouldn't sacrifice too much from the GOOD parts of your list just to field more pointless models.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Conscirpts are well, rubbish bit they have their uses- two sqauds of maxed out conscripts look mighty tempting targets (particularly for people who love ordanance) and most people will want to rend and kill whatever they can so, the unit stands there and teases space marine captains with their lasguns and watch him try to kill that many bodies in a turn, combined with a commissar to keep them in line you have just stopped a 150 point model.

A smart player will just ignore them or devote one squad to their destruction at best so meh.....

Anyway this is getting a bit off topic, the thread is supposed to be if we have used them not are they any good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried them a couple of times. The nurgle player was able to kill of the platoon so quickly that between the 6 inch charge and then consolidation, the platoon actually sped him up. But look at the beast conscripts in White Dwarf. +1 weapons skill and furious charge for less than a point per conscript... That could wipe out marine squads with impunity.

+ Reply to Thread