Ultramarine Tactics Vs Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling to all Marine players, I have an Eldar player (whom i havent lost too yet) who has just had alot of help from {Ads-Protection} for strats and so forth. I need to know if there are any other ideas on how to combat the ever increasing threat of the Eldar on our Emperor's (Bless his name) way of life.

My strat so far has been Terminators in a spearhead with Scouts(Sniper) and Tacticals backing them. Sweeping with a Vet Squad, and all lead by a Chaplain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Given I have played both eldar and nilla marines since 1st ed I may be able to help, idealy with more info from you, your army list? points played? Which eldar?

I am surprised you termie speakhead works, as an eldar player, I rub my hands with glee anytime termies appear on the field. 50 points worth of D cannon can destroy aan entire termie squad per turn. Banshees can rip them to shred, bright lances can drop them too.

Against Eldar with nilla marines I tend to take something like:

HQ with pistol, power weapon, inv save and termie honours
    either a Captain or a Chaplain, possibly bopth if we play at around 1500 points+

Elites:
    Dread - TL las cannon and CCW with Flamer, EA and smoke - initially to shoot vehicles but afterwards get in there

Troops
    Scout squad (1) comprising 8 scouts and a Sgt, all the scouts have sniper rifles (how to stop an avatar, can also get involved with sniping fights against Eldar rangers although you need numericcal superiority

Tac squads,
    a number of squads like: 10 marines, tooled vet Sgt, a flamer (always against eldar) and possibly a missile launcher, usually dont bother with the rhino
    at least 2 squads of 6 marines, missile launcher, possible a flamer, Razorback with EA and smoke and TL LC

FA: Land speed variant with assult cannon and HB

HS:
    All the whirlwinds you can get your mits on (usually one for me)

Dev squad: usually 2 plasma Cannon and 2 missile launcher

Have the HQs joint the bigger tac squads: these are your front line, everything else piles fire into the eldar, Choose your targets, if you have a choice then try and shoot his assult squads and assult his shooty squads

Give me more info and I will provide more specific tactics
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wreath, will eventually figure out how to paste those Terminators. His starcannons (SC) will be the problem for that spearhead because you will only get your 5+ save from such a large amount of incoming SC shots with a 2+ wound roll. I think Scouts can handle his Wraithlord /w SC while bigger guns can take the War Walkers /w SC without a problem. I guess you could use a vehicle to block his starcannons line of sight on your Terminators. Something like a Rhino or Razorback would be good. A Landraider would lose its high armour to a bightlance or sometihng equally lame.

Dont forget that your average bolter wounds him on a 3+. Its only a select amount of his Heavy Support that poses a real threat. If you remove his walkers you can do what you like with the rest of his troops.
    IG since '95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

"only a select amount of HS that poses a real threat"?

Vypers? Banshees? Fire dragons? weapons plaforms? Wraith gaurd? Wraith Lords? bla bla bla bla
    Even shuriken catapults can be devestating, that move, plus assult2? in a squad of 20 gaurdians, or even Ulthwe balck gaurdians? thats is 40 shots, for BG that is 24 hits, 12 wounds, even termies will lose 2 guys and that is ignoring any weapons platform in the squad
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to Cher, i always play against your run of the mill Eldar, sometimes craftworlds. But is there anything in your experience Hyper-Effective vs the Eldar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accidental double-post. Sorry.
    IG since '95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Vypers? Banshees? Fire dragons? weapons plaforms? Wraith gaurd? Wraith Lords? bla bla bla bla

Umm... as far as I know Vypers, Banshees, Fire Dragons and Wraith Guard are not Heavy Support choices in a regular Eldar army list, Cheredanine. If you quote me at least try to comprehend what i am discussing rather than writing a reply where every sentence ends in a question mark and is totally off topic.

Back to the point, Cheredanine, we have only been playing small battles (750 points usually) for a cool campaign that, CaptainInvicticus, created. The Eldar player usually takes 1-3 Wraithlords (various wepaons) with a Farseer HQ. He rarely uses Rangers (may become a more common sight in his army) but Guardians are obviously a regular. His Aspect choices are rarely predictable except for his Dark Reapers which are usually tagging along.

So, Eldar player:
    Farseer, Guardians, Dark Reapers and Wraithlords are the core of his armies.

CaptainInvicticus:
    "My strat so far has been Terminators in a spearhead with Scouts(Sniper) and Tacticals backing them. Sweeping with a Vet Squad, and all lead by a Chaplain."
    IG since '95.

Closed Thread