A few Space Wolves questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

A few Space Wolves questions

I'm starting a SW army (Well, counts-as, using the BT minis), and I've got a few questions, relating to rules and tactics:

1: Can I take a Venerable Dreadnought from the SW codex as an HQ and a Elite Dreadnought upgraded to Venerable from the SM codex in the same army?

2: Is a Wolf Preist (Chaplain)-led 15-man squad of Blood Claws, upgraded with a tooled-up Wolf Guard Leader as nasty as it looks? A crazy amounts of attacks, lots of them with Power Weapons or Power Fists...expensive, yeah, but a crazy powerful-looking CC unit.

3: Are Blood Claws with Jump Packs worth it? I mean, the Bike is faster, better-armed and tougher. The only thing a Jump Pack has on a bike is the ability to clear terrain...although, given that I play on terrain-heavy tables, that might be worth it.

Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) you can only have 1 ven. dreadnaught per army, as per the codex of both SW and the standard one. this is discussed in deapth in another thread somewhere, just look for it.
    2) BC with a sarge and an IC (rune priest) are pretty metal, what with 4-5 PFs and all, plus striking from cover wiith the Storm caller power, not many would rejoice at the prospect of CC.
    3) as for the jump packs, personally i just dont think they are worth the price, just look at what you can do with #2 there, and compare the prices. just give your aforementioned BC pack a drop pod and call it even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broadside_Pilot

1: Can I take a Venerable Dreadnought from the SW codex as an HQ and a Elite Dreadnought upgraded to Venerable from the SM codex in the same army?
    Yes. While the Codex: Space Wolves entry says 0-1, they are seperate entries, and it is an upgrade to the Space Marine Dreadnought. Pete Haines has said this is valid for the moment, though i'm sure an F.A.Q. will change that eventually.

2: Is a Wolf Preist (Chaplain)-led 15-man squad of Blood Claws, upgraded with a tooled-up Wolf Guard Leader as nasty as it looks? A crazy amounts of attacks, lots of them with Power Weapons or Power Fists...expensive, yeah, but a crazy powerful-looking CC unit.
    Yes. I suggest PFs on your BCs though. They have a low WS, so you want every hit to count, and fists will do that for you. Make sure you keep all your ICs equipped with LCs or Frostblades, to take advantage of their initiative.

3: Are Blood Claws with Jump Packs worth it? I mean, the Bike is faster, better-armed and tougher. The only thing a Jump Pack has on a bike is the ability to clear terrain...although, given that I play on terrain-heavy tables, that might be worth it.
    Depends. I've found success with both Bikers and Jump Pack BCs. Jump Pack BCs don't get an IC to leash them, which hurts. But they also don't lose the +1 attack for two CCWs that Bikers do. Bikers will only have one attack each after the charge, so keep that in mind.

Corporal Punishment

2) BC with a sarge and an IC (rune priest) are pretty metal, what with 4-5 PFs and all, plus striking from cover wiith the Storm caller power, not many would rejoice at the prospect of CC.
    As it stands, Storm Caller is a grey area. The F.A.Q. hints that it can be used on the charge, but Pete Haines said (unofficially) that it cannot. Not sure if that's what you meant.

3) as for the jump packs, personally i just dont think they are worth the price, just look at what you can do with #2 there, and compare the prices. just give your aforementioned BC pack a drop pod and call it even.
    Keep in mind that by 4th edition rules, an IC cannot Drop Pod in with a BC pack, which makes them a risky buy. I don't like running unleashed units of BCs. I prefer GH packs for such tasks.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

This Wolf Player agrees with Cypher.

1. Discussed alot, all for we care, you can do so. You can field two 'Venerable' Dreads. although, getting more infantry is more recommended.

2. It iss't as nasty as it counts, cause it ain't fast. Nasty is:
    13 Blood Claws, 3 Powerfists
    1 WGPL, Powerfist
    1 IC

3. Personal preference, at the moment, Jump Packers are way overpriced, but both, the bikers and packers have their uses.
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

As for the ven dreads I'm also of the opinion that we should be able to field one of each, but it has been stated officially that we can not.

Concerning the clood blaws: I think both options have their benefits that make them equally valuable, however it seems very unfluffy to me to have anyone sporting a jump pack in a wolf army and as such would use the bikes.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards using Bikes instead of Jump Packs if I ever use those versions of the Blood Claws.

Anyways, you can also check out my first crack at a 1000-point SW army here (1000-point Space Wolf (First shot)).
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPublic
    As for the ven dreads I'm also of the opinion that we should be able to field one of each, but it has been stated officially that we can not.
    I have not read this anywhere. Could you show me where the official ruling is on that?
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

http://uk.games-workshop.com/apps/es...84&template=uk

Scroll down to the section concerning space wolves:

> 5. I would assume that even though the venerable dreadnaughts are different in space wolves, you would still not be able to upgrade your normal dreadnaught choice to a venerable as stated inside the new SM codex since you would then have 2 venerable dreadnaughts even though they are different in stats, abilities and costs.

(Tentatively) Yes. A fair point - we'll think on this a bit more too.
    Sorry for the late reply, been out of town for the holidays.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did recently find out i can't drop my IC w/ my BCs, but can he drop w/ a pack of GH? who may also be led by a WGPL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

You cannot have HQs (or other roster choices) join a drop pod chosen by another roster choice. Thus your IC can't join a podding unit of BCs or GHs. But you can have him pod in with his Wolf Guard Body Guard.
    Of course you can join a podded unit once it has arrived on the field.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

+ Reply to Thread