Defeating Blood Angels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defeating Blood Angels

Having had my DA army completely annihilated by my friends BA army, I've realised his army ahs reached a point where it is invincible. I am facing - a LRC with assault termies, normal termies, a baal pred, 3 tac squads, a 400pt Honour Guard, a death company with jumpacks, a dread with as+ccw, a squad of 5 snipers with 4 sniper rifles and 1 hb,an assault squad with melta bombs.....and he can fit literally all this in a 2500pt army.

Now, I faced this army using a 1500pt army recommended to me (and this army does work, i used it to slaughter a 1500pt chaos army (http://www.librarium-online.com/foru....php?t=48536)) (New DA Player - needs help). As I only had 1500pt to work with I allied with a 100pt Iron Warriors army (yes....foul heretics...), consisting of 2 squads of csm with a lascannon and autocannon, a dread with ccw+TL Lascannon, a predator annihilator and destructor, a 5 man termie squad and a nasty cc lord. suffice it to say my BA friend won a victorious slaughter, killing everything cept the loyalist termie squad (they were enjoying the hospitality of the slaaneshi marines on the battle barge, and were too drug iinduced to actually teleport into battle)......

So.....I already know that tis is the most evil armyb in existance....so....how do i beat it?

Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we can help you more when we know a bit about his tactics so you/we can set up a counter tactic.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

It actually doesn't sound that scary to me.... 2500 points, eh? fill up 4 of your troop slots with 5 man squads, with las cannons, and take down the Dready and the LRC. THat will take a good 750 points out of the battle, at least for a few turns, costing you about 400 points in marine troop chioces. You need to stack up on elites. Termies are good, but only in certain uses. I would take a ven dread with TL las and ML, with tank hunter, and then a regular dready with ass+ccw, incase he gets too close. Then, maybe a small 5 man termie squad with 2 ass cannons. Now, you are getting kind of low on points, so I would put in a basic commander with terminator armor, and put him and the termies inside a LRC of your own. You should be at 2000 points now, if not a little over. Put in an 8 man devastator squad, and then either two LST's or 2 full tac squads. That should keep him busy.

No offense, but his army really isn't that scary. You are Dark angels, he is Blood Angels, shooty vs. CC ; just back up as you shoot, except your tac squads. The only thing he has that is 'scary' is the death company, and the assault marines. Just be happy he isn't running a moriar, or a dante.
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is that he charges everything pretty much straight across the board. The only real way to beat this is to set up good fire lanes and take out as much as you possibly can before he closes. You should be able to down the dread fairly easily with a lascannon or two. The Death company squad should be a high priority and it should be shot until dead, the honor guard is up there to but not as scary to me as the DC is. The key to shooting them is a to focus on one target until it is either annihilated or is combat ineffective before moving on to another target.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but his army really isn't that scary. You are Dark angels, he is Blood Angels, shooty vs. CC ; just back up as you shoot, except your tac squads. The only thing he has that is 'scary' is the death company, and the assault marines. Just be happy he isn't running a moriar, or a dante.
    You haven't seen the honour guard......all 2+ saves, powerfists and his commander is as good as dante apart from the high WS and special gear. He also backs up his troops with heavy weapons to neutralise any heavy weaponry we can throw in his direction (he is extremely good with his rolls). In the army list i used, i used a termie commander with a retinue of 4 termies with 2 assault cannons, a dread with TL lascannon+ML and tank hunters (was tied up in cc with the honour guard by turn 2 due to blood rage). I also had 3 mini tac squads which had 2 plasma cannons and a lascannon, whic were annihilated by fire from the LRC and the close combat uberness of the assault squad.

His main tactics, at least for this battle, were to have 4 main charges - the honour guard,the DC,the assault squad and the assault termies in the LRC. another regular termie squad, the LRC, Baal pred, dread and 3 tac squads provided heavy fore support.
    Our tactics involved standng and shooting - but thanks to some pathetic shooting, our opponent managed a 2ndturn charge, although we may have gone a little OTT with the amount of terrain. Also, the board we wereusing was 6ft by about 3.5ft, which contributed to the time it took to cross the board.
    However, as I am a nid player I cant really make issues of the board width/amountof terrain as I also play nids and this would impact my games using them (genestealors - the ultimate answer to everything BA can throw at me).
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

You are facing a nasty marine assault army.

You yourself are Dark Angels....

Why not get fluffy?

Whats Fluffy for DA you say? PLASMA.

400 points honro guard all with 2+ saves? Sounds like plasma cannon fodder, hook up say three of those on that squad and its scariness starts to dwindle. Many of the good Tank Hunting tactics have already been mentioned but keep in mind plasma guns/cannons work great for assault termies and assault squad too.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Havarel
    You haven't seen the honour guard......all 2+ saves, powerfists and his commander is as good as dante apart from the high WS and special gear.
    His entire honour guard has artificier armour? That's new. Four hundred points in one squad is like asking for a plasma cannon. You're Dark Angels. Plasma is your speciality.

He also backs up his troops with heavy weapons to neutralise any heavy weaponry we can throw in his direction (he is extremely good with his rolls).
    We can't help with his luck. I assume the heavy weapons are the tactical squads and the scouts. First, ignore the scouts. A five-man squad of snipers is good for fighting high-toughness creatures and little else. Since you'll never be moving, what with playing Dark Angels and all, pinning isn't nearly as much of a disadvantage to you. If he's playing hide-the-lascannon, counter that by doing it yourself. With that many terminators and a Land Raider, you should have three squads of Devastators with plasma and lascannons.

In the army list i used, i used a termie commander with a retinue of 4 termies with 2 assault cannons, a dread with TL lascannon+ML and tank hunters (was tied up in cc with the honour guard by turn 2 due to blood rage). I also had 3 mini tac squads which had 2 plasma cannons and a lascannon, whic were annihilated by fire from the LRC and the close combat uberness of the assault squad.
    Is that all you had? A dreadnought, a squad of terminators, and three small tactical squads? Either you got your math wrong or those terminators are costing waaay too much. In a shooty army, the Master does little more than provide high leadership. He shouldn't really be doing anything else.

I don't understand that bit with the Dreadnought. They had to charge him, or they got insanely lucky with Black Rage rolls? Either way, even if they moved 18'' a turn - which requires them to roll a one, a six, a one, and then another six - I don't see how they got into melee that quickly. Or why they weren't shot to pieces.

You've put a lot of points into a terminators squad with strictly short-range weaponry against a guy who would love for you to let him get in close. Bigger tactical squads. Use cover to strike first when he charges. Plasma guns.

His main tactics, at least for this battle, were to have 4 main charges - the honour guard,the DC,the assault squad and the assault termies in the LRC. another regular termie squad, the LRC, Baal pred, dread and 3 tac squads provided heavy fore support.
    Our tactics involved standng and shooting - but thanks to some pathetic shooting, our opponent managed a 2ndturn charge, although we may have gone a little OTT with the amount of terrain. Also, the board we wereusing was 6ft by about 3.5ft, which contributed to the time it took to cross the board.
    If he's just charging straight forward, the solution should be easy. First, that LRC should be immobilised by the second turn. There should be devastators, a Predator, and bigger tactical squads in your army. Get an Annihilator and that Land Raider goes off the board to something two-thirds of its cost, and those Terminators are left standing in the middle of the battlefield looking really embarrassed.

A Baal Predator is not a fire support weapon. It's not that heavily armoured. Every game I've played, my Baal gets wiped out first or second turn. Both the Baal and the LRC are close-in tanks. Don't let them get close in. That's all I can say.

If all your problems stemmed from rolling badly, there's nothing wrong and there's nothing we can help. We don't know any heeby-jeeby voodoo magic to give you good luck. Ask John Safran.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread