Ratlings or Ogryns? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ratlings or Ogryns?

Well I was really wondering about Ratlings but I said I'd throw in Ogryns and ask about them aswell.

I was thinking of getting Ratlings or Ogryns but wasn't sure if they are effective.

I was working out the odds for a squad of 10 ratlings killing say, SM's. It works out that you would kill around 4 marines per turn if your lucky.

Ogryns I'm just not sure about. I mean wouldn't you have to mount them in a chimera to let them see action?

If you were to pick one, which would you pick?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Ogryns, as they can blunt an attack for a turn or two and but you time to reposition if need be.

They also aren't bad at stopping assault squads and other high number of attacks/low abilities (i.e no power weapon) squads that would normally cause a lot of pain.

I think they are cool so I would use them.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by IbramGaunt
    Well I was really wondering about Ratlings but I said I'd throw in Ogryns and ask about them aswell.

I was thinking of getting Ratlings or Ogryns but wasn't sure if they are effective.

I was working out the odds for a squad of 10 ratlings killing say, SM's. It works out that you would kill around 4 marines per turn if your lucky.

Ogryns I'm just not sure about. I mean wouldn't you have to mount them in a chimera to let them see action?

If you were to pick one, which would you pick?

EDIT(Used to say 10 marines): 4 marines per turn with 10 ratlings?

10 shots, 8,3 hits, 4,16 wounds, 1,38 failed saves is the result I get. No, if anything, use the ratlings against things like Greater Daemons, Wraithlords and other high toughness mediocre save creatues.

As for ogryns, use the search funtion, they have been discussed over and over and over the top lately, so it shouldn't be hard to find a topic about them. Most people seem to think that they're not worth their points though.
    Last edited by Kaiser; December 20th, 2005 at 19:53.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't say 10 marines per turn.

BTW, whats all those calculations you did? Very confusing.

I did make a mistake though, I forgot to incorporate the armour save which would make it around 1.4 kills a turn.

I only included Ogryns because I said I may as well seeing I'm making a topic.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by IbramGaunt
    I didn't say 10 marines per turn.

BTW, whats all those calculations you did? Very confusing.
    Calcs where 10/6 to get a 1/6th chance, times 5 to get a 5/6, meaning a roll of 2+, since they're sniper rifles. So that's 8,33 wounds, snipers always wound on 4+, meaning half. Split /2 for ~4,16. 3+ save, meaning split /3 for 1.38 dead marines.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, it was just very confusing because you were ussing commas (,) instead of periods (.) for some reason.

So anyways, you're saying they are effective against anything with high toughness but with an okay save? Are they really worth the points? I mean I could get a Basilisk for cheaper!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Personaly I love Ogryns:wub:
    But everybody on the forums probably knows that by now...

As for ratlings, I can see their usefulness but I've never used them. I have heard, however, that if you are going to take them take a full squad of 10.

And as for the basilisk, take one! It's one of the finer tanks in the game. I once killed 18 Assault marines with one shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandhi
    Personaly I love Ogryns:wub:
    But everybody on the forums probably knows that by now...

As for ratlings, I can see their usefulness but I've never used them. I have heard, however, that if you are going to take them take a full squad of 10.

And as for the basilisk, take one! It's one of the finer tanks in the game. I once killed 18 Assault marines with one shot
    Now tell me, how the hell did you kill 18 assault marines in one shot lol!

Well I might get Ratlings and Ogryns to add versitility to my army (btw I already have a Basilisk). You can get 10 Ratlings for less than 2 Ogryns, value for money eh?

BTW, what would be the recommended size for Ogryn squads? I mean, what would be most cost effective? Five seems decent but 10 seems pretty expensive.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ratlings gain there use through high toughness targets
    c'tan are a favorite target of ratlings
    ogryns are a waste of money. you get roughly 1.25 points per dollar
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Y2K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well personally I would take the ratlings because I find they are cost effective compared to some other sniper units and a cover save bonus so you can just perch them on a set of ruins or whatever terrain you like and fire away! However they do have the terribly low leadership and under average WS and S which are some downsides.

Ogryns however do make great CC units for IG however (personally) a 5+ Sv is not very handy at all, you could lose a handful to say bolter fire which is AP 5 in a shooting phase (even with 3 wounds)

Hope this is of help, Rob
    RG

+ Reply to Thread