Plasma pistols, melta guns, and when to run away - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plasma pistols, melta guns, and when to run away

I've taken a look through the old threads and seen many plasma vs melta discussions, and a lot of army lists recommend going down the plasma gun/pistol route. Against Space marines at least; and i only ever play against space marines (or their chaos friends).

My question is what are peoples feelings on plasma pistols? There are two problems I have. The first is that if the enemy get within that range, most of the guardsmen will be rapid fired to death and the squad will leg it. This would imply that I don't want to be in that range.

If I survive the hail of bullets I can shoot with my pistol - twice in fact! But at the range I'm at it would be perhaps more prudent to leg it to avoid close combat.
    The exception to this is when the enemy can ran far faster than the guard.

So what are people's opinion on short ranged deadly weapons? Are they worth the points? And when does it become running away time?

Thannks for your input

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going to stand and shoot with a pistol, you better kill them right then and there, because otherwise they're within assault range come their turn, and this is a very bad place to be if you're the guard against SMs...

also don't forget that just because they're within 12" doesn't mean you HAVE to rapid fire with the PGs... you can still opt to only take one shot.

As far as when to run... it all depends on your tactics... if you have warrior weapons, close order drill, and hardened fighters and want to take a stand, charge them first instead of firing with the pistol twice. If the squad with the pistol is oriented for shooting, run the hell away... only problem is that even if you run you'll take bolter-fire to the back.

In all honesty, when using a standard guard army, the only time you should ever be rapid firing is if it will kill all of what you're shooting at, or you're intent is to sacarafice the firing squad. Anything that gets within 12" of the guard and survives to their turn will likely kill whatever guard squad is in front of them.

However, a tactic I hear of fairly often is to throw a unit forward into combat to tie-up an enemy squad while you re-arrange your other squads into a better position.

In any case, there should be very few times where you'll actually be able to make use of the stand & shoot option of the pistol...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arr

Yeah that makes sense to me. I've tried the holding up enemy squads in close combat thing but in the end it usually just gives them a free 6" consolidation move

I hadn't thought about the being shot in the back thing ... that makes it a very painful decision indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elecmonk
    My question is what are peoples feelings on plasma pistols? There are two problems I have. The first is that if the enemy get within that range, most of the guardsmen will be rapid fired to death and the squad will leg it. This would imply that I don't want to be in that range.

If I survive the hail of bullets I can shoot with my pistol - twice in fact! But at the range I'm at it would be perhaps more prudent to leg it to avoid close combat.
    The exception to this is when the enemy can ran far faster than the guard.

So what are people's opinion on short ranged deadly weapons? Are they worth the points? And when does it become running away time?

Thannks for your input
    Plasma pistols are worth it in my opinion. Any chance to kill a marine and ignore their armour save is worth it. The only exceptions I would have would be on giving plasma pistols to officers in your HQ who you probably dont want to get fried. Infantry platoon leaders on the other hand are fine candidates.

Retreating your men when they are within rapid fire distance of the enemy? Hate to tell you this, but guardsmen wont be outrunning anything. All they will do is get shot again next turn. Of course, you probably didn't survive those 20 odd bolter shots the first time, so probably not an issue.

@kidsyndrome:
    Im sure I have read in a faq somewhere that you HAVE to fire at the maximum rate for rapid fire weapons if targets are within 12". Sure you can choose not to fire at all, but if a target is within 12", then you are taking 2 shots at it with your plasma gun/lasgun/other rapid fire weapon. I'm going to dig around for where I read that however, just to make doubly sure. Pistols, not being rapid fire, of course dont have this problem.

Edit: Ok found it,
    "5. Are you required to fire twice with rapid fire weapons if within 12". This should not matter with most rapid fire weapons, but becomes critically important with plasma. If I must rapid fire, I have to roll twice overheating on a 1 or 2. Many times people have declared that they are shooting only once.

A: You may choose not to fire with weapons at all but if you fire them they must fire at their maximum rate for the range. Troops in action are a bit less calculating than their controlling players might like.
    P18 says that individual models can choose not to shoot."

Taken from the GW forum "Some 40K rules clarifications from Pete Haines" thread.
    Last edited by MTG Guru; January 10th, 2006 at 00:24.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elecmonk
    Yeah that makes sense to me. I've tried the holding up enemy squads in close combat thing but in the end it usually just gives them a free 6" consolidation move

I hadn't thought about the being shot in the back thing ... that makes it a very painful decision indeed.
    thats why you take conscripts,rough riders or ogryns.
    killing 50 conscripts in one turn with one squad is nearly impossible.
    Though rough riders are meant for you to charge a squad so you get those s5 power weaps
    My armies not meant to have this dilema cause i have 3 russes
    and infantry tends to be a weak point for me(i take h weaps in every squad though)
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

+ Reply to Thread