Are Long Fangs Good/needed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm collecting a space wolf army with a few inducted GK's, and I was wondering, are long fangs needed.
    By the end of december, I shall have the following:

1x 10 Grey hunters
    1x 10 Blood claws
    1x Rhino
    1x Land Raider
    6x Grey knights
    1x Venerable Dread
    5/6x Wolf scouts

As I think I will have easily enough anti-tank by then, what advantages will they give me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like them, and never field them. Plenty of people swear by Long Fangs, though. Most people point out that they can split fire and how great that is. I’ve tried them out, and don’t like them.

The reason I don't like them is the small squad size and the cost. As soon as you start taking hits you either kill the sergeant and loose the split fire capability, or you start loosing heavy weapons. It's very easy to target them with other ranged or heavy weapons. And for the point value you can field better units.

My preference is Predators or attack bikes. Both provide mobile fire support and I find them more survivable. Yes, you can argue that one hit can take out the Predator, but bad rolls can cost you your Long Fangs in one round as well, and they're vulnerable to small arms fire.

With attack bikes, you can have a squad with multi-meltas x3, twin linked bolters x3 (that always fire as if not moving, so rapid fire within 12") T5 Sv2+ and can move 12" and still use their full firepower...and usually for less than a comparably equipped Long Fang unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know about vanilla space wolves, but i found them very effective for my 13th company as i dont need(i cant&#33 any viechles to take up any HS unit and a lot of long fangs with spit fire means = death from afar literally also, 13th company really does lack anti-tank weapons (u can have meta guns on grey slayers but they are risky) and lascannon really does help.
    another question, is fenrisian wolves a good choice for space wolves? with only 5+ save i reckon they are quite weak but anyone have any success? any advice for me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah long fangs are a great unit becuase of the split fire and there leader abiltity to have 2 guns ( just my personal opinion on the leader) that way you can take down anything that comes close and at the same time use the anti tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Long Fang sergeant may take 2 one handed weapons, for example two guns, but may only shoot one of them per shooting phase. If they hapen to be two pistols, they add +1A in hand to hand. That is the standard rule for all individuals able to pick from their appropriate armory, not something extra for the LF sergeant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you recommend I get on top of the list that I have?
    I was thinking wolf guard or/and Grey knight termies but these are quite expensive (cash wise and points wise).
    I don't really like bikes so I will probably not have them.
    Do you think I need any more normal troops? e.g. grey hunters or blood claws

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no a character with 2 guns can fire both guns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't get to fire both at the same, just 1+ attack. It looks cool though, and you could have plasma pistol in one hand and bolter in the other, which will give you a choice on what to shoot. Anyway, back on topic, anyone have an answer to my question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ragnar blackmane@Nov 27 2003, 12:48
    no a character with 2 guns can fire both guns
    Wrong again ragnar blackmane. May I suggest before you spout off any more rule quotes you actually look up the rule and provide a specific reference as to where you got the idea. That way you won't confuse new players by making incorrect claims. Except for Cyclone missile launchers with storm bolters, and special characters with specific rules, each model may only shoot one weapon per phase. Read the BBB, page 45, first paragraph after the bold writing, line three.

TEXE2003, You probably need more core troops. For Space Wolves, they are a great choice and very effective. I would keep the Land Raider out for games less than 1500 points. My personal choice would be replace it completely with a LR Crusader.

More core troops, augmented with Rhinos to get them to the fight quickly. I like to have 4 or more full units of GH, and one HQ with a 13-14 BC pack in a Crusader when the points get up there.

Most of my packs have power fists in there to take out armor when they get close, but I prefer to have some fast moving armor killers (attack bikes or land speeders) and/or some mobile heavy weapon support. Either Predators or a shooty dreadnought(s) tooled up with las/plas and missile launcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ANY WAY
    long fangs are definitly needed becuase of the split fire / anti tanks so yes get long fangs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast