Starting, advice please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member I am the Monkey King's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting, advice please

Being rather new to this I'm considering sarting an SM army so far I have 1 tac squad (from the battle of macragge box) and will probably be fighting tyranids mostly.

Any advice on what I should buy first please?

Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.

+++ Osric the Loopy, planetary governor of Corania (appointed 756.M41, removed from office by the Officio Assassinorum 764.M41) +++

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MORE MARINES!

I started just the same way as you...with the BFM box set. I then went out and got 2 boxs of tac. squads, and then a HQ...this gives u the basics with some options. As for your HQ choice it depends on how many points ur planing on playing, but a Space Marine Commander is pretty versitile as im sure ull be playing smaller point games first off. Then i got Dreadnaught and scouts. A list that i tend to play with is Commander, 3 or 4 squads or marines, dreadnaught and some scouts. It depends on how you want ur army to play, but tac. squads are MUST.

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome to the hobby.

...SquishyB

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Probably a chaplin would be a good buy for a HQ. I reccomend having at least 30 marines but 20 is the bare minimum.

A whirlwind is also a good buy as it devastates 'nids. A dreadnaught might be worth it (I love dreadnaughts) as they are an all round unit.

Maybe some assault marines for good measure.

Remember, you can never have enough marines. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh. Now I know the answer. 8D Get another tactical squad, at least, and a HQ unit (Chaplain, Hero or Librarian), and go for as much shooty stuff as possible. There are specific weapon choices that might work better, but that's really up to ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I'm thinking a captain (is a command squad a good idea), 2 or 3 tac squads and maybe a devestator squad. Shooting's simpler than cc. Does this sound good? and any thoughts on what to give my captain and heavy weapons marines?
    Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.

+++ Osric the Loopy, planetary governor of Corania (appointed 756.M41, removed from office by the Officio Assassinorum 764.M41) +++

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should invest in another tac squad (2 would be good) a chappie and some LST's with HB/AC combo. The AC and HB will rip through nids like butter and help contain their numbers. Also, I suggest equipping your tac squads with HBs. Assault squads would be good to attach the Chappie to, and equipping them with plasma is usually a good choice.
    The New Yawka of TheAmericanClan
    Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    [15:29] <Caluin> I don't care where you came from, if I can smash my forehead into your nuts, I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoboss
    [12:06] * Phoboss IS INVICLBLE!

The Star Wars Clan

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Command squads aren't really worth it unless (@ 1500 points) you have an uber assaulty army. They cost too much for basically an expensive tactical squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never actually considered Land speeders, I'll have to think about that. Any advice on how to equip a commander, nothing too expensive points wise hopefully.
    Last edited by I am the Monkey King; January 15th, 2006 at 23:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea your best bet is goin to be shooting the crap outta em....as you proberly know.

I took a devestor squad into 600point games when i started and i was flamed pretty heavyly for it. But i was vs. nids once, and they just sat in cover and kept shooting, and they did dwindle their numbers, but they werent the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, purely speculatively at the moment how does this army list sound for a tyranid killing army?

HQ

SM Captain
    master crafted storm bolter
    power weapon
    100 points

Command squad
    1 sergeant + 9 marines with bolt pistol and ccw
    2 Heavy Bolters
    180 points

Troops

10 man tac squad
    missile launcher
    flamer
    166 points

10 man tac squad
    lascannon
    meltagun
    175 points

Fast Attack

2 land speeder tornados with HB and AC
    160 points

Heavy support

5 man devestator squad
    4 HB
    135 points

A few questions: Are the points right? Is this a legal army? Am I putting in too many Heavy Bolters? And most importantly, is it any good?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast