Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
i just picked up the new guard codex and was looking around. i am thinking bout starting guard because it is a style of army that i dont have. i collect 'nids(numerous and not shooty) and gray knights(small numbers and a mix of both). i REALLY wanna try out guard.
as i was saying, i have been reading the dex and i am kinda confused. ive read a lot of the posts on the board which have really helped me(thanks all) but i still have a couple questions.
1. in the armoury section(p. 34) where it lists all the points costs for items and then has descriptions of the items bel;ow the chart thing. well, i noticed that they dont list point costs for items such as demolition charges, company standard, vox-casters and master-vox, and im sure there are more. where can i find the costs for these items?
2. how does the master-vox and vox-casters work? i know that each squad gets a vox-caster, but how does the connection between that and the master vox work? and how much does it cost for your officer to purchase one? does he get it or does one of the members of his command squad?
3. what is your command platoon like? what officer do you use and wiuth what wargear? what support sqauads do you use?
4. does each infantry squad in an infantry platoon act independantly throughout the game(shoot at different targets, break coherency, etc)?
5. Doctrines. i dont get these things at all. could someone please explain these to me to the best of your ability. specifically, im planning on playing cadians. do i get those doctrines for free, like do i gotta pay the +10 pts per squad if the doctrine is included in the cadian package if you will? again, im VERY confused on these.
sorry for such long questions but i REALLY gotta know. thanks a lot guys.
Hey, flinger, its good to see someone who is interested in the IG. We are not allowed to discuss copywrighted material on the forum, such as exact points values, but ill try my best :o
1. They are not listed because only certain squads can take them. Those certain squads have the points listed in their army list entries.
2. That is described very clearly in the armoury section. But, the master-vox allows other guardsmen squads to use the Officers leadership each turn as long as they have a vox-caster. A regular Guardsman carries a vox-caster.
3. I usually take lightly equipped Heroic Senior Officer with master-vox and vox's within the squads.
4. Ya :w
5. Usually an IG army can pick 5 Doctrines to use. The popular regiments (eg. Cadia), have the option to use the ones listed on pages 58-61 for their own regiment. The upside is that they usually have more than 5 Doctrines, but they are pre-picked and you cannot remove and add. You still need to pay in points for the Doctrines you choose to apply :lol:
IG since '95.
Since Baron did a good job answering the three, I'll answer the last two with my own opinions.
3 - Command Platoons:
Take senior officer and master-vox. Consider the plasma gun-medic combo, so when you kill yourself the medic 'll patch you up. Also, consider a standard. Most importantly - Don't go overboard. Remember, one multi-laser shot is instant death for your Officer, and you don't want 170 points going down like that.
5 - Doctrines.
Fun fun fun. You can either use the already made ones, or, (my fav) DIY. You get five doctrines. I would recomend ID and Sharpshooters.
<img src='http://www.imageshack.us/files/DI-IG.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
i found the sections on standard bearers and medics and things. thanks. so you guys screen your command platoon right? it seems logical just making sure though.
is the vox caster system worth it? i mean, most likely your infantry platoon will be by an officer anyways, and if im not using a heroic officer, then why would i use my senior officer's leadership if it is the same as my junoir officer's leadership?
i was thinking bout taking the close order drill doctrine, but now that i read it, it says that it only is of use if the squad is using its own leadership, and not that of an officer? so is that worth it?
one last thing. ive just picked up 4 boxes of heavy weapons teams. what do you think is the best combo of weapons for them. i was thinking of 2 autocannons, a heavy bolter, and a lascannon. is that good for a start?
thanks for the help
You should make half your infantry squads have HB and the other half LC. Then convert your command squads with a ML guy.
As for leadership, I find the best is to have a heroic senior officer with a standard bearer. Re-rolling morale checks is an unbelievibly good ability ( 12" ). Close order drill is alright if you have extra doctrine points as it costs nothing, however clumping people with bad armour and toughness together isn't exactly a great idea...( see flamer; which wounds on a 3+ and ignores flak armour ). Plus like you said its only if you use your section commander which is base 7, unless you upgrade him.
no auto cannons? i kinda like em.
and i think im gonna scrap the master-vox thing cuz for 1 more pt per squad i can upgrade my seargent to a veteran sergeant and get the same leadership with a better character instead of a vox-caster. and yes, i will include a standard bearer but a heroic senior officer is a lil point heavy for my liking in small battles.
theres a couple things I don't like about auto cannons. First 2 shots is not enough for guard. Second the strength is not enough for any armour vehical ( maybe 10, but comeon ). The AP 4, means marine and that still get there armour save. If your gonna allow them to still have there save why not get 3 shots with a cheaper HB ? Only advantage I see is range 48, but lately i've been playing more official scenario's ( in the rulebook ) and usually your within 48" at the start anyway, so it negates the long range advantage.
Edit- It also can't instant kill toughness 4, which means space marine HQ, Tyranids ( warriors, Zanthrope ). If you ever play a 'nid army with IG, you will understand why its important to instant kill such creaters like the 'thrope which get an armour save against everything put a plasma ( short range ) or a las cannon. Plus a squad of 9 warriors comming towards you puts a lil urgency in killing them.
yes but autocannons have an ap of 4, so when i go up against my friends tau and eldar armies, that helps.
so does a HB.
o ya :unsure:
4got bout that. now that your saying this, i think i will go 2 hb's and 2 lascannons. ill leave the autocannons to my deepstriking sentinels :lol: