Can witch hunters actually hunt witches? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Can witch hunters actually hunt witches?

OK this is kind of an odd question, but do any witch hunters players find that they actually have an advantage against psyker heavy armies? I just read someone in the penitent engine thread saying that they had a hard time vs Thousand Sons because of all the psy attacks. This isn't how it should be! Witch hunters should be better than anyone else at fighting psyker heavy armies like Eldar and TS, but this doesn't really seem to be the case.

Is this because most WH players don't bother with the anti-psyker gear as it would leave them open against normal armies, or because the anti-psyker powers of the WH are actually not strong enough to make any real difference? Or is it a bit of both? A marine player I know who's never played a WH army won't take a librarian if he thinks he might be playing WH because he assumes (naturally) that the WH will eat his librarian for breakfast. I'm sad to say I don't think this is really the case, and I reckon his librarian would have no more chance of dying agianst the average WH army than against any other army.

Are we witch hunters in name only?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti witch we can be but me thinks you have to take a few more units with the "Faithful" special rule because they all get a save against psychic powers (like warp blasts...YAY!!) and minor powers have no effect on them at all along with an Inquistor with a psy hood can shut them down pretty well leaves you with a solid fire base but your psy opponent can target your non faithful units like Pentients which reduces your ability to hit them with the big stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK can WH be anti psyker - yes - absolutley.

Are most WH armies anti psyker? no absolutley not

Why? cos most people figure out what works for them at a specific points total and use that, making the army anti psyker requires investment of large amount of points in =][=s, this is all rather ineffective compared to other options against armies that are not psyker heavy, so most people dont bother. Accordingly WH armies are poorly names, the majority would be better described (as they used to be) as Sisters of Battle armies, mine certainly is.
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This does depend a lot on the armies you regularly play - friends or the local store lot. I play 5 armies regularly - 3 have uber psyker generals. Thus, I find that it pays off to have the anti-psyker gear, seeing as I can annihilate their 200 point hero most games:w00t:. Then again, if you have an absence of psyker opponents, it is all just one big points-sink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Even average psykers are not woth doing it, it needs to be, as pro_necron says- uber psyker or a lot of psykers, and teh latter is questionable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Against Ulthwé it could be quite useful, but then only if you knew that you were playing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

As I just mentioned in another post, Eldar actually worry me slightly on this score, most of the psychic powers are outranged by ulthwe with augment,
    most of the wargear wounds easily, which aint really a problem against eldar, and ignored inv saves - which, since their armour save is teh same as thier inv is pretty irrelevent.

Against Eldar, and particularly Ulthwe, I would only really consider an =][= for the psykic hood, and given that criteria, I probably wouldnt bother but instead would get more bolters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Most of the wargear is pretty useless. You have to get in real close to use it, and it's too pricey for it's specific usage. But there a few things in our favor. The resistance of our main troops, for starters. The psychic hood works well also. And the Inquisitor opens up Assassins as a unit option. In higher point games, I often add Hammer of the Witches. All it has do to earn it's points back for the game is wound a single enemy psyker independant character (50% Victory points for wounding them ). And I make sure to point out the free psychic powers any opponent of the Witch Hunters can add to thier HQs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Hmmmm witch hunters are good against psykers but the problem with thousand sons is that their basic troops are hard. But if since sisters are imune against minor powers it means that some of their spells don;t work
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Actually, they aren't pourly named.

The Witch Hunters can be set up to own anything Psychic.

But the Adeptus Sororitas (I think I spelled it wrong...) are not, they just so happen to have a special rule against Psychic stuff, but other than that.....

Don't forget that the WH codex is part WH, part SoB the way I see it. (Adeptus Arbites stand between the 2)

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast