Thunder Hammers VS Night Bringer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thunder Hammers VS Night Bringer

I've been destroyed the past two 1500pt games against my buddies necrons. He marches his Night Bringer "God" thing right into the first unit he can, destroys it and moves to the next.

I have NEVER killed it, or even come close. To do that I'm afraid I would have to dedicate too much firepower for too many turns.

Enter thunder hammers. Doubles your strength and reduces your opponent initiative to 1 for the next turn. I just got my CC Termies, perhaps I could load them in my LR and run them straight into this guy. Has anyone done this before? Are thunder hammers as great as they appear?

How do you destroy these godless necrons?

My blast template of S10 AP2 will toast all terminators.

Iron Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Hidden Powerfists/Hammers... and lots of high-S firepower.

Don't go throwing Terminators, etc. at it... it will eat your units alive like that.

A lot of points are thrown into the C'tan Gods, points that are not "Necron" units... with means, Phase Out is always easier to achieve. The C'tan are also slow, and the Nightbringer is even worse in that it doesn't have any true abilities outside of CC (the Deceiver has other uses) - so, it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid.

However, if you really want to brave it.... I'd suggest trying out a tooled-out HQ. Just because it'd be a very fun fight.

Try a Codicier Librarian with a Thunder Hammer, Iron Halo, and the Veil of Time psychic power... throw on a Jump Pack, and make sure he gets the charge on the Nightbringer. Hopefully, the Veil of Time's re-rolls on the Iron Halo's invulnerable save will save him long enough to smack the Nightbringer around with his big Hammer.

However, this isn't the most recommended of things... just a fun way to try it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Either pick him off at a distance or hit it with full close combet force.

What is full close combat force? Well, I would suggest a Terminator chaplain With 7 LIghtning claw Terminators, with furious charge. Let's say you knock the Nightbringer down to 4 wounds; you then hit it with 28 S5 I5 attacks that re-roll to hit and wound. That's 21 hits and about 6 wounds. That's not even enough to kill it. So, I would suggest loading the squad with 4 Lightning claws and 3 thunder hammers. The 4 LIghtning claws are to hit the nightbringer and cause about 2 wounds, and the thunder hammers can then safely finish it off - the Lightning claw termies should be removed when the Nightbringer attacks back. With the 9 thunder hammer attacks, which will cause 6 hits and 4 wounds, the nightbringer will take at least 1 wound, ensuring that next turn at least, it will be killed.

But that's pretty stupid. You're probably going to lose the crusader, at least 6 of the termies, and you'll probably lose the chaplain as well. That's well over 360 pts you'll lose.

When I play against the Nightbringer, it's usually with 2 Force Organization Charts, allowing me to take 2 relics or artifacts. I can take the book of salvation and cup of retribution, and put both of them in the area of attack. That's +2 attacks for everyone in range. So I'll take 8 Terminators in a Land Raider Crusader (furious charge, Lightning claws), a chaplain on a bike, and a LIbrarian who deep-strikes witha command squad near the assault. On the turn I plan to charge the nightbringer, I reveal both holy relics, and charge all 8 termies and the chaplian on bike into the god. The chaplain obviously can't do anything, but the 8 termies hit with 48 attacks. 36 attacks hit, 11 wound, very good chance of a dead nightbringer, as only 5 need to be failed saves.

That's pretty stupid too, as it poses so much risk, and if something goes wrong that's a lot meat for the nightbringer, but if it works, the whole area around the termies will be a death zone. In 3,000 pts, that's a lot of necrons for the termies to eat up witht he claws.

As for smaller games, try to phase the necrons out! In games of 1,500 pts, that's less than 1,200 pts of necrons to kill. In games of around 2,000 pts, you shold get devastators and other heavy weapons like lascannons and missile launchers to hurt the nightbringer before getting some powerfists in combat with it.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis
    Hopefully, the Veil of Time's re-rolls on the Iron Halo's invulnerable save will save him long enough to smack the Nightbringer around with his big Hammer.
    im not trying to bust your bubble... but ctan ignore invulnerable saves
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gen.nehring
    im not trying to bust your bubble... but ctan ignore invulnerable saves
    I seemed to have forgotten that. Thanks for the reminder.

In that case....

Might of Heroes, and as many attack-adding Wargear as possible? Maybe make him an Epistolary, with more wounds, and throw an Adamantine Mantle on there. Or, Veil of Time with the Force Weapon to re-roll the wounds, and pray for the Force Weapon's ability to work in there... or...

...shoot him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost is right

I have some Necrons and I have used the nightbringer a few times. My opponents freak out and pour on the fire power. It's worse than dropping the lith. If they would just stay out of the way and play for phase they would certainly give me a run for the money. Wasting points on those termies is a bad idea unless you are planning on charging Necrons. The CC stud of the Necrons is the nightbringer. Why play to his strength. Nightbringer is SLOW. Stay away. So he'll get a few pot shots with his s9 weapon. So what. Once you charge his lines he is done. Maybe you should post your Army List or give us a run down of the tactics you are using. So you don't kill the nightbringer....are you winning the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Daves' got the idea.

The Nightbringer is a huge chunk of points, especially for armies that are 2000 points and less.

The Nightbringer is also slow, only moving as standard Infantry.

The Nightbringer is also severely limited in that it's only purpose is that of close combat.

For a couple of turns, at least, it shouldn't be difficult to avoid quite easily - if it gets to the point where a CC is inevitable, then charge a cheap unit into it. Don't hope for the win - while that squad is tying the Nightbringer up, make like a Firewarrior and run. Nothing shameful about that, if the rest of your squads can get away from the Nightbringer to avoid it some more, all the while dishing out the damage to those Necrons and going for Phase Out.

That's the most logical of plans, really. If you want to have fun, then try to knock him out with a Librarian, or as said, a Chaplain. But be very, very careful with that, as, chances are, that HQ will get splattered before you can beat the beast.

For a Chaplain, go with a Master of Sanctity, twin lightning claws, Terminator Honours, and a Jump Pack. Add the Adamantine Mantle to that, and you have a chance of surviving the first round of combat - which is good! Charge the thing, deal as many wounds as possible (with re-rolls on to hit and to wound), pray that it doesn't hit you back enough to kill you, and then go at it another round.

If not the most logical of ways, it's definitely one of the more fun ones! Heck, I'd do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

libraian w/ a familar
    bolt pistol
    jump pack
    and master crafter force weapon = 1 dead ass nightbringer
    future commander of the mighty space marine chapter
    Night Shades

I AM CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER bonjordo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Shortcut
    I've been destroyed the past two 1500pt games against my buddies necrons. He marches his Night Bringer "God" thing right into the first unit he can, destroys it and moves to the next.

I have NEVER killed it, or even come close. To do that I'm afraid I would have to dedicate too much firepower for too many turns.

Enter thunder hammers. Doubles your strength and reduces your opponent initiative to 1 for the next turn. I just got my CC Termies, perhaps I could load them in my LR and run them straight into this guy. Has anyone done this before? Are thunder hammers as great as they appear?

How do you destroy these godless necrons?
    What i like to do is this. well the following is generally the core of my army
    4x 6 man las plas squad. hang these babies back, and fire upon that nightbringer. Its simple, and it works. You just have to avoid letting it get into combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bonjordo
    What i like to do is this. well the following is generally the core of my army
    4x 6 man las plas squad. hang these babies back, and fire upon that nightbringer. Its simple, and it works. You just have to avoid letting it get into combat.
    And what do you use to fire at... well, the rest of the army? Maybe even a Monolith?

Lascannons aren't all that effective at taking down a Nightbringer, IMO, and devoting that much firepower to the Nightbringer is exactly what he didn't want to be doing..

Really, I think it'd be a much better strategy to stay away from it, with shooting and CC both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast