Librarium Online Forums banner

tank problems

895 views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  CowboyAdam512 
#1 ·
I currently am fielding a heavy weapons bassed army, my problem is that my most common opponent is fielding land raider crusader which seems to be impervious to nearly everything I throw at it (not to mention the squad of demon hunter terminators inside of it).

any suggestions on how to deal with this problem? tactics? wargear? etc.....

#2 ·
Well the traditional suicide squad with meltaguns always seems a favourite to knock one out. Deep strike/infiltrate/however you do it get a small squad of Hardened Veterans next to one and go knocking on the door with your Melta. However after you've managed to kill it, don't expect those poor sods to survive for very long. Alternatively instead of a scalpel use a sledgehammer - aka fire 6+ Lascannon at it per turn. Even if you don't kill it, immobilising it should keep it's horrible cargo nicely away from you.

#3 ·
hey are we fighting the same person?
Damn deamon hunters

what works for me is to load up on lascannons, because lascannons go along way while killin the termies too.

Here is your other option add into your army a Leman Vanquiser 4+ to hit 2 D6 Armor Pen 96"

But in the end what Addoran said the Vet squad does work the best

#4 ·
If you want some added nastiness and think you might be able to get close enough to use it... throw meltabombs on the sergeant or even the whole squad.

Rough Riders with Meltaguns/bombs would be nasty, too... 6" move, Fleet of Hoof, 12" Charge... you could be goin up to 24" in a single turn! Assault the tank and slap a couple meltabombs up on it... he'll never know what hit him!

#5 ·
I hear ya bud. I played a mate who fielded a normal landraider and it took me 3 rounds of shooting to kill it. 4 Lascannons per turn.. and never rolling high enough to glance, let alone penetrate! In the end he brought it into range of my demolisher and its main cannon blew it to smithereens. And yeah, that time I did roll the magic 6.

#6 ·
Load up on plasma guns- they make terminators not worth taking. For the land raider you want to go with 3+ lascannons, and throw a few meltaguns somewhere in your front lines for backup. I have GK termies and I play IG- trust me on the plasma guns. There is a good chance that one piddly little trooper can fry two terminators in one rapid firing turn. The land raider is good, but barring any terrible rolling it should be dead after turn 2.

#8 ·
kidsyndrome said:
Rough Riders with Meltaguns/bombs would be nasty, too... 6" move, Fleet of Hoof, 12" Charge... you could be goin up to 24" in a single turn! Assault the tank and slap a couple meltabombs up on it... he'll never know what hit him!
yeah AND if you block alll escape exits with them the 10 termis die in the land raider.thats like 500 some pts dead in one second

#9 ·
I would definitely go with the melta-toting vet squad. I don't really like to trust in single-shot, BS-3 lascannons for 14-av jobs like that. For some reason, I can never trust in the dice gods to do me any favors. Meltaguns though, they are pretty much guaranteed to fry any tank they get close enough to. I load them in a chimera (the last tank anyone will ever focus on) and then give them a nasty surprise.

Abe

#10 ·
Abraham Lincoln said:
I would definitely go with the melta-toting vet squad. I don't really like to trust in single-shot, BS-3 lascannons for 14-av jobs like that. For some reason, I can never trust in the dice gods to do me any favors. Meltaguns though, they are pretty much guaranteed to fry any tank they get close enough to. I load them in a chimera (the last tank anyone will ever focus on) and then give them a nasty surprise.

Abe
Also remember you can fire a melta out of a chimera's top hatch, which makes it easier to get within the range for the melta money shot. This works especially well if you charge the LR with a leman and a chimera together. Odds are the LR will make the wrong choice and smoke the russ.

#11 ·
The problem is, a Chimera needs to sit still to fire out the top hatch, so you will only be able to fire the turn after it pulls up. however, if you got close enough you could move 12", blow smoke and dismount the troops, then they could fire their Meltas into it. If you managed to get within 6" of it, it's as good as dead (asuming you have 2+ melta in the squad).

#12 ·
melta equipped rr work wonders, but the problem is that most people would expect something like that (my friends always shoot up my rough riders first) the suicide squad works, but if you get a bad scatter if you're deepstriking, too bad, and if you are dependent on anything else, the other player will probably see through it and shoot them.

That having been said, lascannons are great for this, not only because you'll be able to start pelting that LRC from the start of the game, but also because it's great for killing the termies inside.

Also a possibility, allied seraphim equipped with Meltas (they'll still get shot a lot, but power armor can go a long way) can work wonders against anything with an armor value especially if you give the 2 special weapons choices inferno pistols. Or, if you had the initiative, make ur HSO a demonhost using the adversaries rule, and then let a Bloodthirster of Khorne arbitrarily appear onto the battlefield, and then charge the LRC (monstrous creature+rediculous strength=dead LRC) and also make ur opponent poo himself.

#13 ·
IGFreely said:
Also remember you can fire a melta out of a chimera's top hatch, which makes it easier to get within the range for the melta money shot. This works especially well if you charge the LR with a leman and a chimera together. Odds are the LR will make the wrong choice and smoke the russ.
Wait a minute... I never even thought of that!! :w00t: I've been meaning to review my transport rules; in that situation, would the melta be considered "defensive"? That's a good idea indeed.

#14 ·
Abraham Lincoln said:
Wait a minute... I never even thought of that!! :w00t: I've been meaning to review my transport rules; in that situation, would the melta be considered "defensive"? That's a good idea indeed.
No it isn't Abraham. Read a few posts up where I mentioned that the tank needs to be stationary to do it. It counts as the squad's weapon. Not the tank's, and also - it makes the Chimera open-topped for a turn. So it isn't really that good, as the squad could just as easily have got out and used their meltagun a turn before.

This is a good ability, but keep it for squads armed with heavy weapons inside Chimeras which don't intend to move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.