death korps or the cadians? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

death korps or the cadians?

Well I'm moving on to my second guard army. My first was just a copy from the halo 2 game and as much as I found it fun I want a army that is stamped with my personality (or whatever it said in the codex). I don't want a copy but I want either to use a death korps look or a cadian as the basic look for my army. The problem is both of them look sooo cool.
    I like the cadians because they have that military looking theme on them and they got so many possibilities for conversion. Mix in a few commissars, snipers, stormies and trench coat wearing officers and I got one heck of military army, I simply don't want to loose this look.It's more of a army look then a individual look. Then comes the death korps and dang are they ever the best looking guardsmen I ever seen! I'd join the korps simply to get one of those fine looking uniforms! Their gritty ww1/ww2 look just makes them look awesome! And did I mention their artwork that was on the cover of whitedwarf once (in any have that pick please post a link). Now this is where I get a headache. It's either that cool looking uniform army or the plain kick-butt look of the korps. I also think that commissars, kasrkin, and my converted officers might look out of place. And the cost would be high. Anyone willing to help and offer advise?

I seen a thread (not here) about a korps trooper made by cadian parts, greenstuff, and the krieg tank commander in forgeworld. Can anyone show where it is?

I feel as if I'm explaining dileme on my aesthetic taste to a psychiatrist.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how you feel, those death korps do look awesome

but of the two, cadians are considerably more economical... which is why I have them instead of Death Korps. You'd also have to convert your whole Death Korps army, which is a big turn off, for me at least, as I don't think I have the spare sanity left to convert 100+ models.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Well it's down to personal opinion at the end of the day. But I would warn you, that if you decide to go down the Death Corps road you will need to individualy convert every model, and it would be much more expensive.

You could get a much larger Cadian-based army for your money, and the conversion possibilities are just as good, if not better because the vast majority of the models will be plastic.

Go with whichever you like the most, but Death Corps will require a huge investment in time and money. Don't forget you could combine the two. Cadians could be your standard infantry, and Death Corps could be elite troopers assigned from another regiment. Represented by perhaps drop troops, veterans or even Strom Troopers in game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Bobahat wrote a good guide for converting Death korp guys here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=47308 (The Ultimate Imperial Guard Conversion Guide)

Enjoy:yes:
    By day he fought with sword and shield.....
    By night he fought with pen and parchment.....
    He was....The Warrior Poet.......

Fear the ANZAC Clan!!!!!

ORDER OF THE SHADOWY FLAME!!!

Do you have uber micro...????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I know I could use the steel legion minis but heres a model that I really like. http://bootae.ibforums.com/index.php...=0&#entry63746 Does anybody know how this model was made? I'm interested in making this kind of conversion.

Now I'm wondering if Kasrkin, commissars and other units that I like would blend in nicely with the army. These units of course look awesome in a cadian army I have a feeling they would stick out like a sore ugly thumb in a army with krieg models. Any ideas how I can get around this?

Also I don't want a death korps army. Like I said I want my own original army with it's own conversions but I'm deciding on the "base" look of my army. So for example if I get a cadian look I convert to make their armour diffrent untill they have a kind of variant cadian uniform that I like, same goes for the korps, understand? So I guess conversions come into play here. And as a final question to this post what looks more intimidating or cool cadian snipers/troops or korps snipers/troops? The reason I ask is because I know guardsmen are human that should not put shame on them and make them look weak rather I perfer it if my boys looked like they're no pushovers and a challenge but at the same time not lose their humanity. I don't want them to be fanatical maniacs I want sorrow, hope and all those other emotions a real human would feel in war. But at the same time I don't want a army of half-trained cowardly cannon fodder who's only purpose is to drown the enemy in their blood. Any ideas how I can display bravery and drama in my army. I know one guy had his medic converted to make him look like he was holding dog-tags drenched in blood in one hand and a whole bunch of blood on his medikit (i'm guessing some people didn't make it), now that was some dramatic stuff he had their. Any ideas how I can convert to do the same (either for cadians or korps)?
    Last edited by Hell Knight; January 10th, 2006 at 23:39.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Hell Knight
    Well I know I could use the steel legion minis but heres a model that I really like. http://bootae.ibforums.com/index.php...=0&#entry63746 Does anybody know how this model was made?
    That looks to me like a heavily greenstuffed Cadian with his shoulderpads cut of. I recognise that as the cadian pattern lasgun, those boots are defenatly cadian aswell, as is his backpack and torso. I'm guessing the helmet is too, just using alot of cutting and greenstuff.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, from reading it, I believe it is a Death Korps Tank commander (forge world) with Cadian parts and a green stuff coat.
    How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id say if u like conversions go death korps beacause they look awesome. Especially with the masks they look so cool
    “Krump first, assk qweztions neva'!"- 3000 Orks
    5/4/2
    Dark Eldar- 1500 1/0/0
    "the very gods for vengeance cry”- 3000 Dwarves
    3/1/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I remember that awesome death korps trooper made from the tank commander too.. Wonder where he went? It was definately Cadian legs and a green stuff coat though. It also had a backpack, for which necromunda is apparently quite a good source.

The question is, are you prepared to pay a lot, and spend a long time converting to get an army which looks that cool? Because if you aren't, you can still do death korps, but don't expect it to look like it does in the book.

People have suggested wisely.. Cadians are the economical option, but if you wanna do something original and have an army which looks severely cool. Death korps are my bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could check out the Cadian upgrade packs from forgeworld. A bit pricey but giving the command squads, or the entire army, heads with respirators could give you both the Krieg "face-less bad-ass" look as well as the Cadian "professional military" look. If you're good with the green you could sculpt it yourself.
    The other nice thing with the death corps is the heavy weapon teams, but that look can also be imitated with cadian bitz, you just have to be creative
    Also check out forgeworlds elysians, they have an excellent weapon pack with bipod mounted special weapons and bullpup lasguns (= magazines behind the trigger) who are just too good not to mention. I'm not sure how easy it is to convert cadians to carry them but t should be possible...

Things like converting equipment doctrines can also be a good way to personilize your army. Giving them cadians carapace is relatively easy (though it's a lot of work) and can really make the army unique.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast